PDA

View Full Version : You missed a great auction!

mikem
09-16-2002, 03:19 PM
Went to an auction yesterday in a small town in central Nebraska and had the most fun that I have had in a long time. Some well-to-do guy donated his collection of tools to a charity and they were selling them. Six lathes(Clausing 12/36 $1100, atlas $400, Jet $450) and several mills(Diamond $650, Enco mill/drill $450.) He had lots of stuff that he never even opened or used. Skilsaws, drills, jigsaws, you name it, he had several. It took two days to sell and they ran two lines at a time. The auctioneers didn't know what they were selling most of the time--sometimes that was good and sometimes bad for the bidders. There was a flatbed of aluminum drop-offs that sold for 25 to $40 a pile. Table saws and shapers and antique woodworking stuff. I just spent every dime that I could raise on my outside workshop so I couldn't buy much. It was fun to watch the faces of the bidders--I assume guys like me that love this hobby. I felt like I was among friends even though I didn't know a soul. You can tell alot about a guy by the stuff he has to sell at his auction and I think that I really would like this guy!

Thanks for letting me vent my excitement--Mike.

Dick
09-17-2002, 12:32 AM
It's going to kill me to find out, but did you happen to catch what that bright yellow Vernon shaper went for?

I had been eyeballing that for the last several weeks from the online ad photos. I desperately wanted to go and bid on it, but my wife's baby shower took precedence.

Please tell me some fool bid it up to an astronomical price so I don't feel bad for not making it to Aurora!

mikem
09-17-2002, 01:45 PM
It is surprising to find another Nebrakan among the many far away machininsts from across the world! I saw the shaper but didn't see it sell--they had two lines selling and I watched the wworking tools sell at the time. I saw an Atlas horizontal mill bring $650. I bet that the shaper didn't bring that much. What fun it was! I didn't stay the whole time myself because I promised to fix something for my wife.

Ragarsed Raglan
09-17-2002, 01:48 PM
mikem,

I really enjoy auctions, they're the best free entertainment you can get this side of being a Montreal night club bouncer (just so long as you don't get tempted to buy anything of course)!

I find that the prices vary region to region, and are also dependent on time of year as well. There's nothing better than a miserable winters day when a low turn out can mean some real bargains can be had. I've seen crazy prices paid for things like a mint condition CNC Cincinnati machining centre - 5 years old went for £250 + commision and tax (£325 total or $470 USD); through to a Eclipse demagnetizer, which looked to be in less than a working condition, which went for £45 + Commission + Tax = £58 ($84 USD), this when a new one can be had on discount for about £85 ($123 USD)

When the home shop guys are present there is usually spirited bidding for the smaller lathes and millers, but then the dealers are eager to get hold of this stuff as well! I find that the small industrial equipment (meaning the machinery considered too large for home consumption) is where the best bargains to be had are. A lot of this equipment is targetted by 'third world' buyers; I bought a Thiel 159 universal miller for use at work a couple of years back and was offered a profit of 500% on it the following day (when we went to load her up) by an Asian guy who had not seen it in the sale (it had been a late entry into the auction).

It's an interesting post script that the Asians are buying the old quality machinery we're selling off to make the new stuff we can buy from the local J&L, Enco, etc,.

RR