PDA

View Full Version : bbssystem.com is down for a little while.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-10-2005, 02:33 PM
BTW, if anyone is trying to get on bbssystem.com, it will be down for a little while. I updated the kernel and a ton of packages but I couldn't remotely reboot it successfully so I have to wait for a monkey to physically power cycle it for me. I have no idea where I am in the "queue", so... It could be anytime now, or up to 24 hours.

-Adrian

tattoomike68
06-10-2005, 02:56 PM
I was wondering, linux is usuly solid as a rock.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Nope, I goofed. I switched to runlevel 0 from root so I could reboot the new kernel I installed, but that killed the xinetd (along with my ssh connection) so networking is down and it's probably waiting for input from the console (it's a headless rackmount server) so I put a request in for a monkey to walk over and press the reset button. I wasn't thinking.

I forwarded the bbssystem.com domain to this thread so hopefully that will help a little while we wait http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Adrian

BillH
06-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Did you do a Chkconfig --list to see what run level does what? Hmm, maybe thats just a fedora command. A Pretty handy one though!

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
Did you do a Chkconfig --list to see what run level does what? Hmm, maybe thats just a fedora command. A Pretty handy one though!</font>

I added an rc script for runlevel 0 to swap kernels and reboot after all of the halt scrips ran. I just forgot that I wasn't sitting on the console like I normally am so I wedged myself. It happens... once or twice http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

-Adrian

mattc
06-10-2005, 07:07 PM
I take it that telnetchat is on the server also since it seams to be down also

Matt in AK

Tuckerfan
06-10-2005, 07:14 PM
So 3 phase, how/when do you want me to get that giant file to ya?

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Yup, the chat server is down too.

Tuckerfan, Do you have a single archive of all of the files? I can either setup an FTP site for you to upload it, or I can download it from an FTP server, or if the website is still up, I can just crawl everything off it. If you want to get fancy, I can setup a Samba server/NFS server and you can tunnel in and mount one of my exports. Whatever is easier for you -- just let me know.

-Adrian

Tuckerfan
06-10-2005, 07:50 PM
I've got a single zip file of the whole mess, but I've no idea of how to do FTP. I managed to find the site where it was originally hosted, but the guy's pulled the files down.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-10-2005, 07:59 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tuckerfan:
I've got a single zip file of the whole mess, but I've no idea of how to do FTP. I managed to find the site where it was originally hosted, but the guy's pulled the files down.</font>

How big is the .ZIP? If you can manage to email it, just email it to:

adrian@gnuxtools.c0m (Replace the ZERO with an 'o' in .c0m)

-Adrian

Tuckerfan
06-10-2005, 08:19 PM
It's about 1 gig. I'll give it a shot emailing it to you in a bit.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-10-2005, 08:22 PM
I think i have a 100mb limit set so wait a minute and let me change that.

dp
06-10-2005, 08:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:

BTW, if anyone is trying to get on bbssystem.com, it will be down for a little while. I updated the kernel and a ton of packages but I couldn't remotely reboot it successfully so I have to wait for a monkey to physically power cycle it for me. I have no idea where I am in the "queue", so... It could be anytime now, or up to 24 hours.

-Adrian</font>

If you ever need a mirror let me know - all my systems are Sun Sparc but php and mysql support are in place. I already host about 90 domains so one more emergency backup won't hurt. About the telnetchat tool - had you looked at phpchat? I have several instances running and it's pretty much painless. Islandmele.com is one such but you have to like Hawaiian music a lot :-)

dp

Tuckerfan
06-10-2005, 10:03 PM
I think it's on the way. I couldn't send it using my regular mail client, so I'm trying to send it via gmail's webmail, but I'm not sure if it's going or not. It says it's sending it, but it also said that the document contains no data.

jfsmith
06-10-2005, 10:10 PM
dp,

Your a man after my own heart, you have real computers.

Jerry

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-10-2005, 10:21 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dp:
If you ever need a mirror let me know - all my systems are Sun Sparc but php and mysql support are in place. I already host about 90 domains so one more emergency backup won't hurt. About the telnetchat tool - had you looked at phpchat? I have several instances running and it's pretty much painless. Islandmele.com is one such but you have to like Hawaiian music a lot :-)

dp</font>

The system should be back up..

