PDA

View Full Version : Forklift Question

Jason J
04-30-2005, 08:18 PM
I have a chance to buy a 4,000# Baker electric forklift pretty cheap. Small hard rubber tires. Max lift is "over 180 inches" with a lowered mast height of about 70" It comes with a charger (3 phase) and a flat battery. I have not seen it yet, maybe tomorrow, What if anything should I be looking for when I inspect it before I plunk down the greenbacks? Any idea if there is a way to get a "good guy deal" on a battery or rejuvinate the old one?
TIA
Jason

IOWOLF
04-30-2005, 08:33 PM
I knew this guy who,after the battery died on a forklift he removed the batt. and replaced it with a small gas generator and a dc converter put it where the battery went and saved a bunch of money.

rockrat
04-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Heres my 2ยข. The guys that work on ours at work are always repairing the mechanical stuff just like anything. But, they do the following to the batteries.

1)They check the fluid in the battery and fill it with distilled water when it is low. This is sometimes needed after a long hard charge due to the battery becomming warm. The water inside evaporates off when the battery is hot.

2) They wear safety equipment (Gloves, lab goggles that seal around eyes and face, rubber apron) when working with the batteries.

3) At night (our lifts get used constantly during the day) they place the batteries on the auto charger and let them run all night.

4) At the end of the week, the autocharger has a button for "weekly charging". I think that it does some extra maintenance on the battery while it charges. Maybe a discharge and recharge of some sort.

Sooooooo... I would make sure the charger looks decent at the least and has some options at the best.

Depending on where you live, your area could make you have a safety procedure for battery spills. Battery charging for us has to be in a clear ventilated area due to the hydrogen gas that is given off during charging.

Otherwise, battery is the way to go if you use the lift much. Or if you use it in the winter and cant ventilate the area. I dont miss the first shop I worked in that had a propane truck. That thing always stunk when it ran. And when it was cold, it didn't want to run for crap. If you stalled it outside in the cold it was a btch to start again.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. rock-

chief
04-30-2005, 09:17 PM
The battery my need replaced, after awhile
they require constant charging.
I would ask to see it run and inspect the Hdyraulic system for leaks.
Check the brakes very seldom do they recieve any attention.

matador
05-01-2005, 01:31 AM
If the batteries are flat,I'd be very careful.
These are HD batteries,and if they're duds,it will get very expensive.Get the seller to charge them overnight before you go to look at it.That should give you some idea what state they're in.

------------------
Hans

wierdscience
05-01-2005, 05:23 PM
They sell battery packs now that have a built in charger and can be wire for 12,24,36 and 48 volts.Seems the last price I saw was $900 in McMaster Carr.

Milacron of PM
05-01-2005, 05:56 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They sell battery packs now that have a built in charger and can be wire for 12,24,36 and 48 volts.Seems the last price I saw was $900 in McMaster Carr.
</font> Those are meant for the smallest of the electric pallet jacks...would not have anywhere near enough amp hours to run his proposed forklift.

The battery he needs for that forklift cost about $3,200 new, reconditioned ones are about $1,000. Typical life expectancy on new is 10 years, but 15 is possible under certain conditions.