X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n653ds
    • Mar 2005

Helicoil question

I want to remember you can "gang" Helicoils to give a deeper thread (i.e. two 3/4" long inserts to give approximately 1-1/2" thread). Am I remembering correctly?

Steve
  • John Stevenson
    • Mar 2001

Yes but why?
    Any thread length greater than 2D isn't any stronger.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• ronsmith100
      • May 2005

And D is?

Comment

• chipeater
        • Oct 2003

diameter

Comment

• ronsmith100
          • May 2005

and the diameter is?

Comment

• JCHannum
            • Nov 2001

Helicoil supplies short, medium and long inserts. They are 1X, 1.5X & 2x the diameter.

Diameter is nominal fastener size.
            Jim H.

Comment

• chipeater
              • Oct 2003

The diameter of the bolt/screw. What John is saying is that a thread depth greater than twice the diameter of the fastener adds little in the way of strength.

Here's a more precise treatment:
              (2d is close enough for me, thank you)

2.3.1 Minimum length of thread engagement for screw breakage

This is where the tensile strength of the material must be employed. under the assumption that the stripping tension factors are not the same, the following calculation process is realized:

Keeping the acceptable shear tension in mind, the strip off diameter must be determined. The acceptable shear tension for the screws and nuts are constructed so:

t mB = bB*RmB t mM = b M*RmM.

The opposite relation to acceptable shear tension result from the material factors of the screws and nuts through:

a B = tmM/(t mM+tmB) a M = 1-aB.

In the middle of the theoretical thread lies the pitch diameter d2 between the Thread tips. The measure-ment from the pitch diameter d2 to the tip of the thread is H/2. Half of the diameter is transformed to the value
              D d/2 = H/2-HB/2
              although
              HB = a B*P/tan (a آ°/2)
              when using different material values, such as breaking point e.g. yielding points.

Upon including of the pitch diameter d2, the value 0.5 = tan (a آ°/2)*H/P and the factor a B have the strip off diameter

dt = d2 + (0.5-aB)*P/tan (a آ°/2).

As the pitch here is included so varying length of thread engagement for the standard and fine threads will be as a result.

The breaking load of the screws results to
              FBr = RmB*As.
              With this strength the strip off cylinder’s recommended shear surface becomes
              At = FBr*(1/tmM+1/t mB)
              Under the influence of the strip off diameter, the minimum length of thread engagement becomes
              mmin = At /(dt*p ).

At this length of thread engagement, "equilibrium" exist between the loaded thread levels and the stress cross section tension of the screws. in order to avoid stripping, the minimum length of thread engagement must be increased. An increase of about 5 % is recommended.

Comment

• ronsmith100
                • May 2005

WOW! all this information and I still don’t have the answer I am looking for. I want to know what diameter is the screw or bolt he is using?
                The gentleman stated he wanted to put two helicoils back to back to get a thread length of 1-1/2 inches. That is all I can read. I do not read anything where he mentions the diameter of the screw/bolt
                If you don’t know what the diameter then this makes no sense to me:

"Yes but why?
                Any thread length greater than 2D isn't any stronger."

How did you guess that 1-1/2â€‌ was more than 2D?

Ron

Comment

• John Stevenson
                  • Mar 2001

Mind reading

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• precisionworks
                    • Feb 2005

Steve,

I've often stacked two heilcoils end-to-end. Just a matter of inserting the first coil to depth, breaking the tang, and inserting the second coil (and break the tang).

It's good practice to run the bolt through the double (or triple) insert to make sure it threads in well. There is no way I can imagine messing this up as each coil is a continuation of the coil installed before it.

------------------
                    Barry Milton
                    Barry Milton

Comment

• ronsmith100
                      • May 2005

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
                      Mind reading</font>
                      Oh! dang me! I shoulda known by now.

Comment

• ibewgypsie
                        • Dec 2002

"Mindless reading"??

David

Comment

• n653ds
                          • Mar 2005

Geez, I didn't want to stir a hornets nest. I thought it was a simple questionbased on what I wanted to remember, but the early 70's were pretty rough on the ol' brain cells, sometime the memory plays tricks.

What we have is some 3/8-24 holes (OEM) that are called out as 1" full thread (hey, we didn't design 'em, we are just contracted to fix 'em to the drawing). However, we have some 1/2" long 3/8-24 Helicoils on the shelf. We tried ganging a couple but ran into problem when the bolt threaded to the inner Helicoil - the second insert wanted to gall at the starting thread. I thought I had ganged them the past, at least I was pretty sure I had (damaged memory cells again).

The length in the original post was a "for instance", just a point for conversation. I agree 2 X dia is all you really need, but like I said, we didn't design 'em, we just fix 'em per the drawing.

And now back to the regularly scheduled insanity.

Steve

Comment

• JCHannum
                            • Nov 2001

Steve, the problem is that the Helicoil will shift in position somewhat. A single unit will adjust itself when the fastener is installed. It is when the fastener passes into the second that a problem might occur, the fastener may push it down, making the threads out of pitch.

It may be possible to hold things in place with a light application of Loc Tite removeable thread locker.

If the fastener is to be removed and replaced, a solid insert would be a better choice.
                            Jim H.

Comment

• tattoomike68

Helicoil is junk and so is anything with a Helicoil in it.

junk,Helicoil = POS.

end of message.

Comment

Working...
                              X