Thanks. I have a mirror but It wasn't up to date for over 1 year so that wouldn't have helped very much http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

The telnet://www.telnetchat.com server is my own chat server. It's a posix app runs great in solaris, linux, freebsd, etc.

I do all my development on sparc/solaris.

-Adrian

Tuckerfan
06-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Has it shown up yet?

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-11-2005, 01:02 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tuckerfan:
Has it shown up yet?</font>

I sent you Email..

-Adrian

dp
06-11-2005, 01:05 AM
I used to run a telnet chat on my old OS/2 BBS. It was pretty cool, actually. It lacked what terminal oriented tools lack. Everyone wants glitz :-) I did one with Java that had a graphics whiteboard and it turned into just what you'd expect: testerone infested teens posting their package for the world to see. I wonder when we outgrow that...

I see you're back up, so good on ya. That's a worry I have, too. My colo doesn't offer console connections except when asked so I'm migrating to one that does. It's about $50/month more but I do like the peace of mind that comes with it. My nightmare is to lose the system on Friday eve at 5:01 and not being able to get it off the OK prompt until Monday at 8:01. Knock on wood...

dp

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-11-2005, 01:16 AM
I used to run a telnet chat on my old OS/2 BBS. It was pretty cool, actually. It lacked what terminal oriented tools lack. Everyone wants glitz :-) I did one with Java that had a graphics whiteboard and it turned into just what you'd expect: testerone infested teens posting their package for the world to see. I wonder when we outgrow that...

I see you're back up, so good on ya. That's a worry I have, too. My colo doesn't offer console connections except when asked so I'm migrating to one that does. It's about $50/month more but I do like the peace of mind that comes with it. My nightmare is to lose the system on Friday eve at 5:01 and not being able to get it off the OK prompt until Monday at 8:01. Knock on wood...

dp</font>

Just go into OBP and set the autoboot flag to true, and make sure "disk" is setup with the correct device alias for your boot disk. I actually have a custom OBP on my Sparc boxes, but my sun machines are local anyway.

-Adrian

Evan
06-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Adrian,

Have you considered putting a watchdog timer card in your server?

http://www.pcwatchdog.com/

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-11-2005, 02:21 AM
I'd prefer the ability to remote power-cycle the server with another system (or via the phone with a special touch-tone code) but that's not available.

Watchdog units are nice, but in my situation, the watchdog driver would not have known the system needed to be reset because there was nothing wrong with the system. I just did something stupid (unloaded the networking stack while I was using it).

-Adrian

Evan
06-11-2005, 02:54 AM
So add a daemon to your server that doesn't reset the watchdog once per hour/minute/second/whatever if no traffic is handled. That is trivial to do with my web or mail servers. Every time any traffic is handled the daemon resets the watchdog. Worst case scenario in a quiet spell is the server resets. Oh dear.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 06-11-2005).]

Wirecutter
06-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Wow. I had no idea I was in the presence of so many other computer nerds. This is great - another resource for knowledge has been found.

-Mark

dp
06-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Just go into OBP and set the autoboot flag to true, and make sure "disk" is setup with the correct device alias for your boot disk. I actually have a custom OBP on my Sparc boxes, but my sun machines are local anyway.

-Adrian</font>

Yep - have all that. The problem comes when a disk in inconsistent and needs additional attention during boot i.e., manual fsck. It sits there at the "Press ctrl-D to continue or enter root password" prompt. I bought a Remote Access terminal server to deal with it but the colo wants as much to rack it as it does an entire server. My next idea was to cross-couple the LOM ports on two servers so one could service the other, but they're racked as far apart as two systems can be in a data center. Can't complain too much as I pay only $100/month for OC8 and a 24/7 on-site "monkey".

I needed a watchdog hardware reset for my old OS/2 server (the Sparc server has it built in) so made one that was serviced from the unused printer port. It had a relay and a 555 timer. If the timer didn't get a reset sig from the printer port every 240 seconds it would reset the MB. That was an 8-line dialup bbs with an internet feed as well, running with a 40 mhz 486 cpu. Paid $500 for a one-gig full-height diskdrive. Thought I'd never fill it :-) Jeez, now I have two rack mount Compaq array chassis with eight trays and two stand-alone arrays. I'm thinking of dumping it all and getting a terabyte firewire drive (and doubling my storage!). I could pay for it just by my reduced power bill.

