PDA

View Full Version : 325 Thinner, for Parts Cleaner Tank?

weldnfab
04-01-2005, 05:32 PM
I have been trying to decide what to fill my new parts cleaning tank with, diesel,kerosene,mineral spirits,etc. I have looked everywhere for the old fashioned stuff pop used to use (solvent) and can't find it anywhere buy that name.
I called the local oil dist. today and asked if they sold solvent anymore for cleaning parts, and he said Yes,They call it Thinner #325, for 27.25 for 5 gals. I can buy mineral spirits at the local hardware store for about 16.00 for 5 gals, but it stinks in the shop.I don't want any water based stuff cause I've never found any that will work on automotive grease.
Does anyone know if this 325 thinner is actually solvent by a different name (I realize we are in a politically correct EPA environmentally sound world today) but just want some good old solvent that really works.
I have read everything on the previous post, but it doesnt sound like many people still use solvent anymore. Anyone using this #325 stuff, Thanks for your input.....
weldnfab....

precisionworks
04-01-2005, 05:44 PM
It sounds like Chevron Thinner 325. Here's a link to the MSDS: http://www.business_services.oregonstate.edu/property/msds/DATA/1282.htm

I use Castrol Super-Clean, $5/gallon at walmart. Highly caustic & very effective (undiluted) on all metals except aluminum, which it will dissolve.

You can search this topic & there have been quite a few posts.

------------------
Barry Milton

weldnfab
04-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks Precision ,I'll ck it out...

matador
04-02-2005, 12:43 AM
To clean aluminium,just boil the parts in water with a couple of spoonfulls of ordinary washing powder.I do this on my IC engines,which have castor oil baked on.Magic! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif.
This doesn't answer your question though.
Any solvent used is going to stink out your shop.I use reconstituted spray thinners which i get from a local panel shop.Don't have a tank as such ,so don't know if it would work in your situation.Ventilation is vital.

------------------
Hans

GNO
04-03-2005, 06:34 AM
I think the cleaner is named stodderd solovent

wierdscience
04-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Varsol and Mineral spirits are the two solvents I have used,but recently the Varsol has hit $8 a gallon.

I would not use diesil or kerosene in a washer with a pump,some pumps can't handle them without melting the seals/impeller.