PDA

View Full Version : gecko 201 problem

snowman
03-29-2005, 10:46 PM
I have a post on the CNCzone website, but nobody's responding...

I finally got my gecko's working...sorta.

They wont reverse. I can get them to change direction if I change the start state of the direction pin from low to high...otherwise, they wont reverse.

My parallel port voltages are a little low, 3.4 volts, so I'm not sure if I might be using up all the amperage available while sinking to the step pin...

Anybody know about these things?

-Jacob

hammerhead74000
03-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Um - what software are you using for this?

>> can get them to change direction if I change the start state of the direction pin from low to high...

So -

Power up. Set the direction pin to low. Issue a pulse stream to the step pin.
Motor turns one way - Right?
Set the direction pin to high. Issue a pulse stream to the step pin.
Motor still turns the same way - Right?

Turn everything off.

Power up. Set the direction pin to high. Issue a pulse stream to the step pin.
Motor turns the other way - Right?
Set the direction pin to high. Issue a pulse stream to the step pin.
Motor still turns the same way, opposite from the original trial (the one that started with the direction pin low) - Right?

How much delay time between setting the direction pin, and starting the step pulse output are you allowing?

snowman
03-29-2005, 11:40 PM
I am using turbocnc right now.

What I did, was sorta like what you said, only I did it all in the software.

Startup, set pin to high, motor turns "clockwise" if jogging to the "right", does not turn counterclockwise if jogging to the left.

Go back into software config, change pin to low..."counterclockwise" if jogging to the "left", no movement if jogging to the right.

As far as "delay"...I take my finger off the right button, move to the left button....

-Jacob

tenfingers
03-30-2005, 12:43 AM
You might try calling Gecko technical support and ask for Mariss. He really helped me out with my Gecko problems a while back.

10F

hammerhead74000
03-30-2005, 02:33 AM
Ok - what CPU and OS are you running, and do you have any version of Turbo Pascal or Borland Pascal installed (if so, which one)?

I'm going to send you a test program, but I need to know the above info to configure it right.

hammerhead74000
03-30-2005, 02:58 AM
Oh, and could you mail me your turbocnc ini file - I can be reached at yahoo, my address is the same there as it is here.

ibewgypsie
03-30-2005, 04:38 PM
7414 Hex inverter chip w/internal smidtt trigger. Beware without the low level cut-off inside the chip you can get false signals that step your drive whether you want it to or not. I used transistors for the first one and it ran away. The pulses from the drive legs cross-talked into the signal of the transistors and of course they amplified it into step logic.

The Hex inverter chip works alone, no other parts needed.
It amplifies the low voltage-current signal of the port to a level compatible with the geckos and other drives.

Search out quickstep cnc software, it has a pretty good definition of it and explains it better than I can. That is what he recomends as a "break out" board for the drives.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 03-30-2005).]

ibewgypsie
03-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Well, he is producing his own breakout board now and does not have the same pictures on there.

snowman
03-30-2005, 05:59 PM
I gave him a call today.

He said same thing you did David.

My choices were to buy a breakout board, or use a 74ACT chip, probably the hex inverter.

Hammer...give me a couple days to give the chip a try...if it doesn't work, I'll definately be contacting you...thank you much.

-Jacob