PDA

View Full Version : The question of billet

chief
04-23-2005, 01:36 AM
I got stuck in the bar the other day with the local gear head moron ( my car puts out 6000 hp because I bolted on all this junk and added up hp on each box the junk came in.)
Anyway, I showed him 2 titanium 14mm castellated flange bolts I made for my friend. His response " That's cool but
you can't make billet stuff at home cause you need speical machines and ****" .
I never knew this until he pointed it out
boy, do I feel stupid.

JRouche
04-23-2005, 02:05 AM
Well, you prolly weren't lookin but YOU may have that special "****" in yer home shop needed to make that billit stuff. Guys like that cant be educated cause they know it all.

Billit has become the "2000's" catch phrase. Must blame some of it on TV and more so to the aftermarket auto industry. They make it sound like an "unobtainium" special material only used for high tech products.

Now, turning Ti is new for me. Does it cut like Al or 4140? JRouche

hoffman
04-23-2005, 02:53 AM
He's right you know.
Sorry to be the one to tell you...

------------------
Deep Sea Tool Salvage

tattoomike68
04-23-2005, 03:54 AM
titanium is grown with fancy crap (retort) and they call it "sponge" it is half magnesium and will burn easy.

I call titanium a crystal metal.

do not machine it unless you know what you are doing and do not let the chip slinger catch on fire. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

JRouche it can be a dirty rotten bastard to turn and hard as a freakin rock, it turns ok in a cnc with a waterfall of coolent and top of the line inserts.

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 04-23-2005).]

chief
04-23-2005, 04:28 AM
It is tough to turn but I haven't had any problems, sharp tools and coolant but I have also tapped it by hand, grade 5 is what you want to use.
I haven't started any fires but it looks cool when you sandblast it.

SGW
04-23-2005, 07:43 AM
My limited experience with titanium (dunno what alloy it was, which undoubtedly matters) suggests that it cuts okay with wicked sharp HSS, and cutting it generates an astounding amount of heat so some kind of coolant is probably a good idea (I used mist).

torker
04-23-2005, 08:01 AM
I love this topic!
For several years now I've been trying to cook up things out of 6061 alu that the hot rod guys just can't live without.
Last summer I took some of my stuff to a car show to get feedback etc.
A bunch of the "experts" gathered around to look at it.
The "leader" asked me what the stuff was made out of.
I told him it was all 6061 aluminum.
He says "Cool stuff....too bad it isn't billet!"
With that the "band of brothers" turned and walked away.
Makes one think of the old saying..."It's hard to fly like an eagle...
When you're surrounded by turkeys"
Russ

pete913
04-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Guess I'll have to look around for some of that 'billet' stuff next time I buy some metal lol. These guys outta stick to sucking beer and watching NASCAR on tv.

Your Old Dog
04-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Chief, the nice thing about ignorance is that it keeps you in a state of perpetual bliss! I'm in that state now. Just spent 20 minutes googling for a picture of a "castellated flange bolt" just in case I one day run into a box of'em at a yard sale. After looking at some 20 sites I find not one pic! I'm trying to keep up with you big dogs but I'm getting short on breath http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Forrest Addy
04-23-2005, 08:34 AM
"Billet" is a classic example of common usage in a group noted for invincible ignorance triumphing over precise technical language.

A "billet" is the term used to describe the material in its first stages of a hot rolling process. "The billets are heated then run through the first stand of rolls..." Before the billet was a billet it was a "bloom" and before that it was a "cast ingot." "Billet" is the material form in an intermediate step in the rolling process.

In the machine shop parts can be made from hot roll, cold roll, plate, welded fabrications, castings, or forgings. But never "billet". Billets never get to the machine shop because they're an intermediate product in the rolling mill. Strictly speaking it's impossible to make stuff from a "billet" unless the material was purchased in the billet form from a rolling mill. I dare say the mill would be entirely be justified in removing all the material's identifying marks and requireing the purchaser to sign a waiver of warranty acknowledging the purchased material's properties were incertifiable and its processing to commercial standards were incomplete.

In short actual "billet" material can very possibly be substandard compared to material that's fully processed and heat treated.

"Billet" is strictly a hot-rodder's term used to cover parts machined to net shape and detail from solid stock. "Billet" as a material identifier does not signify superior quality. Quite the opposite: in fact, "billet" rocker arms, connecting rods etc might be inferior in ultimate strength and reliability to identical products made from net shape forgings where the materials grain structure is directed to maximize its resistance to stress.

So when you see "billet" proudly printed on a colorful box of hot-rod goodies think "bull****." There's hardly a segment of the market place so bamboozled and led by fad and hysteria as hot-rodders unless it's buyers of cosmetics and male enhancement products. Ignorance and folly among purchasers is actively fostered by makers of hot rod products - purchasers who spend mountains of money to secure the last iota of performance from their favorite overweight, unreliable, unstreamlined, obsolete POS.

People who build hot-rods and race cars are building nothing more than high performance parade floats. They're made for glamour and to excite envy among the cannaille. The apotheoses of fast cars are Formula 1, Indy cars, and unlimited dragsters. Anything less is the province of wannbes and dreamers.

So use "billet" as a general material descriptor if you wish but by doing so you flaunt your ignorance of materials and their designation in the industry. If you're working in a machine shop such usage will brand you as a dunce, a wannabe, and if a customer as someone to relentlessly fleece by making them "billet" parts from plate and barstock and charging them extortionate prices.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 04-23-2005).]

RPease
04-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Come on Addy.....Don't beat around the bush.

If you've got an opinion on the subject, just let it go. Holding your thoughts and feelings back can cause indigestion.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Just kidding.......Rodg

BTW.......got a guy a work that "swears" that BILLET machined parts are the best thing since they invented the spark plug.

I tried to tell him that it was just a part machined from a "solid" chunk, but he wasn't buying it.

[This message has been edited by RPease (edited 04-23-2005).]

Wirecutter
04-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Damn. I *had* some billet, but I f***ed it up by sticking it in the mill vise and making a fixture out of it for work. I feel stupid. And contageous.

gizmo2
04-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Forrest, what passion, pathos, and big words! I laughed, I cried, I got out the dictionary. That was beautiful, man.

ricksplace
04-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Forrest -that was beautiful man.

The rest of us grunts keep on moidurin the King's English... nuk nuk nuk..(with apologies to Larry, Moe and Curly)

When someone asks me what I make a muzzle break out of I tell 'em I start with a solid piece of steel. When they ask "billet"? I just answer "yup". It's fun watching them ooo and ahhh.

aboard_epsilon
04-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I always thought the words "machined from billet".
ment machined from a solid lump of whatever steel,alloy etc.
rather than the part being cast,pressed,fabricated.

So these hotrodders are now reading there hotrod mags.......and misinterperating the word billet as a marvel-special-metal....ha ha ha.

So Chief.......all you have to do to sell your stuff ...is call it "Titanium Billet"..now that would sound even more impresive to them backwards wearing baseball cap guys... me thinlks.
all the best..mark

WJHartson
04-23-2005, 10:20 AM
In the aluminum industry there are billets and they can be purchased. Aluminum rounds that have been cast and homoginized and cut into short sections, 18" or so long, are call billets. These are mostly used by extruders that make shapes in extrusion presses.

Hot rodders, not idiots with cars, consider billet items as those made from aluminum usually 6061.

Joe

cuemaker
04-23-2005, 10:25 AM
This brings up an interesting side note that Torker ran into.

If you are making something hoping to sell it to a manufacturer or end user, you have to speak their language, no matter how f*ed up it is.

The use of the term billet is a great example.

The TV shows have created the mystique of billet when you got Boyd or some other guy saying " yeah, this do hicky is made from solid billet because we need it to be rock solid and perform well. Nothing but the best here." And then you see some nice CNC mill at work for all of 5 seconds.

This is exactly what has created the billet mystique.

Torker might have made a sale if he had gone in and said, "these come from solid billet, so you know its rock solid."

You may feel stupid, but now your communicating.

Use their limited education to your advantage. Trying to explain why billet is the incorrect term to someone who really doesn't care isn't going to take you very far.

I must say I thought billet only ment items machined from solid chunks of metal in one piece. (damn TV!)

Thank you Forrest!!!

And thank you wjhartson for some more education

[This message has been edited by cuemaker (edited 04-23-2005).]

precisionworks
04-23-2005, 10:26 AM
"Aerospace billet 6V4AL titanium, CNC machined, cryogenically quenched, vacuum processed"

That's how you make a $10 part into a $100 part. Racers/street-rodders/etc. love it when you tell them that their noncritical, nonstructural part will be made from solid steel billet.

Couldn't charge nearly as much if you just called it hot rolled flat stock.

------------------
Barry Milton

ibewgypsie
04-23-2005, 10:31 AM
I love self proclaimed experts.

When the local bike "builder" sold a new harley and it fell apart on the interstate, seems it was made with schedule 40 waterpipe.
Seems he has since learned the lesson on being a manufacturer and the liabilities concerned.

Want a piece made of billet? seems you take a hunk and carve out your design, file, cnc, mill, lathe or whatever, no special tools needed. You can use a nail file if you like and have enough time. Big deal. scratches easily and looks like crap afterwards. I love stainless....... Lasts forever. The more you rub it the slicker it gets.

aboard_epsilon
04-23-2005, 10:41 AM
im getting into marketing ideas with this hitch that I'm helping out on.
so all i have to do now is print the word billet in every other sentance ..and we have a sure fire winner me thinks.
are there any other words you guys think i can plonk in.
Is there a word of the moment for cast steel.
all the best.mark

C. Tate
04-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Billet is the block of unalloyed alum that extruders and rolling mills begin their processes with. Parts made for custom bikes and hot rods are made from rolled plate or extruded bar. Billet alum. is so soft you would have great difficulty machining it.

Just for @#$&s and giggles what do you call that thing that goes in chuck and turns round and round to make a hole?

CT

dicks42000
04-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Way to go Forrest...very erudite. A machinist with great technical knowledge & a vocabulary to boot.
Rick in BC.

snowman
04-23-2005, 11:37 AM
"Just for @#$&s and giggles what do you call that thing that goes in chuck and turns round and round to make a hole?"

Man...someone stabbed Chuck again? poor guy. this time they twisted the knife too eh...

sorry...had to

i'm with you ibew...i prefer stainless or just "stamped"...it's lighter weight anyway http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif Who needs billet valve covers?

ibewgypsie
04-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Snowman, you seen the "unengraved" covers at PAW?

Seems to be a cnc'mans dream. All the egotistical road racers out there that'd love to have thier name on the covers.

David

HTRN
04-23-2005, 02:39 PM
I know what you mean. There's no greater feeling than seperating an idiot from they're money.

Personally I like the fabbed valve covers that come apart in two pieces. Makes it easy to do valve adjustment with Roller cams....

HTRN

------------------
This Old Shed (http://thisoldshed.tripod.com)

WJHartson
04-23-2005, 03:32 PM
C. Tate,

All aluminum used in rolling mills and by extruders are an alloy of some type. Even 1100 series is an alloy.

Joe

Allan Waterfall
04-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Forrest.......

If you made some of those "male enhancement products" out of billet you could retire in six months on the profits. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Allan

JRouche
04-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I just happened to like the Chinglish under specifications.JRouche

http://www.ebigchina.com/ebcps/4/pd/468332.htm

Oh yeah, and my favorite encyclopedia on the subject of billets and metallurgy.

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Metallurgy

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 04-23-2005).]

ibewgypsie
04-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Alan: you mean like the "light sabre" asked for on another post... HA..

Billet is strong if you engineer enough web thickness on it. I have saw now three sets of footpegs fail.

I got old HD ones on my bike. Footboards on the front.

