PDA

View Full Version : Bad Companies

GRH
05-02-2005, 06:44 PM
I recently bought from "APPLIED Technologies"
(2( vee belts a B34 and a B41, my old belts had these numbers on them also the parts manual agreed , I checked the length's and my old belts are about 1/4 longer. Yesterday
machine started to vibrate and found old belts about to brake so I got the (2) new ones only to discover they are about 2-1/2
inches too long and have (2) part numbers on them, so this morning I go back with receipt to "Appiied Technologies" and was told by the manager tough as it was over 30 days and they did not know how I had stored them so they would do nothing.
I went then to "Grainger" and they sold me what I needed with my old companies 50% discount.
I told "Applied Technology's manager I would never do business with them again and told also I would tell all my friends and this BBS and the manager said he couldn't care less.
So that's there stinkin attitude.
When the word spreads and they lose enough business and close up they get there deserve and then they try to blame foreign competition.

Graeme

beckley23
05-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Had a similar experience with them about restocking charges, which they never enforced in prior trades, several years ago. They wouldn't wave them, I wouldn't pay them. Pulled the account and took my business elsewhere, and lowered my costs. The salesman tagged to my account never followed up. I know I wouldn't let an account go, without a fight, that was spending several thousand on a yearly basis, consistently. I see their attitude hasn't changed.
Harry

CCWKen
05-02-2005, 08:04 PM
I've never done business with them but I'll put them on the "Black List".

They should change their name to UN-Applied Technologies.

C. Tate
05-02-2005, 08:29 PM
In their defense I have had good dealings with them. Before I left the home shop I made modifications to Army Humvee which required synchronous drive belts and pulleys. We spent a lot of time on the phone and about demensions and such. They have been good supplier for me in the past.

Unfortunately many of these type suppliers are looking for the large repeat orders forgetting that small guys are the bread and butter.

CT

wierdscience
05-02-2005, 08:59 PM
I have been dealing with them for years.They used to be Dixie Bearings.

When Dixie owned them service to accounts was a lot better and they would work with you on discounts and such.

Then Applied was formed and everything went to hell in a handbasket.All thier long time sales people went to other companies.

Our salesman went to work for Kamman industrial for about two years,then they turned in to pricks.

When he left we followed him with our business because he comes in and does our stock ordering for us and he is a hell of a nice guy and bends over backwards for us.

Last year our Kamman branch folded because they started treating him like s---.So he got a really good offer to go back to Applied which he did.After that Kamman folded.

Now we are back to where we started,same good people,same good prices.For awhile Applied had us locked in at thier retail price which sucked since most of our bussiness is retail.No that he is back with more pull they got flexable on the pricing.We are back to 10-20% under black on most MRO items.

I have noticed an increase in mis-marked or mis-boxed items,but that is the fault of thier vendors and not them.

Now all of that mixup with companies and people was caused by corprate having grandious ideas about some hair brained business model dreamed up by a rising star f---up.Everything was flowing freely and good for all involved until that idiot started the snowball running.

When the shake up occured they lost our $40,000 a year account and about 13 others the whopper of which was a $4million plant upgrade,all because some micro-manager got a wild hair up his ass.

While we are on bad companies I would like to add Dodge/Reliance/Rexnord and Clevland twist drill both for the same offense.

Mexican or Chinese parts sold for American prices.

Dodge because I know Damn well what China cast iron machines like,and the pullies I bought from them and borded last week were both China crap iron with an American price.

CTD because some parting blades I paid $30 a piece for came from Mexico.

I don't mind import junk,so long as I pay an import junk price http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

meho
05-02-2005, 09:13 PM
I used to use Applied all the time here. Applied bought Dixie here as well. I now like to do bussiness with Motion Industries.

Applied would never treat me like that. We buy too much from them, Emcore Corp.

Sounds like some miss labled stock. Goodyear Checkmate belts I presume? Probably one number on the belt and another on the paper sleave.

A good store manager would make you good no matter how much you buy. Good luck with another supplier.

James

wierdscience
05-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Oh forgot to mention Grainger are pure 100% a--holes here,never,ever do I buy anything from them.
We were setup as a branch for them once,we got 30% under book price for our margin.They were big on drop shipping direct to customers.After WE had beat the pavement and built up the bussiness they took away our discount and set a saleman around to all OUR customers.Dirty lying bastards,last time the salesman came by our shop I threw thier catalog at him as he climbed into his car.Haven't bought $100 from them in 15 years,no I'm not bitter http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

Motion Industries,the reason I started doing business with Dixie years ago was I needed a bearing set for a sand classifier late one Friday afternoon.Two bearings in the set about $2,000.Called up manager he said they had them and would be open til 5:00,I drove 90 mph to get there in time,4:40 I showed up and they closed the door and locked it on me,I called all I got was a"Oh man,we're closed for the day,come back Monday" it's been at least 11 years since my last Moron Industries order.

meho
05-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Wierd,

I think the reason I get good service at Motion is because I dated the store Mgr's daughter in high school. A long, long time ago! Used to ride horses at his place. We were and still are good friends.

