PDA

View Full Version : Lathe for me...?

Kansas_Farmer
04-20-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm a total noob when it comes to this really. I need/want to learn about this trade, I've got a few projects (very simple ones really) that I'd like to turn out if possible. Point is, I'd like to get a lathe that is decent. To that end, I would like your thoughts on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=97230&item=7508740772&rd=1

Thanks~

Brendon

hoffman
04-20-2005, 03:49 PM
This'll answer a lot of your questions and give you a lot of info on those machines.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/

Not rusty enough for me but some folks aren't as picky as me...

------------------
Deep Sea Tool Salvage

Kansas_Farmer
04-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks!

Brendon

jackb
04-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Kansas,
Be aware that Micro-Mark sells a similar lathe with a longer bed for $570+shipping and it is brand new. That would include things like a warranty that the guy on ebay won't give you. I would be willing to bet that by time that auction ends, the price will be as high or higher than the new model. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif I have been checking ebay for awhile looking for a lathe and have yet to see one that doesn't end up at almost the cost of a similar new one. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif So, why bother? There are too many people who get "bidding fever" on that site. Just my two cents. Remember, "caveat emptor"

Jack

Kansas_Farmer
04-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Yup, I hear ya, I'm thinking the same thing. Also, I'm really nervous about spending a few thousand bucks on some precision machinery that I've not seen first hand. I'd like to go new really, but I'm in the 7"to 12"x class of lathe and the new ones are China, that scares me (some stories read here). American iron will be used or way out of my $$$ range.

So, since it seems that i'll be getting an offshore lathe as my first one, I want to get the best one I can.

Thanks~

[This message has been edited by Kansas_Farmer (edited 04-20-2005).]

precisionworks
04-20-2005, 06:28 PM
A friend of mine in a used machinery dealer. He just sent me info on this machine. Located in Cape Girardeau, MO. $500.

Seneca Falls 14 x 36 Engine Lathe 115 Volts

Serial # 916070

8" 3 Jaw Chuck

Collet Closer & Collets 2-J

Power Cross & Longitudinal Feed

6 Spindle Speeds (50 - 350 RPM)

B & S Milling Attachment

Steady Rest

Email & I'll forward a photo (see profile).

------------------
Barry Milton

PSD KEN
04-20-2005, 09:32 PM
I a 7X12 HF, keep the litle guys in ther operating rang and they preform well.
The Micro-Mark unit is a good buy.
I bought mine used with lotsa extras.
These folks stock EVERY part for the lathe and Mini-Mill. They are great to do business with.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/

Kansas_Farmer
04-21-2005, 02:50 PM
PSD Ken, does PSD=Powerstroke Diesel?

I've been looking at these mini-lathes from Seig manufacturing in China (as far as I can tell they make all of these HF, Grizley, Mircolux et all) lathes. One thing I noticed was, none of these lathes under any other name like HF, microlux etc, show they will cut metric threads. The Seig site shows the C3 as able to cut metric. Can one purchase a Seig directly? Does anyone know if the MicroLux will actually do metric?

Thanks~

jackb
04-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Kansas,
Check out the link that PSD_Ken posted. They have a manual for the mini-lathe that you can download. It is pretty good reading. There are also comparison charts comparing the different offerings from the various retailers. I'm partial to Micro-mark myself; although, I have yet to part with the money for their lathe. I have read some good comments about the condition their lathe arrives in. Not typical of the usual chinese built machine tools. My understanding is Mr. Seig will build his machine tools to the level of quality his customer is willing to pay for. Any way, I have rambled on for too long. Check out The Litle Machine Shop web site. It is an education. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Jack

Rex
04-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Homier.com sells the 7x10 variant for $299, but they don't always have them. This is sans accessories - steady, live center, cutting tools etc. They sell those as a kit for $69-$99. You can also buy them from their traveling tent sales, but again, they don't always have them in stock.
Cummins sells the 7x12 for $399 with all the usual accessories. I think Cummins also has some mobile tools sales in the upper midwest.
As I've been able to determine these are the best deals. I have yet to see a minilathe on ebay that sold at a good deal.

Kansas_Farmer
04-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Yea, I read that entire thing, very good reading. I'm leaning to the MicroMark MicroLux 7x14. I see in the chart they list for it, that it does imperial threads. Ok, that's cool. There's a site mini-lathe.com that shows this MicroLux is really a Seig lathe with MicroLux name on it. The Seig site shows it as a C3 lathe. In the specs for C3, it shows metric and imperial threading capability. My question is, if the MicroLux is in fact a re-branded C3, can the MicroLux be made to cut metric? If not, can I get a Seig C3 from someone? I've searched around for a seller of Seig C3's and found nothing as of yet.

Thanks all very much!

Brendon

Kansas_Farmer
04-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Ok, this is fixed. I found my answer, yes it'll do both.

Now, all I need is to save up the $$$. I think I'll be going with this MicroLux 7x14 and soon after a mini-mill from the same place. Hehe, if it doesn't work, I'll sell it on ebay for twice what it's worth :P

Brendon

dvk
04-21-2005, 07:24 PM
I have the HF 7x10 mini I think when you get your 7x14, you will really enjoy it.
Those mini lathes are a lot of fun to learn on.

BillH
04-21-2005, 08:45 PM
If you live in the right area, 500$ will buy you a Southbend 9" lathe. If your lucky enough to see these things in the paper frequently enough you can sit back and wait til you find one thats just right. I have the micromark 7x14 lathe, its a small lathe. Any lathe sucks when you ask too much of it. Just keep that in mind.

BillH
04-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Also on the metric cutting part, you can buy a metric leadscrew, halfnuts and threading dial from the usual suppliers including sieg themselves.

PSD KEN
04-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Yup, PSD = diesel.
F-350 4X4 w/mods.(another hobby)

Kansas_Farmer
04-21-2005, 09:28 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PSD KEN:
Yup, PSD = diesel.
F-350 4X4 w/mods.(another hobby)</font>

working on my 96 350 PSD now. Glow Plug replacement. All 8 of em out, nothing broken. 1 dead, 3 out of spec on resistance. Time to replace em. After that, it's fuel system resealing, fuel pump replacement, general clean-up and detailing. I gotta sell her. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Back On Topic, I live in the panhandle of Nebraska. Everyone around here has a 9-16" Southbend or Clausing. NO ONE will sell any of em. I know one guy who has 4 14" lathes. He won't part with 1 of em, and all it is, is a shelf for junk in his shop. Oh well, I really don't have the shop space for a 'real' lathe anyway. This 7x14 will be perfect for me to 'play' and learn on. That lathe would have done everything I would have needed in the last 2 years anyway, so I think I'll be ok with it. Later, if I get the chance, I'll get a bigger one.

Thanks again for all the help!