PDA

View Full Version : Needed a laugh today

John Stevenson
03-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Doing a mod job today on a piece of equipment that had to fit to a larger part that wasn't able to be moved here and was on the customers premises.
This entailed a few phone calls during the morning to check things.
Now this customer for some unknown reason always has his answerphone on during the day forcing you to leave a message and he rings back just when you are up to the eyes in it.
After two such calls I asked him to leave it off as I would need another couple of calls before dinner.

Did he? Did he heck as like.
By dinner time it was starting to wind me up.
They have dinner 12.30 to 1.30 and pop out for it so I had mine same time.

Went in the house and spotted my grandsons old twin deck radio cassette player.
Hunted a couple of tapes out and set it up then rang this customer. Of course I got his answerphone as they were at dinner so I recorded his message. Then rang him back and when it said leave a message I pressed play...............

Spent a good 1/2 hour doing this..............

After dinner I left it a while and rang him and got him on the phone straight away.
"That's better I expected the answerphone"
"Bloody things broke - got back from dinner and all we got was my own message being played back !!"

One has to smile at times like these http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Now for dilemma, should I put the 1/2 on the bill?

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 03-30-2005).]

gglines
03-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Simply brilliant John!

George

ibewgypsie
03-30-2005, 05:54 PM
During a vacation "time off"

Over here, where the phone is left off the hook it says "if you would like to make a call, please hang up and try again, if you need help hang up then call the operator."

I put that on my outgoing message on my machine, people calling in would hear that and follow directions. My vacation was uninteruppted. They thought the phone system had gone crazy.

Your Old Dog
03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
It feels good don't it? !

My sister screens absolutly every call. I got tired of this one time so I left this message, "Shirley, call me right away. I found a used travel trailer like you been looking for in mint conditon and nearly a give away."

When she called back I denied being able to rememeber what it was I wanted to tell her but that I'd call her back if I was able to remember! Sort of like saying, "Hey Fred, never mind." Or, "you know, oh forget it." Never mind." and then refusing to tell'em what was on your mind !!

bob308
03-30-2005, 08:12 PM
well i understand your problem. i have been on both ends. at home we screen every call. or we would be on the phone all the time with some one trying to sell us swamp land or something.

charlie coghill
03-30-2005, 08:16 PM
I love it John. Sure wish I had the tallent to think up ways to make trouble. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Charlie

WJHartson
03-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Love it, you did good.

Joe

snowman
03-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Ahhh....

The 4 bucks a month for caller ID is the best money ever spent over here.

I answer the phone about once a week now, but it rings constantly http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-jacob

David Hanes
03-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Good one, John. My buddy uses his call waiting all the time on his cell phone(usually his wife checking up on him)- and I told him once that I thought it was rude to interrupt our calls. After that, if he would switch over to another caller I would simply hang up. He thought there was something wrong with his cell phone - and returned it! When my laughter quieted to a chuckle, I reminded him that I had warned him.

wierdscience
03-30-2005, 10:46 PM
Good for you!I hate customers who either call constantly or you can never find them when you need them.

The ones who call constantly I fix by charging them $5 per call.

The ones I can never find,I don't look for http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

darryl
03-31-2005, 02:29 AM
That's a good one, John. Don't know if I needed a laugh today, but I got one. Love it.

Weston Bye
03-31-2005, 07:40 AM
I had one customer who would have his secretary call me and "hold for Mr.---"
and I would have to wait on hold for him. Really frosted me, but times were hard then and I needed the business. Never figured out a decent response...

Wes

Weston Bye
03-31-2005, 07:50 AM
Concerning call waiting...
I was mowing grass and stumbled, falling backward, pulling the mower up over my foot. It nearly chopped my big toe off. I was home alone, so I called my brother who lived up the street. My niece answered "Oh, hi uncle Wes, I'm on the other line, just a minute. <click>" I patiently waited, watching my toe leak blood...

Wes

andypullen
03-31-2005, 09:44 AM
That's a good one, John. I'll have to remember it.

Andy Pullen

Rustybolt
03-31-2005, 10:05 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wes1:
I had one customer who would have his secretary call me and "hold for Mr.---"
and I would have to wait on hold for him. Really frosted me, but times were hard then and I needed the business. Never figured out a decent response...

Wes</font>

My answer to this one always is;"tell Mr. Soand So I called about such and such. He can call me back when he is free. I'll have my phone with me. The number is......."

If it's important enough for him, then he can talk, If it isn't, then I don't have the time to wait for him. There are other things to do in the shop than wait on the phone.

Tinkerer
03-31-2005, 11:32 AM
That's a good one John. Almost as annoying... well maybe more so are the nuisance faxes you know the ones Check this box and fax back. Well after requesting they stop sending me this trash. The next one I received I waited till 1am took a long piece of black paper feed it into fax and taped it to make a loop... dialed and sent. It went on till I received a LINE ERROR!!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

I tried to be nice.. I asked politely... they wanted a fax I gave it to them. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Tim

darryl
03-31-2005, 09:24 PM
"they wanted a fax, I gave it to them" .

I'm gonna keep following this thread, it's giving me the best medicine!