PDA

View Full Version : USA tap, kinda sad...

hoffman
05-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I needed a 5/16 tap for a project so I headed down to Lowes for a tap. I got a Vermont "Black Max" which is what they sell.
Not a good tap at all. Stamped "Made in USA" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

------------------
Deep Sea Tool Salvage

wierdscience
05-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Does Vermont make anything good anymore?

I have some old taps that are ground HSS,probably 30 years old or better thou.

That's why I stick to OSG and Greenfield.

J Tiers
05-01-2005, 09:38 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
Does Vermont make anything good anymore?

</font>

Did they ever?

Maybe, I have some old stuff that hasn't failed me....

The older hex snap-in stuff for the drill drivers was guaranteed for life....last time I turned one in on the guarantee, the replacement was NOT guaranteed.....on the other hand, it hasn't crapped out on me...

The old one was fine, until someone borrowed it and drilled in metal with it...spun it inside the hex base, and never told me. I know they drilled metal because the chip was still stuck to it. They weren't made for that.

The only thing holding the drill was a small flat like a weldon flat, with the hex base squished into it. New ones are the same.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 05-01-2005).]

CCWKen
05-01-2005, 09:54 PM
What was wrong with the tap? Dull? Bad threads? Soft?

I've run up to the hardware store for Vermont 1/4-20 taps in a pinch. The weren't too hard or sharp but the did about 50 holes. Not bad for the price.

precisionworks
05-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Weird, great minds think alike &lt;LOL&gt;. OSG & Greenfield are my favorites also.

J&L carries both brands. If you shop their overstock area http://www.jlindustrial.com/hotdeals/invblowout.jsp you can sometimes find them 50% to 80% off retail.

------------------
Barry Milton

JRouche
05-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Hey Barry, thanks for the J&L site. Never knew the blowout section was there. Good prices. JRouche

hoffman
05-01-2005, 10:11 PM
I guess it was OK. I tapped 6 holes through 1/2 steel with it. I do need some better taps...

precisionworks
05-01-2005, 11:09 PM
JRouche,

You're welcome. I search it every few days.

If you enter a 50% discount amount you'll get about 20,000 results. Then you can pick through the "refine search" area for anything you specifically want.

Bought an APT indexable boring bar for $23 ($85 retail). Almost as good as eBay on some items.

------------------
Barry Milton

ibewgypsie
05-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Sizing a drill for the proper thread depth is critical. As is purchasing the "proper tap" Different thickness of metal take different drills, as does materiel type.

I know of starter taps, bottom taps, what else is there? The starter taps have a long taper to square up the tap as it starts into the hole. Bottom taps are more like a plug with short taper. Spiral taps, two flute, three, four, five. I never figured out what goes where. I'm just happy to have a few.

Most Lowes people who order things don't have a clue. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck. Unless you want a goose, then it's a goose.