And you guys think home machining is a form of madness!! :-) My wife started worrying when I bought a second telco rack for the basement datacenter.

dp

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-11-2005, 03:44 PM
And you guys think home machining is a form of madness!! :-) My wife started worrying when I bought a second telco rack for the basement datacenter.

dp</font>

I just took a walk around my house with the camera and took a few pictures of some of the computers that are lying around. I lost count a long time ago how many I have http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

http://www.bbssystem.com/computers/index.html

-Adrian

Alistair Hosie
06-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Adrian could you email me on ahos5@aol.com I screwed up with registration I think I mistyped my email address could you fix it for me so I can register or something has happened it does not recognise all my details I will send them to you privately if you wish Alistair

C - ROSS
06-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Whoa!! Wait until my wife sees that one. She thinks that my 7 are too many.
Ross

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-11-2005, 04:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
Adrian could you email me on ahos5@aol.com I screwed up with registration I think I mistyped my email address could you fix it for me so I can register or something has happened it does not recognise all my details I will send them to you privately if you wish Alistair</font>

I fixed your Email address and enabled your account. Try it now.

-Adrian

nheng
06-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Adrian, From the looks of those rooms, I'll bet you're not married http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

My wife gave me the title of "notebook king" several years back (only because she hadn't counted the other machines and pieces). When I finally woke up to how much I spent over the last 20+ years of computing, I realized it was time to turn my attention to ... machine tools http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

TRS80 was my first personally owned computer. Wrote a quicky driver for an old Diablo impact wheel type printer and the output of that things was the cat's ass ... in its time. Work machines then were old Intel development systems, followed by S-100, Intel SBC based boxes and then lots of little CPM machines.

Den

Evan
06-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Heh.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/comp.htm

The PET still works. Someday the eproms will lose their mind, most probably the ones I programmed will go first.

This doesn't count all the ones in boxes or the seven I have at my office.

The C-128 (keyboard in picture) still runs my seismograph. The Amigas are put away...

Oh yeah, I forgot the laptops.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 06-11-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-11-2005, 04:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nheng:
Adrian, From the looks of those rooms, I'll bet you're not married http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
</font>

Oh I'm married, but it's not as bad as it looks because our house is so big. Plus my wife has her own rooms and her stuff around too. Like her new motorcycle she bought this winter sat in one our living rooms until spring: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

http://www.gnuxtools.com/house/ninja.jpg

-Adrian

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-11-2005, 04:54 PM
TRS80 was my first personally owned computer. Wrote a quicky driver for an old Diablo impact wheel type printer and the output of that things was the cat's ass ... in its time. Work machines then were old Intel development systems, followed by S-100, Intel SBC based boxes and then lots of little CPM machines.

Den</font>

The TRS80 was a good machine. I have a TRS80 Model 3, Three portable TRS80 Model 100 units and two portable Model 102 units. I have several Tandy 128K COCO 3s, and several Tando 64K COCO 2s and I think one original COCO but I'm not sure it survived.

Unfortunatly I threw away all of my S-100 based CPM machines, and all of my Intel Multibus chassis and cards the last time I moved. I had a ton of Multibus equipment.

I've got boxes full of newer CompactPCI, PMC, and PC104 SBCs. Tons of small single board computers (ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, SH4, etc, etc.).

-Adrian

Evan
06-11-2005, 06:08 PM
I have the NEC PC-8201 which is virtually identical to the Tandy 100. Both machines were actually made by Kyocera. It is the only computer on which I have never had to push the reset button.

C - ROSS
06-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Oops Didn't count the TRS 80's, TI's, Osborn, the Sinclair or the 286 and 386 boxes. They arn't up and running just now.

Ross

tattoomike68
06-11-2005, 07:02 PM
my first computer was a commadore vic-20, 4K of RAM with a casset tape for storage.

I split and stacked 5 cords of firewook to get money to buy a $125 64k memory card. LOL

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-11-2005, 07:03 PM
I took my TRS-80 model 100 and model 102 portables out to play. The Model 102 is much slimmer and has more memory.

http://www.bbssystem.com/computers/trs80/index.html http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Adrian

BillH
06-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Ah a big version of my Ti89 calculator.
I think my 89 has a 68k processor.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-11-2005, 07:08 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tattoomike68:
my first computer was a commadore vic-20, 4K of RAM with a casset tape for storage.

