PDA

View Full Version : Surfacing a steel table.

SJorgensen
05-01-2005, 11:44 PM
My friend has a great steel table. A 1-inch thick table, recently acquired, 4-foot square on welded on pipe legs. The surface has quite a few imperfections from grindings and weldings etc. It might be necessary to remove as much as 1/8" to get to a good surface. We have three milling machines but they might not be the best choice.

What methods would you suggest?

lugnut
05-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Cut off the legs and turn the top over and reattach the legs. Then you will only have to smooth up the spots where the legs was. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-02-2005, 12:13 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lugnut:
Cut off the legs and turn the top over and reattach the legs. Then you will only have to smooth up the spots where the legs was. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif</font>

I like lugnut's idea....

If that's not possible, I would add material and smooth it back out rather than remove material.. (I'd fill in the pited areas/holes/goudged with welding/filler rod, or brazing rod), then grind back to flush.

I have a 4x8' welding table, but I only have 1/4" plate steel for the top.. I'd love to have 1" thick top, but my 1/4" top was heavy enough at 400lbs.

-Adrian

Michael Az
05-02-2005, 12:49 AM
I like both ideas but a word of caution if you weld any on the top. I would try to keep it cool enough to not warp it. My table is 4' X 4' X 3/4" on wheels. It would have been a great table but whoever made it warped the plate pretty bad when they welded it. I got it for $75 so I can't complain.
Michael

wierdscience
05-02-2005, 08:06 AM
If you weld up the pits,take a ball pein hammer and pien the hell out of each weld as you finish them.Maybe it won't warp.

precisionworks
05-02-2005, 08:54 AM
I might be easiest to knock down any high spots & lay a new sheet on top. 3/16" to 1/4" would be plenty thick.

A few tacks on all four sides will hold it in place. Some years down the road when that surface is all dinged up it will take little time to grind off the tacks & flip the sheet over.

------------------
Barry Milton

jkilroy
05-02-2005, 10:46 AM
How much work is done should depend on what your friend wants to use the table for? If he is going to use it as a general work bench or welding table then I would just take a big side grinder and knock down the high spots, and let it rip. If he requires a really nice surface that he is NOT going to weld on then I would follow that up with a piece of stainless.

------------------
James Kilroy

spkrman15
05-02-2005, 04:55 PM
They sell special grinding wheels for hand held grinders to smooth out imperfections. They are cuped discs.

I Would weld the holes up and grind it down. If it warps then weld a bead approximately the same length an size as the bead you laid down to fill the hole. You be amazed at how much it will bring it back.

I would flip it first, weld it second. Take your time welding it. If you can't pick it up without gloves, it is too hot. Let it cool, do not quench it. The peinning of the weld helps.

Warping a 1" thick piece of metal, i would not worry too much.

Rob http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif