PDA

View Full Version : New preesishayun tool

J Tiers
03-30-2005, 01:30 AM
Fer alinin and settin up machinery.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/strt2.jpg

I ben usin this now a little while and it werks good.

(I'll warn you there is a point to this......if you can get to the "bottom" of it.....)

torker
03-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Ted? Ted is that you?
Oh sorry JT....I know a guy who REALLY spells like that...lol!
Too early in the morning to figure it out!
You aren't using that fine instermint to scrape the paint off are you?
Russ

J Tiers
03-30-2005, 09:41 AM
In a way, yes.......

Here's the bottom of that great piece of scrap metal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/strt1.jpg

Its, cast iron, and its old enough to be pretty stable. And it has a reasonable amount of cast iron in the right places.

Only problem is it didn't have enough "toe" to scrape an angled surface on.

The long scratches were in the surface, I didn't want to mill off that much (stability), so I just ignored them. The spotting surface is OK even with them.
And the camera angle for some reason makes it look like the scraping was done with an old rake. It's better in person.

A big 50 cents for a short straightedge blank, very well aged. I thought it was a good deal.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 03-30-2005).]

precisionworks
03-30-2005, 09:47 AM
JT,

Nice scraping job! Are you using a surface plate to spot-in as you build "yer percession prubably will replays Sterratt" straight edge?

------------------
Barry Milton

J Tiers
03-30-2005, 09:50 AM
You better believe it!

I got it spotted to about 15-20 spots per inch, and called it good.

madman
03-30-2005, 11:27 AM
If its cast iron it ought to make a decent possum or skunk whacker. Just noticed weve got another skunk moved in beside our house again,. Last time caught him in a live trap. Got one of the drunk neighbours to let him out. This time Ill smoke him out with a varmint bomb.

Forrest Addy
03-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Great use of handsome old iton.

I would suggest a nice mahogony handle (actually an insulator) attached with two screws to the top face. Make one screw tight, one screw just snug enough to keep the handle in place without restricting wood movement. Maybe make it to wrap wround the T shaped upper flange.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 03-30-2005).]

J Tiers
03-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Been using a rag, figuring the "H" shape might distort more with heat than a camelback would.

I have been keeping an eye on it for relaxing or shifting, and it did have to be touched up after a while. That made me get more concerned about heat, although the effects are likely unrelated.

A piece of nice wood "wood" be better.

matador
03-31-2005, 02:53 AM
50 cents!How come I never find bargains like that.I'm turning green with envy.
Seriously JT,good scrounging skills! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif.

------------------
Hans

Spin Doctor
03-31-2005, 06:56 AM
I thank you fer 'riting the fust post slow as my readin' speed ain't all that fast

ARFF79
03-31-2005, 10:21 PM
I had to run out and check my tool box to see if you had been up here rootin around. I have one just like that with the black paint still on it in spots. Think I payed a dollar for it. Been using it for its original function for welding and rough set ups. I will have to check and see how mine stacks up after ball season.