Jim Luck
04-23-2005, 04:40 PM
The "new" terminology, what a joke!. In years to come no one will know the original meaning of "billet". It seems old words are used with new meanings now a days, because it sound "cool". 30 years ago I worked at a factory that used raw "billets" and ended up with seamless steel tubing. The company would purchase billets in whatever analysis they needed by the customer. A billet is a billet is a billet, but apparantly only us knowledgeable folk know the truth, maybe we should keep this a secret!. Seriously, from now on if it suits the customer, everything I make will be made from "billet stock", even http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif castings!.

[This message has been edited by Jim Luck (edited 04-23-2005).]

John Stevenson
04-23-2005, 05:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:

I got old HD ones on my bike. Footboards on the front.</font>

Footboards?
Do harleys make trams now ?

psomero
04-23-2005, 06:11 PM
as forrest stated, the real dictionary definition of billet is "metallurgy metal bar in semifinished state: a metal bar or block with a simple shape that requires further working"

to these clunkheads, it means more valuable than solid platinum. someone told me that billet in that context simply means "made from one piece of material," therefore, your products are billet also.

Joel
04-23-2005, 06:21 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Forrest Addy:

People who build hot-rods and race cars are building nothing more than high performance parade floats. They're made for glamour and to excite envy among the cannaille. The apotheoses of fast cars are Formula 1, Indy cars, and unlimited dragsters. Anything less is the province of wannbes and dreamers.
</font>

This is a gross over generalization.

I have never been considered “rabble” (canaille), and have certainly never been thought of as low class by virtue of the vehicles that I choose to drive. Few of US here are fortunate enough to be able to afford to run a Formula car, yet we still enjoy a vehicle with high horsepower and the ability to pull close to a G laterally. Let me run you around the block in my ugly, but carefully designed and built 69 Z-28, and THEN call it a “parade float” and me a “wannabe”.

Perhaps you are speaking of the impractical, overpriced, and ill-performing vehicles that are continuously displayed on TV shows like OCC and the like. I personally care little about glamour and envy. I do, however, strongly appreciate a vehicle that performs, as do the many that ceaselessly clamor for a ride. The distinctions are significant, and in my mind, pretty clearly defined.

ibewgypsie
04-23-2005, 06:27 PM
John: my footboards are the vibratory-isolated ones. The top pad rides on lil circles of soft rubber and dampen a lot of the pulsations that makes Harleys what they are.

Milwaukee vibrators!

I had a plug wire come off the old panhead one night, the lil french girl on back was hollering "OHHH YEAH BABY" When I put it back on the plug I shocked the crap outa both of us ruining the moment for her. She's the one that Peed up my back one night while I was hurrying us home.

The old junky bike I have now? it almost hops the front tire while idling. Them old pistons are the size of oil cans. The primary belt drive does dampen chain vibrations but add in power pulsations of a different frequency.

Doc Nickel
04-23-2005, 07:09 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This is a gross over generalization.</font>

Everything is a gross overgeneralization.

Just as not everyone who uses the term "billet" is an uneducated metallurgical lackwit, not every modified/personalized car is a "parade float".

The problem is one of general use by those that are lackwits- an in this case, they're typically lacking in both arenas. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Those that use the term "billet" as somehow differentiated from "a block of aluminum" or as it's own rare and amazing alloy, are also quite often those that put three-level wings and 6" ID exhaust pipe tips on a Celica.

And the sad part is there are far more of those sorts than there are those that build a nice car with well-designed modifications. It's far easier to throw a roll of self-adhesive plastic "diamond plate" trim on a truck than it is to properly coat or armor the rig against rock chips or mud. Neon kits and LED-illuminated valve stems are easier and cheaper to install than a hot cam and high-compression pistons.

Wild CNC-milled and chromed 20" rims attract more attention than WilWood brakes and Koni shocks, and don't take as much time or pesky knowhow to install.

So yes, unfortunately there are plenty of guys out there building little more than fancy parade floats. Can't drive it too fast, the lowering kit and nonexistent-sidewall 20" rims make it ride so rough the DVD player skips. But who cares? You're just going to drive it up and down 'the strip' to pick up chicks (actually, I think they call them "hos" or "bitches" these days) so as long as the stereo can inflict permanent tinnitus in the driver and anyone within sixty feet, that's all that's important.