I split and stacked 5 cords of firewook to get money to buy a $125 64k memory card. LOL</font>

I have a Vic-20 with casset player, and a bunch of cassets, along with a bunch of carts in my living room http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif Don't make me pull it out and create another Album http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Adrian

nheng
06-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Do any of you recall the "Fergusen" "Big Board" CPM machine? I've still got one in the closet with a pair of very slim NEC 8" quad density diskette drives. I paid a small mint for those darned drives. The Big Board was Z80 based with a whopping 64k DRAM on board. You pretty much had to write your own BIOS modifications for the oddball drives. Den

Evan
06-12-2005, 01:59 AM
Yep, still boots up. Heh. Memory lane.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/cbm1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 06-12-2005).]

bobbybeef
06-12-2005, 02:23 AM
you guys frighten me to near death with all this computer talk.
My 1985 model APPLE 2C lies packed in perfect working order in the farm shed. It worked real well for a number of years and helped me do my first internet business. CALM Computer Aided Livestock Marketing. We would enter the cattle we had for sale and the stock agent would send someone out to weigh and tail tag the animals. The data was then entered in the for sale list. On friday afternoons the auction took place . this was followed by the transport auction for the truckies. At the end of friday you knew who had bought your cattle,how much paid,when it would be in the bank and who and when the stock would be collected. You also knew to which abatoir the animals were destined and you could follow up to get carcase details after slaughter. you kept records on 5 1/2 inch floppies.
We update every three or so years. Except for that APPLE all the rest have been passed on to grandchildren. current work is done on HP Pavilion t240a with multi capable print/scan/copy/fax. still on dial up. Broadband sellers are still in dreamland on monthly prices.
3 phase this was a good thread to show us how good it is to be ignorant of what happens beyond the keyboard.
Regards,
Bobby.

Wirecutter
06-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Do any of you recall the "Fergusen" "Big Board" CPM machine? I've still got one in the closet with a pair of very slim NEC 8" quad density diskette drives. I paid a small mint for those darned drives. The Big Board was Z80 based with a whopping 64k DRAM on board. You pretty much had to write your own BIOS modifications for the oddball drives. Den</font>

Good Heavens. What really frightens me is that I recognize every one of these machines. I've even got one of the same HP/Agilent JTAG processor probes that 3Phase has. I recognize Evan's Commodore Pet (with the old style "chicklet" keyboard), and yes, nheng, I also remember the Ferguson "Big Board". They used to advertise every month in Byte magazine. Isn't that the one that mounts on the top of an 8" floppy drive?

Yeah, back then, it was either Apple or CPM, for the most part. The "all in one" Z80/64K/CPM single boards were really starting to pop up all over the place. The Apple III, at some $6K, just wasn't taking off. And later, don't forget the amazing $10K Apple Lisa, the mother of the MacIntosh. Ohio Scientific was on the back cover of Byte magazine every month with their Challenger series stuff, which was a strange triple processor arrangement. (I think it was 6800, 8080, and 6502) Then Bill Gates hatched his diabolical plan with CPM-86, nay PC-DOS 1.0, and it was all over.

My first computer was a KIM-1, back in '77. (It came out in '75 for $245, so in '77 it had gone down to $169) (The KIM-1, of course, was the mother of the Apple ][ and the Pet.) I think I delivered papers to buy the KIM. I tossed it in a dumpster in '93 when I was moving (who would want this old thing?), then in 2000, I saw one in the same (excellent) condition sell on eBay for $1600. Doh!

If I had what you have, 3phase, I'd have most of it, or at least the duplicates, up on eBay "collectable computers". Then I'd buy that fancy Miller Tig machine you have.

Ah, memories. Nowadays, the oldest computer in the house is also one of sentemental value - it's a 6502-based thing running Forth that I wire-wrapped up from scratch during my stoned high school days. Other than that, the oldest is a 386 or 486 machine I used to have answer the phone. SWMBO wouldn't let me get away with too much stuff - the unofficial rule is that if it hasn't had to be powered up in 2-3 years, it should probably find another home. Which reminds me - it's time to go "plug myself in" for the renewal. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

nheng
06-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Wirecutter:
Yep, that's the board. It came with full schematics and source code for the BIOS. I added a high density Western Digital controller that piggy-backed the original WD controller. I was also fortunate to find several high end green OEM video monitors at the time, from medical apps. One was 4" x 9" and while the text was squished, it was sharp as a tack.

