PDA

View Full Version : new swedish subs use STERLING ENGINE

quasi
04-28-2005, 03:15 PM
I saw a show last night on subs,and the new swedish diesel electric subs have an auxilary sterling engine onboard that enables them to recharge their batterys without running the diesel engine.

The sterling engine is run with the use of liquid oxygen, and enables the sub to run for up to a month without coming up to snorkel depth and using its diesels.

x39
04-28-2005, 05:41 PM
VERY cool!

Evan
04-28-2005, 06:20 PM
It isn't new. Kockums of Sweden developed that system 20 years ago. It was first fitted to a French research sub, the Saga in the 80s.

andy_b
04-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Evan,

i bet no one can beat you at trivial pursuit.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

andy b.

Lew Hartswick
04-28-2005, 10:14 PM
andy-
if he is so good why isn't he on Jeopardy? :-)
Ken Jennings, look out. :-)
...lew...

YoheShop
04-29-2005, 11:27 AM
The first Sterling powered ship was supposedly built by John Erickson and launched in September 1853. It is described in the book titled "Hot Air, Caloric and Stirling Engines" by Robert Sier.

Herb

kenc
04-29-2005, 03:47 PM
>Evan,
>i bet no one can beat you at trivial pursuit.
>andy b.

Or at least in Googling quickly......

quasi
04-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Evan, a french research sub?, what are they researching, new ways to surrender?

IOWOLF
04-29-2005, 07:48 PM
French sub? wow, imagine the smell of several frenchmen in a can.

Evan
04-29-2005, 09:43 PM
How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?
No one knows. It's never been tried.

wierdscience
04-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Forsale! French military tank,one owner,never used.

5 reverse gears and no forward.

x39
04-29-2005, 11:18 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
French sub? wow, imagine the smell of several frenchmen in a can.</font>
How about several hundred? 1978, 10 hour UTA flight over the equatorial Pacific, cabin temp about 95f. Been there, done that.

IOWOLF
04-30-2005, 06:42 AM
OMG ! look what I've started. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

J Tiers
04-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey, some of us froggies might think you didn't like us.......

Defending Paris HAS been tried, but not enough Frenchmen could agree on how to do it........

Norman Atkinson
05-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Shades of Hector Berlioz and his Symphonie Fastastique. March to the Scaffold and all that.

Legend has it that he conducted the band- walking backwards!

Even their navigation is quite faulty.
Fancy a Frenchman being an ocean out and building The Statue of Liberty in New York.

And then- if the history book is to be believed- Lord Nelson bowled his cannon shots off the tops of the waves into the french fleet. They said it wasn't cricket and shot him. He, in his dying moments kissed his second in command and said "Kiss Me, Hardy". And Oliver did! They then decided to take Nelson home in a Column and filled it with gin from the seaman's rations- or something like that. And then Hardy got a job with Stan Laurel in the movies- doing sea stories.

Of course, Engish history is full of stirring stories and Sir Francis Drake went in the Golden Behind circumcised the World with a 40 foot cutter.

It is a bit funnier than some picture in Boston Mass. The picture of the Civil War has one bloke taking all the parts and across the way, the picture of George Washington with his gums filled with cotton wool is there with his horse's backside dominating the picture.

Oh, travel broadens the mind as the old lady said sitting on the tractor seat!

I always said that a classical education was worth having.

[This message has been edited by NORMAN ATKINSON (edited 05-02-2005).]

Peter S
05-02-2005, 07:09 PM
quasi,
Thanks for that, interesting how the Stirling keeps popping up in history.

Here is a company that does something a bit more mundane, but still aimed at power generation

http://www.whispergen.com/

aboard_epsilon
05-02-2005, 07:41 PM
yup another british product that is doomed if they dont get there fingers out
I heared about this two years ago .
since then
there's been no promotion
they dont answer emails
and my electricity supplier whoom they say they are working with ...dont understand..quote "sorry dont know what your on about ".....several departments later I gave up.... or have not put up a department .so you can talk about it with them.
all the best...mark

BillJ
05-03-2005, 12:44 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by quasi:
Evan, a french research sub?, what are they researching, new ways to surrender?</font>

Actually, the French have nothing to be ashamed of in WWII. They were overwhelmed and help was held back. Their underground resistance was famously courageous.
Check out the timeline at http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/timeline/ww2time.htm

Canada was only dragged into the war because of our ties to Britain. There were lots of pro-Nazi politicians in both our countries, and volunteers who went to fight the fascists in Spain were treated like traitors when they came home.

Norman Atkinson
05-03-2005, 02:31 AM
My ties with France go beyond language.

If you look at a map drawn between the collapse of France in 1940 and Victory in Europe Day( which was 60 years, yesterday) you will note a line of demarcation.

Perhaps, you wiil tell the rest of the readers what that was all about.

My bit after La Liberation was to feed a starving and partitioned Germany.
It is interesting to think that the American and British flyers took everything in- by air. The French- au contraire- took in champagne for their Officer's Mess.

"Ou est le Papier( de toilet)"

Sadly, Monsieur, my history is premier main.

Tout et Perdue pour L'Honnaire et Sa Vie?

Norman Atkinson
05-03-2005, 03:05 AM
Perhaps, I should up date the story for other Canadian readers.

It was 11AM on the 3rd September. The little car was parked high up in the French countryside, the swallows were flying low.
I fished in my jacket pocket for my Squadron tie, pinned my Three Poppies onto my lapel and faced the dazzling white pillars of Vimy Ridge.

The French had forgotten. I hope that Canadians will never forget.

An engineering flavour- Oh, yes.
The walkways on that fateful hill are still the only safe place to walk. The ammunition
that didn't kill those poor boys is still live. They aren't and it was 1914-18.

Stanko
05-03-2005, 05:32 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aboard_epsilon:
yup another british product that is doomed if they dont get there fingers out
</font>

Actually a New Zealand product, but then I suppose we were once a colony!

Norman Atkinson
05-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Hi, Kiwi!

My history book shows that 103 of you flew in the Battle of Britain. 14 of them didn't make even the next phase.

The name Leigh Mallory comes to mind and led "the Big Wing". Brother George died on Everest.

Two excellent New Zealand " imports" and there were countless more.

Lest we forget.

aboard_epsilon
05-03-2005, 08:58 AM
your right stanko.
over these last two years i must have forgoten
sorry
all the best.mark