James

[This message has been edited by meho (edited 05-02-2005).]

CCWKen
05-02-2005, 10:28 PM
I dated the rabi's daughter in high school. That didn't get me any favors. Probably because I'm not Jewish. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

JPR
05-02-2005, 10:46 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...I drove 90 mph to get there in time,4:40 I showed up and they closed the door and locked it on me...</font>

I thought I am the only one that happened to. When I bought my mig welder while living in Idaho, the Miller dealer I liked had gone out of business leaving the one with mediocre service. Waited all week for their shipment to arrive with money in hand. Finally at 9:30 am on Saturday morning, yes the shipment came in late on Friday and they would be open till noon (normal working hours). I arrived at 10:30 am as they were walking out and was told tough, come back on Monday.

I bought a different brand later that day from a farm supply who's owner stayed an hour late to make the $1500 sell.

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 05-02-2005).]

chief
05-03-2005, 04:18 AM
I wonder why some people are even in business. When I was a kid the local auto parts guy had everything or could get it in a day or two and would even give a young guy credit and was always helpful.
Now when I go to the auto parts store I look up the part number ahead of time because usually the moron behind the counter can't.
A couple of years ago I went to a chain auto parts store and asked for valve grinding compound and all I got was duh?
Finally an old guy came out and got it for me, turned out he worked in one of those local stores till they were pushed out of business.
It kind of reminds me of Allan Jackson's "little man".

J Tiers
05-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Those same places can't even find a V-belt unless you tell them what model vehicle it is from. Good luck if you want one for another use.... "duh, we wouldn't have one of those".
Automotive belts may be crap, but the stores are sometimes the only local source when you need one.

Same with small engine places...the folks who know are suddenly not there anymore, and the pimply 18 year old needs all the numbers, your date of birth, and the secret code in order to find the part on the computer. The old guys would just go get it.

I've even gotten that routine when I HAVE the part number....they need to "cross-check it" in case its been replaced with a new number.

Kinda reminds me of the cartoon of the guy at the parts cage counter....with the clerk saying "it's no good pointing at it, the computer says we don't have one".

Nice way to obsolete a unit, though, take all cross-reference to it out of the computer.
Now, even though it uses a common part, nobody can find it. And you would need ALL the numbers from some model that DOES use the part in order to find it....like you might have that for all the parts you need.......

On "bad companies"....they are everywhere, for all sorts of reasons....the local car repair place decided that they had too many bad checks, so they only take cash or credit card. Someone getting expensive work done may not WANT to put that n the card...I don't.
So, they have your name, the vehicle VIN, the license plate number, and an address, and a DL number if they ask for it......what more do they possibly need to track down and recover from a deadbeat?
But a credit card is safe? right....may be stolen, ID theft, whatever....

On the other hand, I live 2 blocks from them, have for 20 years, and they think I am a check-kiting deadbeat..... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif .....I told them they had IMO just called me a cheat and thief, and I refused to deal with them anymore. I'll go a mile to avoid them....

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 05-03-2005).]

mcassill
05-03-2005, 12:37 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J Tiers:
Those same places can't even find a V-belt unless you tell them what model vehicle it is from. Good luck if you want one for another use.... "duh, we wouldn't have one of those".
Automotive belts may be crap, but the stores are sometimes the only local source when you need one.
</font>

At least in my area the Farm & Home stores have them. Love those places.
Mark

wierdscience
05-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Ha,times have changed all right.I remember walking into the local Sears parts/service center with my dad,I was I think 8 or 9.He needed a timer and a solinoid valve for our washing machine.Sales clerk behind the counter saw us come in carrying the parts,he turned around and quickly walked back between a row of shelves,came back to the counter,dropped the solinoid on it,walked back again down another row and came back with the timer and four spring hose clamps just as we walked up!That was service!

We walked in,had out parts paid for and walked out in less than 5 minutes and all without a single dumb question.BTW the hose clamps were on the house.

Now what do you get from Sears?????

wierdscience
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by meho:
Wierd,

I think the reason I get good service at Motion is because I dated the store Mgr's daughter in high school. A long, long time ago! Used to ride horses at his place. We were and still are good friends.

James

[This message has been edited by meho (edited 05-02-2005).]</font>

Hehe..you were the good son-in-law that got away http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

JS
05-03-2005, 11:55 PM
I used to have one of the best parts guy in the auto store helping me with my projects. Jerry had 40 years behind a parts counter he could tell you a parts number without looking it up . He will be missed

Any more it is not about service it is about volume. and getting you to sign up for their high interest credit cards.

JS
05-03-2005, 11:56 PM
I used to have one of the best parts guy in the auto store helping me with my projects. Jerry had 40 years behind a parts counter he could tell you a parts number without looking it up . He will be missed

Any more it is not about service it is about volume. and getting you to sign up for their high interest credit cards.

sandman2234
05-06-2005, 10:04 PM
I had a good parts guy over at NAPA, but they finally ran him off. He is doing maintance work for a local church/school.
David from jax