PDA

View Full Version : bushing removal problem

luke 55
03-31-2005, 07:04 PM
I had to remove a brass bushing from a blind hole at the end of a shaft. 2.5 ft.long
Bushing hole .725
Outside 1.125
Outside shaft dia. 1.375
Bushing lenght 2in.

The bushing is pressed down to the bottom of the hole.
Any good idea are welcome before I do a mess of it.
I had 12 of these bushings to remove. They are from the snap rolls on a corn header.

Thanks Luke

charlie coghill
03-31-2005, 07:48 PM
See if a tap will cut some threads in the bushing and pull bushing out with a bolt.
Charlie

firstlast303
03-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Luke,
Here is what has worked for me in short holes.
Make a push rod just a little under the hole dia. Use any material that is handy, Al, wood etc. Fill the hole with grease. Insert rod in hole on top of grease, tap rod with with hammer. The hyd. pressure will force the bushing out. The first time I tried this I didn't think it would work, boy was I wrong. It works slick.
Good luck, Buzzer John

Joel
03-31-2005, 08:00 PM
For 12 bushings a cheap puller might be in order.

I have used the grease method with great success. Someone recently suggested using plumbers putty instead of grease as it was MUCH less messy. I haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but it sure sounds like a good idea.

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 03-31-2005).]

tattoomike68
03-31-2005, 10:12 PM
heat them up red hot and let cool, and pull them out with a finger.

they get hot and lose press, then cool and shrink.

all you farm folks should know that trick.

torker
03-31-2005, 11:22 PM
Luke, That bushing is in there 2 1/2 feet? If it is pushing it out with grease might take awhile. You could get it started like that but might want to make a semi circular hook on a slide hammer to finish pulling it. Geez, when I make something like that it's called "poor planning"
Russ

CCWKen
03-31-2005, 11:43 PM
Thank the engineers for that one!

Don't take the bushing out. Butt the new bushing against the old one and turn the shaft down. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

OR... Cut taping lines on a threaded shaft. Tap into the bushing and use the threaded rod to pull the bushing out.

If it's truely a blind hole, what's the shaft do?

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 03-31-2005).]

wierdscience
04-01-2005, 05:00 AM
If it's a blind hole one old trick is to find a tap that will start in the bushing,then thread the bushing,remove the tap and stick a bearing ball to the end of the tap with some grease.Thread the tap back in,let it bottom out and keep turning.

The ball acts as a thrust bearing and the bushing should be jacked out of the hole as the tap is turned in.

I have pulled many a Chevy pilot bushing that way.

spkrman15
04-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Great tip Weird. You should maybe post it in the tips book 2 topic as well. I am going to remember that one. That would also be a good tip for the threaded rod, if you don't want to damage your tap.

Rob http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif