PDA

View Full Version : Milling and lathe locations

SJorgensen
04-27-2005, 03:24 AM
In setting up a shop with three mills located side-by-side, would there be any advantage to setting them at an angle?

I remember seeing some shops set up this way but I don't know why. In the current situation one mill has quite a table travel.

hoffman
04-27-2005, 02:25 PM
You'd have more room for long projects if they were at an angles.

wierdscience
04-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Long work will be a problem if they are at an angle to a wall or in a corner.

If it were me I would set the backs facing the wall and angle the tables at about 5* parallel to each other.

SJorgensen
04-29-2005, 03:22 AM
So Weirdscience,

You would prefer a 5 degree angle and about how much separation? (Space is always a concern.) 5 Degrees doesn't seem to be enough to count for anything.

One advantage that I see is that the tables won't run into each other. Another is that the operator is not standing in the isle. Someone mentioned that it also puts one operator in view of another and he can oversee another in case of a problem.

I made a comment about lathes being set at angles was so that when someone leaves a key in a chuck and it flings out that it can't knock out an entire crew. I got many laughs, but some part of me was being serious.

Spence

Your Old Dog
04-29-2005, 06:36 AM
I've actually prayed for problems like that http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif My wRong Fu fits fine in my humble shop!

Spin Doctor
04-29-2005, 11:57 AM
There is on advantage to setting machines parallel. when working on long shafts it is possible to use the outboard machines for work supports. But admitedly this is not that common of a need