PDA

View Full Version : Hope I did the right thing ???????

Alistair Hosie
03-28-2005, 06:43 PM
I finally got an email from ebay tellingme that my credit card expired I had a few of these all of which I ignored.Finally today they said they would cut me off if I did not go into the ebay site and renew my credit card details.as I owed them £5.49 for the months sales.I did this today but I only opened Ebay proper and did not respond to the email and went direct to ebay accounts under "my ebay" then asked for my credit card details which "came up"showing the $5.49 owing and I renewed them did I do the right thing?????worried Alistair

pgmrdan
03-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Sounds like your safe as long as you didn't follow any link included in the email sent to you.

Tinkerer
03-28-2005, 07:03 PM
As long as you did not click on any link in the email to get to ebay. You should be fine. BUT TO ALL THESE ARE BS EMAILS... I sent them to spoof@ebay.com

Here are a couple more to trash. (Links Removed)

You have received this email because we have strong reason to believe that your eBay account had been recently compromised. In order to prevent any fraudulent activity from occurring we are required to open an investigation into this matter. To speed up this process, you are required to verify your eBay account by following the link below.

and..

Dear eBay Member,

During our Security and Resolution Center regular maintainance period it has come to our attention that your eBay Billing Information is out of date. The update process is a very simple and fast one and it must be completed immediately in order to avoid any future issues - Terms of Service (TOS) violations, cancellation of service, account suspension or even account termination.

These came back as BS Phishing... Spamers... just a few of many I've gotten in the past week or so.

Tim

egpace
03-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Rest easy, that's how I have done it in the past and never had a problem. Ebay offers a downloadable toolbar that supposedly protects you against scams, I haven't looked into it as of yet, might be just the ticket to end all the uncertainty.
Ed

Your Old Dog
03-28-2005, 07:46 PM
You did it right. That's how eBay wants you to do it. They want you to log into them and go thru their system and forget any email process.

I blew one of the schammers into eBay and they sent me a letter (from eBay) saying not to answer any mail but to log into system and deal with it from there.

Ray.......

vinito
03-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Hmmmm. I got this one today. The email address appears to be legit, but I'm not going to reply anyway. Hell, if it's legit, let them cancel me. Anybody else get this one?

Usually scams are pretty easy to detect. This one lacks any obvious earmarks, but I'd never click on the link regardless.

Sorry to add yet another ebay scam post.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/mikeyphoto/ebay.jpg

p.s. The only think that doesn't gel with other emails I've recieved from eBay is there is a capital "B" in the above message. Previous legitimate emails have all lower case. Damn. I guess that's enough.

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 03-28-2005).]

Duct Taper
03-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Vinito, the way they addressed you as "Dear valued eBay member" is the key. They would have said "Dear (real name)" if it was legitimate. This is a scam and if you would have answered by clicking on the link in the message they would get your private info. Send it to spoof@ebay.com and then delete it. You will get a message back from eBay addressing you by name and they will say it was not a legitimate message from them.

Same advice for you Alistair. They will use your name, if not it is a scam because they are just fishing by using any email addresses they can get.

dp
03-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Running email servers is what I do for a living and yes, they are all crap. These phishing expoits are very successful, though. Never follow a link - go to the real host site, log in, and examine your account. 99% of the time or more, even, there is nothing at all wrong with your account.

dp

jimfun
03-30-2005, 01:13 AM
I never reply or click links out of e-mails. I only go to there sites from my url box on my browser. This way you insure your not getting a bogus link. Odds are if they had your personal info already they were probably legit. Especially if they knew your card info was expired. For future referance though I would only enter sites from your browser.

ahidley
03-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Do not click on e-mail links.. Ebay does charge your card every month for that months activity. Your card does have an expiraqtion date on it and that is ALSO used in the payment transaction. So eventhough the card uses the same account number the exp date changed. This happened when you called to activate your new/replacement card that was sent to you via the credit card company. So yes you have to update your credit card info on ebay. Thats how it works in the US and I'm sure your country is the same or simular