PDA

View Full Version : 82 deg countersink

Mike Gibson
03-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Does anyone know of plans/drawings for a carbide insert 82 deg. countersink?

SGW
03-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Nope, but I once made a carbide insert dovetail cutter, using a triangular insert with a hole in it. By using the triangular insert, I could get the 60 degree angle with accuracy, and the hole in the middle made it easy to attach. I had a shoulder on the body of the cutter that the insert registered against, so it didn't depend only on the screw to hold it in place.

I had only a single insert, which resulted in a whacka-whacka cut; if I were doing it again, I'd take the trouble to do at least two inserts, I think. It did work though.

For an 82 degree countersink, I'd look around for inserts with an 82 degree angle (if there are any) and a hole, to base everything on. If there aren't any to be had, I'd probably use a rectangular insert with a hole.

Make it up as you go along! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Mike Gibson
04-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks, for your reply. I went ahead and made the cutter body to use a single HSS cutter. So far it has worked very well but now I think I'll make another for two carbide inserts.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SGW:
Nope, but I once made a carbide insert dovetail cutter, using a triangular insert with a hole in it. By using the triangular insert, I could get the 60 degree angle with accuracy, and the hole in the middle made it easy to attach. I had a shoulder on the body of the cutter that the insert registered against, so it didn't depend only on the screw to hold it in place.

I had only a single insert, which resulted in a whacka-whacka cut; if I were doing it again, I'd take the trouble to do at least two inserts, I think. It did work though.

For an 82 degree countersink, I'd look around for inserts with an 82 degree angle (if there are any) and a hole, to base everything on. If there aren't any to be had, I'd probably use a rectangular insert with a hole.

Make it up as you go along! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif</font>