X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzig5
    • May 2005

EMCO Mill re-assembly

I have recently acquired a small EMCO (Austria?) mill. It was built around 1984. The manual that came with it is for a model FB-2. The mill I have is basically the same, but a lot of the mechanicals are different such as lead screw backlash adjustment, grease filled gear head instead of oil, etc, so the instructions don't relate. I have not been able to find much on these small milling machines yet. Can someone help me figure out what I have and where I can get a manual?

I would also like help with the backlash adjustment on the longitudinal axis. I had to take the slide assembly off to move the thing by myself. Now I need to put it back together. There was a spring captured between two blocks that preloads the lead screw. I can't tell how much tension to put on it.

The stationary nut the lead screw runs through and the spring pushes against (the other nut floats on the screw) is bolted to the machine base. Is it acceptable to remove it from the base, install it on the screw, (setting the preload on the spring) and then bolt it back to the base as the table assembly is slid onto the ways? This would be a lot easier than trying to hold that silly spring in place while holding 60lbs of table assembly.
    Thanks.

Greg
  • gzig5
    • May 2005

additional info.
    If it helps any, I realized the FB-2 is a six speed head and mine is four speeds. The power switch is comletely different and on the front instead of the right side. I did find reference to an FB-2E. Could that be what I have?

I could post pics if someone would point me to instructions.

Comment

• MarcN
      • Feb 2004

You're right, your mill doesn't sound like my FB-2. Try calling Blue Ridge Machinery at 304-562-3538, and they can probably tell you which model you have. I think Emco-Maier is still doing business in the US as an importer, so try a Google search for them. There's also a Yahoo group for Emco/Unimat lathe owners, and there may be some Emco mill users in that group. I didn't have to disassemble my mill when I moved it in, so I can't help with your specific question. The English website lathes.com.uk will also have info.

Good Luck, Marc N.

Comment

Working...
      X