PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Ethernet Webcast

precisionworks
04-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Got this info this morning.

"Ethernet isn’t new technology, but designers are facing the challenge of evaluating it as a communication interface that may or may not be right for a project. Communication is the key because Ethernet isn’t a traditional component that fits into an OEM product like a puzzle piece. It’s a technology that will give designers access to new software, additional components and end-product benefits."

Industrial Ethernet Roundtable Webcast
DATE: Wednesday, May 18, 2005
TIME: 2:00 p.m. ET
DURATION: One Hour
Register Here! https://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=registration.jsp&eventid=10983&sessionid=1&key=A90A6F6C54BEF8C82393DA8004DF9C1D&referrer=&sourcepage=register

------------------
Barry Milton

[This message has been edited by precisionworks (edited 04-26-2005).]

aboard_epsilon
04-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Showing my ignorence here Barry.
but havnt the foggiest idea what your talking about.
i may as well be on another planet. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
all the best.mark

precisionworks
04-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Mark,

Computers aren't my favorite topic. As I understand it, Ethernet is a common networking platform that allows people working on a project to share information.

I signed up to see if it has any application for what I do. My customers often send CAD files, drawings, prints, etc. More of what I do happens electronically, but the fun part is still the blue chips & oily smoke!

------------------
Barry Milton

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Ethernet itself is not the problem. Ethernet is just a simple physical interface. The problem with Ethernet is almost everyone runs TCP/UDP/ARP/IP or (TCPIP for short) on top of Ethernet.

TCP/IP is a software protocol suite that requires a good amount of computer resources to successfuly communicate over. There are also endless amounts of additional protocols that sit ontop of TCP/IP (like BOOTP and DHCP).

One major problem with TCP/IP is the need for devices to obtain their identy on the network.. This usually means you need some type of server to dynamically configure new clients that connect, or you need a way to configure each device before it can connect to a known network..

Ethernet and TCP/IP do make sense for a lot of devices, but it's also very costly to connect your device to an Ethernet/TCPIP network. You need the simple Ethernet interface, but you also need a microprocessor and extensive software.

Contrast Ethernet/TCPIP with a simple serial port, and the complexity and cost go way down... It costs around $20-$30 in materials, and a significant software cost to get on Ethernet/TCPIP... It costs around $.50 cents and almost no software or zero software to get on a peer-to-peer serial link.

-Adrian

IOWOLF
04-26-2005, 10:01 PM
HUH?

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-26-2005, 10:05 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
HUH?</font>

Just press ALT-F4