PDA

View Full Version : saw blade arbour enlarging

Alistair Hosie
09-06-2002, 09:35 AM
I have several saw blades (small which would be ideal on a tenoning machine I have but the arbour on the machine is 22 mm and the hole in the blades is 20 mm how best can they be enlarged while keeping the hole true to avoid run out Alistair

Stepside
09-06-2002, 10:04 AM
Use a boring head on the mill or a boring bar on the lathe. Set up very carefully and bore. Then send blade out to be re sharpened.

spaceace
09-06-2002, 09:18 PM
good luck boring thru hss, last time i checked it was tough. adapting the arbor might be alternative.

Rotate
09-06-2002, 09:46 PM
The steel around the hole shouldn't be hardened so you will be able to bore it using HSS or carbide.

Albert

trap
09-07-2002, 12:46 AM
if all the above fails ..... put a small cherry grinding sone in a die grinder and make it fit.

Thrud
09-07-2002, 04:14 AM
Alistair
I agree with Stepside.

docsteve66
09-07-2002, 09:35 AM
Alistair: The stepper is right. You set it up as close to center as possible, bore to as near spec as possible, send it out to a GOOD sharpener who will use your hole as center to sharpen the teeth and make them concnetric to your hole.
Adapting the arbor leads to problems cause your blade is the only blade that fits the arbor-unless its your arbor that is off size.

In my experience, most all steel blades are soft, even to the teeth. a file cuts them with ease. even the "Flame Hardened" blades don't seem to be really hard. They aretough ratherthan hard. I good file will tell you a lot about the problem.
Steve

Alistair Hosie
09-07-2002, 01:49 PM
The machine in question is a rather strange But wonderful device made in Germany it has a motor with cutter spindle set on two columns,which stand upright the wood is locked on a horizontal table and the motor complete with upright stand slides on a twin bars like a little lathe bed cutting the wood the motor complete with spindle and blade can be raised or lowered acording to thickness of cut. It is a neat little machine which I bought second hand. At the moment I have plate jointer blade from felder in it we call it a biscuit joiner here in u k it is twenty two mm and fits and cuts perfectly I have never seen another machine like it it is three phase industrial but small.Last week at an auction I purchase three sets of double type scoring blades virtually new for around twenty five dollars U S complete with spacer shims and with another two bladestwenty five Thrud for the lot, but I was really after the small scoring blades which are 20mm arbour hole but look as if they would cut beautifully.so whatever happens I am not out of pocket but would naturaly like to do the job properly sending them out to be done would be out of the question as each blade would have to be cut thats six holes at probably ten bucks each thats not on for the thrifty scotsman (misserable Bar steward more like).So if I make them a little big no worries I can make nylon washers /spacers to take up the difference Thanks guys so far will probably try docsteves method or traps because of my lack of a milling machine and proper cutters.thanks again from the big man Alistair

George Hodge
09-07-2002, 09:21 PM
Alistair,I bought some rotary mower blades at a sale for small price,thinking they would fit my mower. The center hole was about 1/16" too small.Tried all the drills and grinding burrs I had,but nothing would touch the metal.Ended up using a small round diamond sharpening stone in a high speed grinder. Took a long time,but the blades seldom need sharpening.
You might mount them against a faceplate in the lathe and use a carbide tool,ground to the shape for boring.

Alistair Hosie
09-09-2002, 04:49 PM
I just looked today this german machine is available also in USA its called a WEGOMA anyone heard of it Alistair