PDA

View Full Version : Forrest - nice article on drills

rockrat
04-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Just wanted to say good job on the twist drill lore article in the latest HSM. Even though I was aware of many items covered, it was nice to refresh myself on the finer points and look at the items from a different perspective.

Thinning the web always seems to be forgotten about around the shops that I have been in. I'm not sure why that is something not done as the drills get shorter. Might be due to the fact that most shops that I have been in lately throw drills away fairly quickly after their use. No one wants to sharpen drills. Our shop has a big box of "drills to be sharpened" in it. Every time I dig it out to assign it to an associate, everyone that was jaw jacking 2 seconds earlier suddenly has something to do!

I was surprised when I did not see the term "screw machine" drill in there. That's about the only drill size that I use anymore. Even around the house. They just seem to give better locational results in comparison to jobbers. You did however mention Pot drills but I never thought that screw machine length drills were in that category.

My guess is that these drills (screw machine length) would fall into the 3rd paragraph from the end; the "Go read and investigate on your own, test next week" section of your article. There are just too many different drills and uses for them out there to write only a 3-4 page article on. Next time maybe Neil will give you half of the magazine.

Again, nice job.
Cheers! rock

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 04-24-2005).]

ibewgypsie
04-24-2005, 05:07 PM
I always liked the drills with the tap in behind the twist.. I got some from Germany with some tools once.

Speed up fabrication.

I always threatened to put a chuck on each end of the drill armature, that way I could tap or drill.

I am still looking for a Loupe with the twist drill angles etched on it. I saw one, can't find where they sell them.

David

charlie coghill
04-24-2005, 09:07 PM
David, have you checked the MSC catalog? I believe they have them.

J Tiers
04-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Woosh....you guys got yours already?

Mine likely won't be here until the 10th or so.

That's how its been running, unless my hash code has come to the top again...then I get an issue "early", before its back to the back of teh bus again.

It's OK, but then I keep hearing about the new issue here!

Forrest Addy
04-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Thanks Rock. Sorry I didn't cover everything about drills. When doing my intial research and note taking I discovered that drills and drilling easily expanded into a 16 chapter book in no time.

As Rock pointed out 4 or 5 pages is barely adequare for the basics. I restricted myself to a quick over view of basic jobber length drills, some discussion of sharpening and refinements, and a little on items pertinent to the home shop user.

If any of you want to study drills and drilling in detail I suggest you consult the volume on drilling of any of several manufacturing engineering compendia. These "handbooks" are more like encyclopedia consisting of a dozen of more thick volumes costing thousands. A full service library should be able to get these for you via inter-library loan from an engineering school.

For those having a more modest appetite for study scrounge the out-dated drill cataloges from major drill manufacture. Some of the catalogs produced in the '40's were comprehensive and targeted for cottage manufacturers of war production; people who started from scratch in 1941 and by 1944 built up to a 500 people shop staffed with housewives and farm workers.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 04-25-2005).]