View Full Version : A Strange File (or some such)

03-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Whilst browsing my local surplus mdse store I came across some boxes of files. One box contained some about 10 or 12" long, 1.25 wide that were beveled from one side to the other with a sharper primary bevel to almost a knife edge. The thick edge was maybe 5/16" thick.

But there were no teeth on the flat sides, just a smooth surface. The only teeth were straight, across the thick edge for about half the length. That edge then had a rounded taper to a width of about 1/2" at the very end. These were made by Nicholson, and had a tang like a regular file.

I've never seen such before. Can someone explain the purpose/use for these?

03-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Unfinished knife files?

03-28-2005, 06:32 PM
I think these could be saw sharpening files.


03-28-2005, 09:26 PM

03-28-2005, 09:39 PM
these are knife blanks for blacksmiths and knifemakers.
saves a lot of time grinding away the file teeth...jim

Michael Az
03-28-2005, 11:05 PM
I can't think of the name of them now, I've got one and used it a lot. Makes a great safe file, in other words, you can file right up to a shoulder and not touch it. Buy them and send me a couple!

03-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Jim's opinion makes the most sense. To try to use them as safe files (with the few teeth they do have on the edge) would be pretty painful to the guiding hand, since the other edge is quite sharp.

I'll get you a couple if you'll pay the shpg and cost Michael. I think the price on the big ones was $3 (might have been $4). They also had a few smaller (about 6 or maybe 8"). They were $2 I think. email me with your address and just what you'd like.


03-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Knife file may be what you have.

Go here to take a look at other similar files: http://shorinternational.com/filesknife.htm

My old boss used to be a live steam locomotive guy.
He used the company lathe to make locomotive parts and just about had the loco completed when he retired.

Strange part about it was all the boxes of strangely shaped files of many different sizes locked up in the storeroom.
Most of us had no idea what many of the files were used for, but they disappeared at a steady rate.
Kinda funny since the boss was the only one with a key....

Michael Az
03-29-2005, 07:18 PM
I think I remember! I think they are called a barette or something similar. I will send you a email Lynn. They are a handy file to have.

03-31-2005, 11:21 PM
could be a warding file for hand cutting keys for warded or lever tumbler locks.

(skelton type keys)

04-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Looks like barretts by Nicholson only go up to 6". You'll probably find your file here (http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/nicholson_files/index.cfm), but you have to bring up the pictures individually.