PDA

View Full Version : Journeyman card

arnold
03-31-2005, 12:21 PM
I would like to share some information with the more experienced posters on this board. I am a Machinist with 20 years experience, never participated in an apprenticeship program or worked in a union shop. I was frustrated because I couldn't get a Journeman's card. Two years ago I found an organization that issues Journeyman certificates and cards based on a minimum of eight years experience. The name of the organization is National Skilled Trades Association and they cover several trades. You can email your name and address and they will mail you an application. Cost is $150. It didn't make me a better machinist, but at least it levelled the playing field when looking for a job that requires documentation. Hope this helps somebody.

arnold
03-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Forgot to give the email address for National Skilled Trades Association:
JourneymanNSTA@aol.com

Dave Opincarne
03-31-2005, 01:28 PM
Thank's! I'm in the same boat since the patternmaker's union died out in Seattle years ago. But not so long ago that most of the journeymen still working weren't part of it. So without papers it's hard to make journeyman's wages.

Dave

Dave Opincarne
03-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Do they have a web site? I can't find one on google.

snowman
03-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Or you could just paypal me the money. I'll make you up a card that's really nice looking. Federation of Skilled Trades workers of Jacobland.

-Jacob

Iquithadenuff
03-31-2005, 06:25 PM
I have been a Journeyman Tool & Die maker for over 30 yrs. My card was issued by US Dept. of Labor....NEVER once have I been asked to show it.Even tho I am proud of the fact that I completed my apprenticeship,as far as I am concerned it isn't worth the paper it is printed on, especially since it is written in English, and NOT Chinkenese

JRouche
03-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Sorry but the brand new USER of this group Arnold was already hawkin his where's (as in "where is" my money) on the CNC Zone. Didnt work there so I guess he is expandin. Scammer! JRouche

Dave Opincarne
04-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I should have checked his profile. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//redface.gif That would explain the lack of information I was able to find for the orginization he listed.

I do know from a much more reliable source there is a federal program like this though. Does anyone have any info on that?

[This message has been edited by Dave Opincarne (edited 04-01-2005).]

lunkenheimer
04-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Try here for starters:

http://www.doleta.gov/atels_bat/setprgm.cfm

gundog
04-01-2005, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't think any card you can get without a test would be worth the paper it is written on. Proud member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 125 and Journeyman Lineman with a card. I went through a apprentiship and took the test.
Mike

Dave Opincarne
04-01-2005, 05:10 PM
The one my old boss told me about was part of a federal program (Dept. of Labor?). I can't recall the specifics, but I recall it was intended for people who for some reason were unable to participate in formal aprentice training but who had already clocked a number of hours and were otherwise qualified. This was not a send in your money and we'll give you a piece of paper deal. The hours needed to be verifiable as well as the quality of work. But I can't remember the specifics.

Happy
04-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Here in Minnesota I did a State approved apprenticeship through the IBEW. I didn't get any card, but then again I don't work through the union hall.

ibewgypsie
04-01-2005, 05:57 PM
IBEW #175 Journeyman Wireman Card here, Instrument technician rating, Chattanooga Journeymans City license, ISA Level 3 certification, Robotics certs, Welding certs at Nuclear plant. PLUS, I have a old diploma from Modesto California that says I am a Reverend in the Universal Life Church... HA..

Now all that, my grey whiskers and tattoos plus a dollar will get me a cup of coffee.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

ibewgypsie
04-01-2005, 06:05 PM
All contractors, due to newly imposed saftey rules require every man on the job to have the Osha TEN course successfully completed and a card showing this in thier pocket.

More required paperwork. To prove you "knowed" the safe way to perform work.

David

kap pullen
04-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Arnold,

Many fine machinists are in your position.

Experience at different shops may qualify you more than the limited experience attained in a four year stint in a Bridgeport or other Mom and Pop Shop.

Years of varied experience has always been used as a barometer of a machinists skill.

The lack of a card may be an excuse not to start you at the higher rate.

Kap Pullen

charlie coghill
04-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Hay David here you would be a quarter short.
Charlie