PDA

View Full Version : Auction in Ala. & plant closing

Cecil Walker
04-19-2005, 04:40 PM
just received the notice from Cincinnati Industrial Auctioneers about a Macnine Shop auction in Dothan, Ala. on May 3rd if anyone is interested. Also noticed in the local paper that Black & Decker is closing their plant in Fayetteville NC in late 05 or early 06, this will be a loss of about 650 jobs. The plant had employed about 2000 in its prime but had been cutting jobs the past few years. Sad situation for local mfg.

Milacron of PM
04-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Seeing as there are about 70 machine tool auctions taking place in the USA in the next month, I'm curious why out of the 70 did you pick that particular one to post about ?

For the record Cincinnati Industrial, Asset Sales and Myron Bowling are mostly fine folks, but are so good at what they do, that they typically draw huge crowds and are therefore more difficult to net any "deals" on anything.

smurph
04-19-2005, 11:44 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D. Thomas:
Seeing as there are about 70 machine tool auctions taking place in the USA in the next month, I'm curious why out of the 70 did you pick that particular one to post about ?</font>

Maybe it's local to him and maybe he doesn't know of the other 69 auctions. For me, I'm glad he mentioned it, as Dothan is not too far away from me. I might go and at least take a look.

How does one see all of the machine auctions in the USA in the next month? Is there a master list or something? I'd like to go to more of these auctions but I end up finding out about them belatedly.

Thanks,
Steve

Milacron of PM
04-20-2005, 12:06 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Maybe it's local to him</font> According to his profile he's in Lauringburg, NC. That's 500 miles from the auction site.

As to 'master list', yes but I'll let someone else point it out as I can't take responsibility for creating yet more auction competition for myself and all the others that do their own research http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

precisionworks
04-20-2005, 12:26 AM
I receive email notices every week, some better than others. Just Google "machine tool auction" and register for the ones that look good. If you don't like the type of info they send it's easy to remove your name from the list.

There's probably one major auctioneer in your area. If you attend a large auction & register to bid, you're on the mailing list forever.

One of the better monthly publications is Industrial Machinery Digest. 100% advertising, national listings. You can subscribe at: https://cygweb4.cygnuspub.com/Secure/Subscriptions/Sub_Form_InitialCheck.cfm?iPub_Code=261&

------------------
Barry Milton

Cecil Walker
04-20-2005, 07:35 AM
To answer Don's question: Yes I get all the fliers but this auction was in an area that is local to some of the members that frequent this board. I have been to a few of their auctions that drew a small crowd, good buys, you never know unless you go. Also, if it had been within 300 mile I probably would not have posted it, so, does that answer your question.

Rustybolt
04-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks Cecil. I like to know about auctions across the country. Like the one Jay just went to. It gives a real picture of what used equipment prices are like in different areas. I get the local flyier from Winternitz. They have a good reputation around here.

Besides I like to hear about the good deals out there.

Milacron of PM
04-20-2005, 10:29 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have been to a few of their auctions that drew a small crowd, good buys, you never know unless you go. </font> True that you never know for sure what going to happen price wise at an auction. I've been to some where there were folks checking out a machine very carefully and I figured, oh well, they will certainly outbid me. And then the thing sells astounding cheap and those folks didn't even bid !

On the flip side, I've looked at a machine that not a single other person seemed interested in, only to get outbid by a previously placed proxy bid or someone on the other side of the country calling in via cellphone !

Having said that, the aforementioned three auction houses are nearly impossible to get good buys on "generally desirable" items, like respected make, clean, post 1988 CNC machines, clean and late Bridgeports, that sort of thing. One of the Asset Sales sons runs a used machinery dealership for instance, so nothing desirable ever goes cheap. Plus all three have their bevy of dealer cronies that tend to bid high as they are often in kahoots together with the auctioneer.

But true you can get deals at all three, but mostly on "odd", "old" or "ugly" items that the cronie contingent and large crowds don't want.

andy_b
04-20-2005, 12:10 PM
D.T.,

that's funny. when i go to an auction the only things i look at are "odd", "old" and "ugly" (well, except for the women). and post 1988, heck, pre-1948 is more my style.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

andy b.

Milacron of PM
04-20-2005, 01:55 PM
My favorite machines at auctions are also the ones that are ugly, but in excellent mechanical condition, and if the "ugliness" is due to dirt and grease residue that wipes right off with Greased Lightning !

I've had a few like that, that looked awful, but a rag and some "Lightning" and underneath it was absolutely pristine original paint.

My ultimate "nightmare" machine from a cleanup standpoint was a late model CNC turning center that was used in a Kennametal plant to turn *carbide* No more difficult to remove substance on this earth than carbide dust mixed with hydraulic oil mist http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

Re older machines at auction, the funniest contrast I've ever seen was an Asset Sales mold shop auction near Asheville, NC a few years ago where everybody and his brother showed up, all the shop machines went sky high in price but they had 2 older machines sitting on pallets that they obviuosly "brought in" just for the auction. But, for "pallet" machines, they were nice ones...1950's Milwaukee rotary mill, 1970's (yes, 1970's !) Brown and Sharp no. 2 vertical mill....both clean, original paint, seemed in good shape best I could tell not under power. B&S even had the manuals with it. Both went for 75 bucks each !!!

sandman2234
04-20-2005, 09:04 PM
I got a call last Monday about a local auction. They were going to have 3 of them. First employees only, then contractors, then general public. A few choice pieces went to favorite contractors, but employees bought most of it. I think a Steiner 525 with extra deck and blower, and a JD 2555 for $4K total is pretty decent deal. I wanted a Rhino SR15 Batwing mower, but one employee bought two of them for a dollar apiece. None left for me, but I ain't complaining, with what I did manage to get.
David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

Al Messer
04-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Cecil, No. One Son drove by this location first part of the week to check it out and no one was there---all locked up and no notices of any sort of auction at the location of the defunct company.