View Full Version : What did I just buy?

G.A. Ewen
04-19-2005, 01:19 AM
I think that it is some kind of tailstock steady rest thing. Maybe for turning armatures that don't have a center hole. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//confused.gif


04-19-2005, 01:45 AM
GA...It doesn't matter! It was shiny and deserved to be bought http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

G.A. Ewen
04-19-2005, 01:55 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torker:
GA...It doesn't matter! It was shiny and deserved to be bought http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif</font>

Exactly http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

04-19-2005, 02:29 AM
GA...Geez...it just dawned on me...It's nearly 1AM here. That'd be 3AM on your end of the country. Are you a night owl or are you like me and only sleep 4 hours or so? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

04-19-2005, 02:55 AM
Yeah, what are we doing up at this time of night?

04-19-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm not...it's early morning now! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Now it's buggin me.....WHAT IS THE SHINY THING?

04-19-2005, 07:36 AM
I have to have one...whatever it is.

Steve Steven
04-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Heres what the stock system has to say, its a TRUCUT 22 or 22TR: BRONZE; JAW TYPE 3 JAWS; 0.25 IN. TO 1 IN. CAP.; NO. 2 MORSE TAPER SHANK , cost the gov't $150 or so, cost to get one from stock sys is $193, TRUCUT TOOL CAGE 60900 P/N 22 (cage is gov't assigned vendor number), TRU-CUT TOOL CO
DETROIT, MI 48221-2455 is all it says about the company, no phone #.

kap pullen
04-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Looks like a tailstock chuck to run centerless shafts in.

These may be motor armatures or other parts for rebuilding/repairing.

Does the taper freewheel from the chuck mechanism?

It may be to support armatures to have the mica undercut as well.

Msc has tailstock center chucks similar but much larger.

Interesting tool.

I will be happy to test it out over time.


[This message has been edited by kap pullen (edited 04-19-2005).]

04-19-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm (almost) sure it's a tailstock for use when cutting-off. Almost exactly like a steady without the space requirement.

Barry Milton

G.A. Ewen
04-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Arrived in todays mail. I am sure that kap is right.



BTW the seller, sc-liquidations, accidently charged me to much for the shipping and then sent me a refund. Still some honest people in the world.

[This message has been edited by G.A. Ewen (edited 04-27-2005).]

04-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I wish I had one of these, it would work great in my HF lathe.

Jerry, still known as Lefty

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-27-2005, 04:19 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by G.A. Ewen:
sc-liquidations, accidently charged me to much for the shipping and then sent me a refund. Still some honest people in the world.

Hmmmm.. Did you request in addition to the refund, the interest owed to you based on the current Federal Prime Rate? If your money isn't working for you, it's working for someone else http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif


Mike Burdick
04-27-2005, 09:47 PM
G.A. Ewen,

Thanks for posting the picture of what it's like on the inside. I think it's very clever and useful - so...I think I'll make one.


04-27-2005, 09:49 PM
That thing is awesome. I could use that all the time. It's the cross between a cup point live center and a steady rest.

I refund shipping all the time. If I dont know the weight of something, I approximate. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. If it's more than five bucks in my favor, I refund the difference.