PDA

View Full Version : are 3 in 1 units any good?

JP
04-27-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm looking for mini lath and mill unit. are the harrbor fright,smithy 3 in 1 units worth the money. I will spend 1 k can I get a good tool for light milling and hobby work?
JP

Forrest Addy
04-27-2005, 09:08 PM
The sindgle virture of a 3 in 1 machine is that it provides basic but limits machining capabilities in a small envelope.

Dedicated and frustration-proof types can make very nice small scale projects with 3 in 1 machines but it takes time, patience, and - well - more time. For most folks a 3 in 1 machine lasts about 'til the novelty wears off and then out it goes for either a small lathe and a mill-drill or a set of golf clubs. Or a mid sized lathe (15 x 60) and a turret mill.

Assess your own abilities to cope with slow, frustrating, limited machining capabilities and go from there.

If you can muster the space (does your wife REALLY need a sewing room?) it's better to start with separate machine tools.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 04-27-2005).]

SGW
04-28-2005, 08:08 AM
The 3-in-1 topic has been thrashed numerous times, so do a search of the archives and see what you find...the search function works well.

But, Forrest pretty much tells you all you need to know. You'll be happier with separate machines, if there is any possible way you can do it.