Doc.

HTRN
04-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Doc, I love the idiots running twenties on low profile tires... WITH THE FACTORY SIZE BRAKES.

The whole point of the larger rim size was so you can go to a bigger size brake disc.

I keep thinking about going to 17's so I can run 13"+ discs on my suburban, then I look at my checking account and decide I'd rather have another mill/boat/rifle....

HTRN

------------------
This Old Shed (http://thisoldshed.tripod.com)

Flash319
04-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Cars don't get you "chicks" and there is always a faster car then yours!

This I learned when I was 18. Some people never learn.

mochinist
04-23-2005, 09:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Can't drive it too fast, the lowering kit and nonexistent-sidewall 20" rims make it ride so rough the DVD player skips. But who cares? You're just going to drive it up and down 'the strip' to pick up chicks (actually, I think they call them "hos" or "bitches" these days) so as long as the stereo can inflict permanent tinnitus in the driver and anyone within sixty feet, that's all that's important.

Doc.[/B]</font>

I hate that when the dvd player skips, it really makes the ride to work unenjoyable. And for the record we call them "hizos" and "biatches" for schizzle my nizzle. lol

C. Tate
04-23-2005, 09:53 PM
I stand corrected. Billets are alloyed.

chief
04-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Gentleman,
I was incorrect, I did not make bolts they were nuts, sorrry for any confusion.
This all goes back to the old 3/4-full cam non-sense.
Talk to me of lift and duration and I know exactly want you want but when people would come to me and ask for a 3/4 cam I always replied " If you want performance why do you only want a cam that will deliver only 3/4 of what you already have."

Your Old Dog
04-24-2005, 12:28 AM
cuemaker's right, first rule of communicating an idea is to speak the proper language. If saying "billet" will pull your business from red to black ink you say "billet", take the money,run and don't look back!

Forest, it's you and a few others like you that make this a great board! As usual it's been not only entertaining but educational as well!
Ray.......

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 04-24-2005).]

SJorgensen
04-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Let me bring this thread back to a serious question. First, my understanding of the strength of metal parts has much to do with the purity of the metal, the crystal grain structure and size of the grain, and the internal stresses of the piece. Cast pieces suffer from internal stresses in the casting during cooling and shrinkage. If a cast piece is not designed with specific stress compensation designed in, it may break of its own accord. Pieces cut from billet material may not have this problem, but does it guarantee that the metal won't suffer from defects or internal stresses?
Books that I have read have seemed to say that parts that are forged or stamped out of metal in the plastic phase have improved grain structures and seem to be tougher.

In general, would a forged part tend to be tougher, than a part cut from billet material?

I respect the opinions of all, but I invite Forest especially.

Thanks all,

Spence

Forrest Addy
04-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Spence. I'm not a metallurigist or even a shadow thereof. I'm a machinist with an abiding curiousity of all that impinges on my trade (engineering, welding, metallurgy, etc).

My information confirms your conclusions are correct: forgings and formed metal products to have improved strength and fatigue resistance compared to identical parts sculpted from solid stock. Castings can also offer superior performance to forgings: the famous Ford cast nodular iron crank's fatigue resistance compared to the Mopar forged cranks in NASCAR service for example.

Just as the fast horse on the oval track won't necessarily win in a steeple chase the best material for an application is not necessarily descend from material having the strongest coupon in a Charpey or tensile tester.

Selecting the best material is a job for the big dollar guys in the metalurgy office and the testing lab - and the race track. A dollar's worth of real expertise is worth any amount of money in the thick of battle, while tromping on the moon, or at 90,000 feet as Mach 3 - or even when revving yer crate motor at the drive-in.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 04-24-2005).]

ibewgypsie
04-24-2005, 01:59 AM
Em are forged pistons, not billet. Good stuff.

