PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sears warranty information!

pgmrdan
05-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Has anyone noticed that when you go to the Sears website and bring up a product, that if you want warranty information you have to give them all sorts of information about the product, then you have to give them your email address, and then, hopefully, you'll someday get an email response with the warranty information.

Seems a bit odd to me.

Why are they hiding the warranty information for products I'm considering buying? Have they reduced their warranties that much?

Paul Alciatore
05-20-2005, 12:12 PM
I don't know what they are doing with their warranties but I can guess why they do it this way. They are gathering information on their customers and perspective customers. In other words, on everyone they can. If the info was readily available then they wouldn't get that so they force you to give them what they want for what you want. Can you say, "Big Brother"?

There are armies of people who are gathering all the information on us that they can. I personally think it is a heck of a way to treat a customer but perhaps it is not so new. Flesh and blood salesmen did the same thing with "friendly" conversation. And we enjoyed it.

Paul A.

docsteve66
05-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Sears seems to be reducing what they cover under warranty. When there with son in law to have his chain saw maintenance done (he has had a contract for years). Lady told him they no longer replaced the chain and bar routinely. He claimed is was part of the contract, she said OK, bring it with you and we will do it. Store had his contract number but no print out. He is SOL unless he has a specific agreement, though they had replaced bar and chain yearly in the past.

PSD KEN
05-20-2005, 08:40 PM
How about some of the mail in warrenties?
They get very personal. "how much money do you make?" Getting married this year?"
"Having a baby?"
I draw a "X" thru the questions, supply basic, needed info for the warrenty.

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-20-2005, 08:44 PM
I don't know if Sears still does this, but when I was a kid Sears had a lifetime warranty on all of their craftsman hand tools.

One day my friend and I were playing somewhere near a work/construction site and I found an abandonded old tool box that was filled with rusted sockets, broken sockets, buggered up rachets, etc.. It was so heavy that my friend and I had to back to my house and get my Radio Flyer red wagon to bring the toolbox home..

Later that night my dad and I sorted out all of the craftsman tools and brought them over to Sears where they exchanged them all for brand new ones..

-Adrian

pgmrdan
05-20-2005, 08:51 PM
They still have a lifetime warranty on their non-electric hand tools but now they saying some tools are not hand tools. They've reclassified some as 'precision' tools and some other such nonsense, i.e., weasel words.

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Can you still bring in a rusted socket set and get a new replacement set?

-Adrian

madman
05-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Sears usually dont have all the parts required to fix your power tool that needs fixing. They just say oops we dont have it availabe. In other words tuff **** piss off and leave us alone. You bought from Sears and SUCKS TO BE YOU EWE GOT YOUR MONEY AND YOU ARE THE LOSER. Im sure of this policy cause they frigged me around when i tried to rbuild my electric die grinder that lasted two hours maybe. When i went to get replacement parts. (grinder cost me$170.. plus) I was told oops not all parts available. More overpriced sears **** stay away from sears. They sukk.

Paul Gauthier
05-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Wow, and I thought I was the only paranoid guy here!!!!

------------------
Paul G.

CCWKen
05-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Geez "sukk", you sure use a lot of four-letter words to express yourself. Not only in this tread but also a few others.

If the die grinder lasted only two hours, why didn't you take it back? Even the electric tools have some warranty.

Smokedaddy
05-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Just tell them bogas information ... that's what I do ... income $500,000 etc.

-SD:

wierdscience
05-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Sears warranties should be printed on quilted northern brand toilet paper,that way they would be of some use to the comsumer and slightly less a pain in the a-- http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I remember a time when Sears sold a decent product at a decent price,those days are over.

I still do get wrenches warrantied there,I get them out of cars at the junkyard,pawn shops,garage sales and use then until they break.Every year I bring in a 5 gallon bucket to get swapped out,sadly the cheap Chiwan stuff I have is more durable.

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-21-2005, 12:41 AM
One thing I did buy from Sears recently was an 8-inch grinder.. I didn't really need it because I have 3 cheapo 8" HarborFreight grinders already but I figured one more can't hurt and I wanted a dedicated grinder for grinding tungstein electrodes.

Anyway, my Cheapo 8" Harborfrieght Grinder/Buffers spin up quickly, and have tons of power.. The craftsman takes forever to spin up! I couldn't believe it. The craftsman motor was gutless. I would have taken it back if I actually needed to use it for more than light tungstein grinding.

The craftsman had much better steady rests, but the motor was performance lacking.

-Adrian

gkman11
05-21-2005, 07:13 AM
Have had a lot of hand tools replaced under warrenty over the years - no questions asked. BUT the last time it was a simple retractable blade utility knife. Said they couldn't find the number, don't have one like it any more TUFF LUCK.

chief
05-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Sears at least makes an attempt,WAL-MART just plain says **** you even with your warranty paper.Always coming up with some excuse as to why it isn't covered.
I refuse to buy anything from wal-mart.

jfsmith
05-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Sears power tools have a 30 day or 30 feet from the door warranty. Been that way for years. Their famous rachets are a different story, take a broken one back, they give you one from the back room, which was rebuilt. It used to be that Sears Warrantied everything with the Sears name on it, from tools to houses, that hasn't been true for a long time.

The strange thing is that I live near a HF store and when something breaks, I take it back and they give me a new one off the shelf. No questions asked. This has included power tools.

Jerry