PDA

View Full Version : A question or two

MMurphy
04-24-2005, 07:06 PM
I have a Turn-Pro 7X12 bandsaw. I was cutting an akward piece, it came loose and the blade jammed and kinked a little. Is there a good method for recovering the blade? I just got the darn thing broke in good.

Is it good or not so good to use soluble
oil when cutting AL on the band saw?

Thanks Mike

WJHartson
04-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Depending on how bad the kink is you could have it cut and rewelded. Down here it cost $3.00 per weld. I use WD40 when cutting aluminum.

Joe

J. R. Williams
04-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Mike
I keep a block of Beeswax at my band saw to use when cutting aluminum. A light touch with the wax on the hot blade works and does not make a big mess as an oil or other liquid coolant.

JRW

precisionworks
04-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Usually, if you kink it the way you did, it's toast. Did the same thing last week to an almost new M K Morse. Next cut it came off the wheels.

No blood, just a few dollars charged to cost of sales.

------------------
Barry Milton

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-24-2005, 08:39 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MMurphy:
I have a Turn-Pro 7X12 bandsaw. I was cutting an akward piece, it came loose and the blade jammed and kinked a little. Is there a good method for recovering the blade? I just got the darn thing broke in good.

Is it good or not so good to use soluble
oil when cutting AL on the band saw?

Thanks Mike</font>

I've been using my bandsaw blade for awhile now. I kinked it once and I heated it up with a propane torch until red then quickly sliped it into my vise and clamped it straight (without claming the staggered teeth)... It's been fine... Your milage might differ.

-Adrian

C. Tate
04-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Soluable oil is good choice for flooding aluminum. Concentration and PH play very critical role when trying to perform difficult operations as it combats BUE. Should not be very critical in sawing operation. Volume is more important. The flow of coolant through the cutting zone helps chip evacuation which could have caused your problem. Can't be sure from here.

CT

P.S. Any oily fluid applied while machining aluminum will help. WD-40, kerosene, 3in1, I have even used ethanol because it evapoates and leaves everything clean. Just remember these things burn and ethanol has an almost invisable flame.

MMurphy
04-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the posts..

Adrian... I think I will try your method. I haven't been able to find anyone who does blade welding. I'll make sure I know where my fingers are!

CT... What is "BUE". It seems to run (cut) quieter and smoother when I use a good flow of soluble oil.

JRW... I think I'll try the beeswax. The coolant makes a big mess. Clean up is not so bad if I have a lot of cutting to do, but is a pain for a small job. I'll try the wax when I have just one or two cuts to make.

Joe... I do use WD-40 when I turn AL. Didn't think to try it on the saw.