PDA

View Full Version : Buiulding a Rooling Block Rifle

jfsmith
05-29-2005, 11:31 AM
O.K. now we have gone thru all of the legal stuff, has anyone made a rolling block rifle and how heavy of a caliber was this rifle?

Jerry

ibewgypsie
05-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I converted a old rolling block springfield black powder rifle to 22. (can't remember 45caliber blackpowder??) Did this in the early eighties with the help of a machinist friend then. (on the goverment job) Extractor was a problem I never got right.

You used to be able to purchase them for less than $70. Not seen anymore in quite a while.

I have pictures somewhere. I'll look. None digital thou.

I always wanted to copy the falling block rifles. It seems with as many solidworks users here it'd be a simple task.

A brass block, heavily deep engraved is my want. Falling block. Simplicity. Old style pop up sight just for looks.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Yankee1
05-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Hello JF
I have an old one that Im working on when I feel like it. It .44 caliber.

JCHannum
05-30-2005, 08:03 AM
If you are referring to a rolling block action, Remington or clone, the large No. 1 action is good for low pressure rounds 30-30 or 45-70 as the largest. That is if the action is in good condition. Modern reproductions of good quality materials may be able to handle a little more, but it is basically a low pressure action.

Here is a link to a custom manufacturer.

http://www.lonestarrifle.com/?%20Now%20a%20three%20hour%20ride%20in%20a%20car%2 0ain

If you are referring to a falling block action, that can be en entirely different animal. The Mueller book has engineering calculations that allow sizing that action to the round.

A true falling block action can be designed to handle any pressure round available.

Tinker2
05-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Jfsmith

You want to make a Remmington type rolling block?

[This message has been edited by Tinker2 (edited 06-08-2005).]

jfsmith
05-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Tink,

Yes I want to try my hand at this.

Jerry

JCHannum
05-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Here's a source for plans. Keep us posted on your progress.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3990.html

Tinker2
05-30-2005, 03:29 PM
If I can help in some way let me know.

Have Fun
Be Safe

jfsmith
05-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Tinker2,

I have seen these before, plus I shoot T/C Contenders often.

Do you have plans for the receivers?

Jerry

clipperjim
05-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Frontier Armory, Frontier_Armory@gbronline.com has a number of single shot rifle action investment casting sets including RB's and other gun related stuff like buttplates, etc. Also, members of the Am. Single Shot Rifle Assn., www.assra.com (http://www.assra.com) can get several SS action drawings for about $10 each. Annual dues about $30. Always running a SS rifle project in the bimonthly Journal. Good outfit if you are interested in SS rifles.

Tinker2
05-30-2005, 09:29 PM
jfsmith

Lots of different types and brands of rolling blocks actions.
I have the book, Single Shot Rifles and Actions by Frank de Haas.
It shows quite a few types of rolling blocks. Some of the line drawings
are good enough to use to make something if you are not looking for
a precise duplicate. I have no blueprints or plans.

I also have de Haas’s book on making four single shot guns.
No rolling blocks but doable actions. The plans are not hard to
understand and make.

Good luck

jfsmith
05-30-2005, 11:20 PM
I have been a member of the SS Assoication in the past. I still do SS type of shooting.

Jerry

quasi
05-31-2005, 10:46 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
I converted a old rolling block springfield black powder rifle to 22. (can't remember 45caliber blackpowder??) Did this in the early eighties with the help of a machinist friend then. (on the goverment job) Extractor was a problem I never got right.

You used to be able to purchase them for less than $70. Not seen anymore in quite a while.

I have pictures somewhere. I'll look. None digital thou.

I always wanted to copy the falling block rifles. It seems with as many solidworks users here it'd be a simple task.

A brass block, heavily deep engraved is my want. Falling block. Simplicity. Old style pop up sight just for looks.

</font>

The rifle you are refering to is a trapdoor springfield, not a rolling block. Thy are mechanically very different.

Holycross
06-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Not a rolling block action, but an interesting Farquharson Kit gun to build.

http://www.actioncastings.us/

Found this a year ago through accuratereloading.com

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/624102631/r/419102931#419102931

I don’t have one but would like to build one some day.

Mark Holycross

sauer38h
06-01-2005, 02:37 AM
From scratch, or a rebarrel of a #5 action?

What's a 'heavy" caliber? Most of the big military rolling blocks were made for black powder loads, and .43, .45, .50, .58, etc. were common calibers. The last of the military models, the #5, was made in 7x57 Mauser, .30-40 Krag, .303, 7.62x54R, 8mm Lebel, and undoubtedly some others.

Gotta love that Buffalo Arms page. There were quite a few Remington rolling block rifles, made on three or four entirely different frames. For that kind of money they could maybe tell us which rifle they've dimensioned?

jfsmith
06-01-2005, 10:15 AM
I have used the 30-40 Krag in the past and do like it for an old cartridge. But I was thinking in the terms of a 300 Savage, short sweet, kind of similar to the current Russian 7.62 x 39 round.

Jerry

ibewgypsie
06-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Quasi:

Actually, more dead brain cells... it was a remington I kinda think. I am/was ashamed to admit it. My memory is kinda failing at times. I try to ignore it, but it kicks my butt to remind me. Seems the action came from Sarco as a black powder, no ffl needed action at or about $70.

Also, a english WW. Greener action was used to build something never finished. It was purchased out of a gun shop and I had to fill out a yellow form.

Just shows memories do change. I listen to a friend tell stories about me in my wilder days and they don't even sound familiar. Most times I think he exagerates. Nobody would live through all that crap.

I do the best I can, bear with me.

At any one time in my life, I am doing from ten to one hundred projects at a time. I have always liked to stay busy. I have a brass block with a octagonal barrel stuck in it here in the corner. Miss drilled (rifling goes at a angle, purchased from Numrich arms (Gunparts) and incompleted. I am going to make a wall-hanger I think.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-01-2005).]

JCHannum
06-01-2005, 10:58 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by quasi:
The rifle you are refering to is a trapdoor springfield, not a rolling block. Thy are mechanically very different.</font>

The rolling block was made by several manufacturers.

Springfield Armory produced the Model 1870 Navy and the Model 1871 Army. These were conversions of muzzle loaders. It is not known if the actions were made by Springfield or Remington, but they bore the Springfield stamp. Also there was a New York State contract rolling block manufactured by the Springield Armory.

The rolling block was also made by Whitney. They were manufactured in Denmark, Spain, Norway, Argentina, Egypt, Belgium and probably other locations as well.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 06-01-2005).]