PDA

View Full Version : D.C. inverter what the!

Samuel
09-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Hello
I am building a new metal working machine and I need a 3/4 HP motor with a 56c frame and all of the ones that I can find are either outrageously priced or are 3phase or dc... that said how do you convert single phase to DC or is this even a decent Idea. thnks
Samuel

Rotate
09-12-2002, 07:35 PM
You can't convert AC induction motor so that it works with DC (actually you can but that's what VFD does). There's no winding on the rotor, so it's a bit of a problem.

I would go with a DC motor. Check this out.

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=18&category=174

This is a true 2HP motor with lots of torque at low end. For $50 brand new, you can't go wrong. I've been thinking of replacing my single phase motor with this. RPM control is also much easier with DC.

Albert

SGW
09-12-2002, 08:55 PM
You'd need a full wave rectifier to convert AC to DC. A filter to smooth out the ripple probably wouldn't hurt, either. In the size you'd need, I would guess it would not be cheap.

If there is a motor rebuilding shop anywhere near you, go see what they may have for used motors. You might get a pretty good deal, depending on how overloaded the place is with used motors.

Kirby
09-12-2002, 09:18 PM
I have a motor that may be what you are looking for, email sent.

PMSKnives
09-17-2002, 06:53 PM
Best way to go is to get a VFD and a 3 phase motor. The VFD (variable frequency drive) will convert 220VAC to 3 phase for the motor and give you infinite speed control. I have a 2hp unit that I use on my knife grinder soley....I also have a 1hp DC disc grinder.

Do a google search for DEALERS ELECTRIC...They usually have great package deals/they are great people to deal with.

Good Luck
Mark