Forged under 50 tons of pressure while still semi molten. Makes for a tight grain structure, alloying, flux, clean dies are all critical in producing a solid part.

Billet is pretty when you bolt it on.. It accumulates scratches thou. Grit on a boot ruins the finish. A slip of a allen wrench scratches it beyond polishing it out.

A motorcycle is supposed to be light, quick, easy to handle, not a garbage scow with ornamental iron welded all over it. Function over shine. I picked mine up and turned it around before pushing it out onto the porch.

My shop machines work for a living too. All throw oil, chips and are scratched and used.

Come to think of it I feel pretty used too. I think my billet is cracked.

SJorgensen
04-24-2005, 02:04 AM
Hi Forest,
I've got nothing but respect for the high dollar guys like the NASA engineers that got us to the moon. We all benefit from their intensive application of knowledge and study. I didn't graduate, but I've benefitted from their work.

To tell you the truth though, I would rather have a room full of people like you, that knows what you can do with a piece of metal, than any new kid out of College that has no practical experience.

Real world experience. These folks who have real world experience, can get you to the moon. Others that have never, ever hammered a nail into a piece of wood, and yet have a Doctorate degree? There might be some big void in their knowledge of the physical world, that a college degree just does not bridge.

Some bit of both is best.

wbleeker
04-24-2005, 03:35 AM
When I was a second year apprentice I used to do machinability testing with alloyed billet, yes leaded steel! we started with 4 inch square I made it round, and every now and then the metallurgist came over to the testhouse,measured the round billet , worked out the speed, and then we took a cut withh HSS at 100thou X ten thou feed rate,we timed how long the edge on the tool lasted and they used this information in working out the specifications of the steel. We used a German VDF lathe with variable speed up to 3500rpm this ran off a DC generator right behind me. This was at Port Kembla Steelworks in NSW Australia in 1978. At this same time the merchant mill that made all the flat bar, angle, round etc was still run by a Galloway steam engine that had been purchased secondhand in the UK early in the century, I can't remember the HP but I do remember helping make a massive threee cylinder crankshaft about 50 ton 6 to 8 feet high and 30 to 40 feet long all shrunk together and set up on the floor! I remember being told at the time it would have cost over a million dollars to replace with electricity.All inspired now going to look for more info on the Galloway engine!
Will

Stanko
04-24-2005, 05:31 AM
Well thats settled, Im going to build a billet factory. Only problem I can see is getting a billet big enough !

wierdscience
04-24-2005, 07:51 AM
When I am asked for "billet aluminum" at work,I ask billet aluminum what? Would that be 1100-7075? Forged? Artificially aged?

To me "billet" means a chunk or blob.

I have also said that a person could make billet aluminum dogdoo and somebody will find a place to bolt it on.

Recently I overheard some say "Ford Crown Vic intakes are made from cheap a-- plastic"

To which I repiled,why not? All the intake does is channel air on a fuel injected vehicle,why use aluminum.

Besides I told them,there are 20 million Crown Vic cop cars that are faster than your Chevy http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

torker
04-24-2005, 08:11 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:

I have also said that a person could make billet aluminum dogdoo </font>

weird....you may be onto something here! I just had a thought (a billet moment?)...think I'll go look in the cat's litter box! I'll bet it's full of "blobs"
They very well could be billet http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

pete913
04-24-2005, 08:55 AM
All this talk about billets and hot rod parts got me thinking last night about the time I put a clutch in a camaro for a guy, and he just HAD to have a ZOOM clutch, man that was the hottest thing since sliced bread because it was advertised all over every hot rod mag you picked up. OK so I installed it, all the thing was, was a really el cheapo rebuilt clutch with really heavy springs installed, I could have had a better clutch than that rebuilt right here in town by a couple of different outfits for less money, and painted it purple myself lol.
Hot rod mags are just like cosmopolitan, not a lot of fact, but the cover looks nice.

bob308
04-24-2005, 09:04 AM
well i have not had the billit problem. but what i runinto is if it is not cnc machined then it is not as strong or as acurate. cnc is the magic machining process. and that makes the parts worth twice as much.

