• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wbleeker
    • Nov 2001

Oil cooler

Hi guys
    A bit off topic but I need to pressure test the oil cooler out of my truck,I had a lot of oil in the water and it is way easier to check the oil cooler before I pull the head off. I have made some blanking plates for the cooler and I was going to screw an air fitting into one of them and pressurize the cooler,what pressure should I use?Does anyone have any other suggestions where the oil could be coming from,the engine is an Isuzu 6SAIT,8.4litre OHC Diesel,also suggestion as to how I can clean the oil out of the cooling system would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Will
  • chief
    • Mar 2002

10-15
    Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

• mickm
      • Feb 2004

hello will,back in the dark ages we tested radiators at 4 to 8 psi ,thatwas 50 years ago but should be enough pressure to show up a leak if you are submurging the cooler in water . flushing the system with non sudsing laundry deturgent should take out the oil especially if you canheat the water and circulate it with a small pump. hope cooler is problem as engine work is expensive. mickm

Comment

• torker
        • Dec 2003

Will, I've built several hundred hydraulic tanks (yup...very boring). We used to test them at 5 to 6 psi. Used a bucket of soapy water(dish soap) and a paint brush. This will catch even the smallest of leaks. If the leak is internal, just fill the rad with water...the bubbles should show. As for flushing out the rest of the system....DON'T use beer!
        Russ
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

• Russ H
          • Mar 2004

How about more pressure than the max oil pressure the engine has?
          Russ H

Comment

• wierdscience
            • Jan 2003

Air should at 10-15lb show quite easily.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• JPR
              • Jun 2004

As said above 10-15. Here is a IHI cooler being tested after assembly http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ium&thecat=500
              John

Comment

Working...
              X