View Full Version : Round square insert (?)

03-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Someone recently told me how he makes his between-centers boring bars. It sounded like a good way to do it, but I can't remember the name he gave to the insert he used. Perhaps someone can help and suggest a source.

He described it as a sleeve that has a square hole through the middle to accept a cutting tool. He drills a hole in a stout piece of round stock and silver-solders the sleeve in place. Apparently, it also has threads on one end for adjusting the protrusion of the cutting tool.

Does this description ring a bell with anyone? If so, can anyone suggest a source?

Thank you.


03-31-2005, 10:24 AM
The operation is called line boring. I have never seen the cutting tool, but I'm sure if you have a bit of ingenuity you can come up with something. Do a search for line boring, and see what you come up with. Good luck.

03-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Orrin, a while back Vmil3 posted on Cutting Keyways with a shaper. The inserts are described there.

03-31-2005, 10:57 AM

Look about halfway down this page, right side. I think this is what you want (Low Carbon Steel Square Hole Tool Bit Sleeves):


Barry Milton

03-31-2005, 12:56 PM
I think Reid Tool Supply sells the sleeves, too. www.reidtool.com (http://www.reidtool.com)

I'd probably install one using Loctite 609.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 03-31-2005).]

04-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Thank you All for the help. I appreciate it.

The next time I get a tip from someone I'll write down all the particulars. (But then I'd probably lose the piece of paper. ;-)

Best regards,