Forrest Addy
04-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Doo billet? Ooo! Whatta thought! How about cow billet? I bet there's a fortune piled up in every dairy farm. Politicians! There's a prime source of bull billet. Military regulations: bullets from the chickyard.

Tresseme Shampoo! Now with genuine billet!

Viagra! Put your best billet forward!

Foonman Toothpaste puts a billet in your smile.

"Captain Kirk! Captain Kirk! The Klingons are attacking us." "Steady, Mr Sulu. Let's give them a taste of our new Billet Projector."

Wonderbra for beautiful billets!

Gentlemen, I believe we have founded a new concept and coined a riduculous use for a sensible technical term. I bet the advertizing industry are gnawing their knuckles they didn't think of it first.

torker
04-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Viagra...lol! Come to think of it...that must be why we have to wear pants.
So the gurls can't see our "billet" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Hmmm.. a new business idea,
"Get your sun dried cow manure billets here"

pete913
04-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Maybe we could all get together and start a tv show sorta like OCC. How about 'Big Billet Bike and Car builders'?

ibewgypsie
04-24-2005, 10:24 AM
#1,
* BILLET - PARTS THAT ARE MACHINED OUT OF STOCK (AS OPPOSED TO BEING CAST OR FORGED).

Definition #2, Definition:

1. [noun] a short personal letter; "drop me a line when you get there"
Synonyms: note, short letter, line

2. [noun] lodging for military personnel (especially in a private home)

3. [noun] a job in an organization; "he occupied a post in the treasury"
Synonyms: position, post, berth, office, spot, place, situation

4. [verb] provide housing for (military personnel)
Synonyms: quarter, canton

#3,
' bil·let 2 Pronunciation (blt)
n.
1. A short, thick piece of wood, especially one used as firewood.
2. One of a series of regularly spaced, log-shaped segments used horizontally as ornamentation in the moldings of Norman architecture.
a. A small, usually rectangular bar of iron or steel in an intermediate stage of manufacture.
b. A small ingot of nonferrous metal.
a. The part of a harness strap that passes through a buckle.
b. A loop or pocket for securing the end of a buckled harness strap.

GEEZE am I confused (as usual)

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

John Stevenson
04-24-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm confused ????

First you design it.
Then you make it
Then you bill it
Then you get paid

Isn't everything bill it ??????????

Dave Opincarne
04-24-2005, 01:41 PM
I thought poop was considerd cast.

John Stevenson
04-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Judging my some pained expressions it's also extruded.
The tapered bit on the end is to stop your arse closing with a bang

Norman Atkinson
04-24-2005, 01:58 PM
John,

The correct name is Rectum.

Norman.

John Stevenson
04-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Certainly does if it snaps to.

Norman Atkinson
04-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Have you photographs of this taper turning device?

N-

Allan Waterfall
04-24-2005, 02:25 PM
There was a post with a picture of the one that belonged to Alistair a while ago. Very tight and Scottish. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Allan

Norman Atkinson
04-24-2005, 02:36 PM
:

and for those who have had the operation

;

SJorgensen
04-30-2005, 03:11 AM
This thread pittered out pretty well. It is great as a bad example of good intentions gone bad.

Norman Atkinson
04-30-2005, 03:30 AM
The ticket expired.

(French dictionary required)

And- aahem!

le billet vert- a dollar

And -le terminus-

je te fiche ou flanque mon billet qu'il ne viendra pas! and this translates as in the good old US of A as " He wont come"

Who said that a classical education wans't fun.

Billy Doo.

PSD KEN
04-30-2005, 08:58 PM
For Christs sake, NONE of my modified cars were ever in a parade.
It would appear someone is not clear on the concept.

BWS
05-01-2005, 03:55 AM
I've paraded a few cars through an infield or two.............ooooops.

Thanks for the cycle there Mr.A

Ben Diss
05-01-2005, 08:19 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Opincarne:
I thought poop was considerd cast.</font>

I think poop is an extrusion.