X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hoffman
    • Oct 2004

Did I screw up?

My daughter was asking if my furnace would melt glass so we tried it out....
    Now I have blue glass stuck to the bottom of my oven from where it oozed over the sides of the little dish I put in there.
    It melted...

------------------
    Deep Sea Tool Salvage
    Techno-Anarchist
  • SGW
    • Apr 2001

My vote: yes and no. You screwed up by letting the glass get on the furnace floor, but you emphatically succeeded in being a Dad who responds to things his kid is interested in and takes the time to do something about it. In the grand scheme of things...I think you're way ahead.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• ricksplace
      • Feb 2005

Hoffman:

Way to go! Your daughter is one lucky girl.

Comment

• Otto
        • Apr 2005

Here you go:

www.warmglass.com

Don't blame me, but fusing and slumping glass is addictive.

Otto

Comment

• hoffman
          • Oct 2004

Well, both my girls enjoy hanging around the shop, sometimes a little TOOO much because it can be a dangerous place.

I've tried to get my 12 year old interested in some sort of metalworking by showing her pics of metal art and such but she just enjoys sitting on a stool talking to me. She has tried some mig welding but wasn't enthused. That's OK though.

She was pretty amazed at the glass melting deal especially the as it drew out into long (and probably dangerous) strings. I thought it was cool too

She's studying electricity in science and was asking about some batteries.

Looks loke a trip to Radio Shack for one of those experiment deals

So can I get this blob out of my furnace??

------------------
          Deep Sea Tool Salvage
          Techno-Anarchist

Comment

• garyphansen
            • Aug 2004

Heat it up and carefully drip some cold water on it and it should shatter into small bits. If you are not careful so will your fire brick.

Gary P. Hansen
            In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

• hoffman
              • Oct 2004

Thanks Gary. What temp should I do it at?
              Techno-Anarchist

Comment

• WJHartson
                • Oct 2002

Don't know what kind of refractory you have in the furnace. You might want to try hitting the glass lightly with a pointed hammer and see if it will break up cold. WEAR ALL OF YOUR SAFETY EQUIPMENT AND A FACE SHIELD. If that doesn't work then heat it to a couple hundred degrees and then sprinkle water on the glass, don't pore it on or you will damage the refractory. It should break up into smaller pieces.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Comment

• snowman
                  • Mar 2004

lol...

you need to get that glass out pronto.

Molten glass is fancy ****. I can drop a 1 lb bolt into molten glass and it will dissolve...your bricks are going to be eaten like acid if you dont get that glass out of there.

Just get a wood chisel and chip it out, it'll come out relatively easy. After you get it out, you'll have a hole to fill. Find your local pottery supply place and ask them for some kiln patch....dont remember the exact name, but you just need a product to patch up a hole in a kiln floor. They should suggest something. If not, email me direct and I should be able to help you out.

Next time you decide to melt glass, do it on a piece of clay (or metal)...make sure you use a release (just a mixture of clay and alumina).

-Jacob

Comment

Working...
                  X