PDA

View Full Version : Need to sell off some old equipment

Jerry D
04-20-2005, 10:11 PM
I was recently offered some equipment by an elderly relative. After checking out the equipment I have determined that most of it is just too big for my shop, but he won't let me take the equipment I want without getting rid of the other equipment. I need to know what is the best method for selling off this equipment?
I have a 24" Rockford Shaper
Cincinatti drill press (not sure of the size but it stands about 10' tall)
Wells 36" horizontal bandsaw.
None of the equipment has been used in 15 years but is all in working order.
Any advice will be appreciated,
Thanks, Jerry

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-20-2005, 10:17 PM
I would take lots of pictures of the items, list them on EBAY in a 10-day listing format, one auction per item, List them 5 minutes apart from eachother, all starting prices at $1.00 each, no reserve, and you'll probably get the most money form local folks.

-Adrian

precisionworks
04-20-2005, 10:51 PM
3PH is exactly correct. $1.00 starting & no reserve.

Since you're in the Chicago area you'll probably get lots of local bidding. Be sure to offer shipping if possible. Those sellers of large equipment who don't offer it lose lots of potential bidders.

IMO the best time to end your listings is Saturday afternoon or Sunday evening. Be sure to specify that equipment must be picked up/shipped within xxx many days.

Whether you get $100 or $10,000, be glad it's sold & gone.

------------------
Barry Milton

andy_b
04-21-2005, 11:54 AM
i also have to agree about the $1 start and no reserve. i told my wife to do that with some stuff she was listing and she told me she thought it was a bad idea because someone could end up getting it for a buck. i told her i'd pay her what she thought it was worth if it went for $1. needless to say, it went for about $50, which was what she thougth it would be worth.

i get a kick out of these guys that start a $500 item at $499. why not just put an ad in the local paper for $499 and be done with it. eBay is an auction, not a classified ads listing.

andy b.

Your Old Dog
04-21-2005, 01:05 PM
You might consider asking for a quick non-refundable downpayment just in case someone comes to their senses !!

CCWKen
04-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Dang! I wish I lived closer. I'd take the lot at your FAP.

Jerry D
04-21-2005, 07:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
You might consider asking for a quick non-refundable downpayment just in case someone comes to their senses !!</font>

I have been a lurker on this forum for a couple years and have learned a considerable amount from the forum. I enjoy this forum because typically the people that answer the question do it with considerable knowledge.
This is not the case with your answer.
Considering you have no idea what condition the equipment is in, not to mention what the equipment actually is. I can't believe you would answer this post with such a childish generalization. There are plenty of people that would love to have this equipment,including myself, but I have no room for it.
Jerry...

IOWOLF
04-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Ok, and your point was..........

debequem
04-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Jerry,

I think he was kidding with that statement.

Why not simply ask Your Old Dog what he meant by the statement first, and then chastise him. ;-)

Marv

[This message has been edited by debequem (edited 04-22-2005).]

JCHannum
04-22-2005, 10:42 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andy_b:
i get a kick out of these guys that start a $500 item at $499. why not just put an ad in the local paper for $499 and be done with it. eBay is an auction, not a classified ads listing.

andy b.</font>

Actually, eBay is a very good selling tool. It is one of the best ways to get an item for sale the exposure it needs to get a reasonable price for it.

Why do people seem to think that just because a person sells on eBay that he should give an item away. If it operated like a true live auction, a low opening bid would not be inappropriate. However, in reality it operates quite differently. The fixed closing time and sniping often result in an item going for under its value. This is part of the game, but, the reason a person is listing an item for sale is to make a profit on it.

Your Old Dog
04-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Jerry D, you're probably right and I apologize. I was thinking about the shipping expenses and what an oversite that might be for a buyer when I wrote that but I don't suppose most folks would realize that. I stand corrected and admonished. Again, I'm sorry and I wish you luck in moving this stuff for your friend.

Ray.......

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 04-22-2005).]

Paul Cataldo
04-23-2005, 12:49 PM
What ya want for the bandsaw??