I can recall almost wetting my pants the first time I saw a new S-100 system with a little purple ship in the center of the screen shooting out green pixels (early Asteroids??). It was just incredible to watch such a high level of technology. I think it was around 1977-ish.

3-phase:
Do you recall what the S-100 systems were running besides CPM? My memory is fading on this ... gotta make room for new stuff http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Oh yeah, then there was the Otrona, a sweet little self contained machine with dual 5-1/4" drives and 5" mono green screen. I was stupid enough to order the 8086 MSDOS "upgrade" which allowed the base Z80 machine (which was near perfect) to switch to the 8086.

Believe it or not, Western Union did the extensive upgrade. The ultimate hack job with HUNDREDS of kynar jumper wires and cuts everywhere to intercept buses, etc. After much correspondence with ALL parties involved, never got satisfaction. A major lesson learned.

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 06-12-2005).]

Milacron of PM
06-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Since we're throwing out interesting computer history tidbits, Ed Roberts started Altair, and considered by many the "Father of the PC", now lives in a small town in Georgia and has an Emco Maximat 11 with mill head, I delivered to him about 4 years ago http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Paul Allen and Bill Gates wrote the software for the Altair, so Gates worked for Ed at Altair for awhile before Microsoft was forumed.

Wirecutter
06-12-2005, 04:56 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D. Thomas:
Since we're throwing out interesting computer history tidbits, Ed Roberts started Altair, and considered by many the "Father of the PC", now lives in a small town in Georgia and has an Emco Maximat 11 with mill head, I delivered to him about 4 years ago http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
</font>

Wow, what a save!!! You've actually managed to bend the thread back to on-topic, at least for this board.

On another note, I thought it was interesting that a South Bend 9 showed up on eBay last month. It was reportedly from the estate of Steve McQueen.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-12-2005, 05:38 PM
I just got back from the Cape.. The wife and I drove down last night. We were sailing all day. Summer is definitely here now.

Wirecutter, what targets does your HP/Agilent JTAG probe support?

nheng, I never ran CP/M on my S100 based system. All my S100 based systems were custom embedded systems.

-Adrian

Milacron of PM
06-12-2005, 06:02 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">On another note, I thought it was interesting that a South Bend 9 showed up on eBay last month. It was reportedly from the estate of Steve McQueen.</font>

Well, I can't top that, but I did buy the small woodworking shop from the Audbrass Plantation owned by movie producer Joel Silver (Lethal Weapon, The Matrix, etc), last summer. Haven't sold the Felder machines yet but I sold the Inca 12 inch table saw on eBay and put a blurb about the Silver ownership and I'm pretty sure it increased the bidding by about $1.50 or so http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

BillH
06-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Hmm maybe I can beat you all, in elementry school, Meatloaf directed our class play, and I got to ride in his car with him driving it, and went to school with his daughter.

Milacron of PM
06-12-2005, 07:06 PM
C'on now Bill, got to have a "machine" connection somehow...did he work on the car while singing "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" ??

BillH
06-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Sigh.. No machining connection.

meho
06-12-2005, 10:00 PM
I've still got my old Tandy 1100 FD. 640KB ram, no hard drive and 720K floppy. 10MHZ processor. Useless. My wife used the spell checker to write papers in college.

Bought it in a bar for $100 many, many years ago.

My first comp was a Commodore Vic 20, long gone.

I haven't built a computer in so long that I just found out that now you can boot from a cd without loading the mscdex file on the hard drive first.

James

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Here is an oldie but a goodie...

Remember those first "portables"? Or luggables as we used to call them:

Here is my Fivestar Portable XT. It's got (2) 360K floppy disks (no hard disk). It's running an 8088 processor at 4.77mhz, and 640k DRAMs. 8-bit ISA bus, etc. It's actually a clone of the Compaq portable
XT except it was a lot cheaper and the drives are mounted horz instead of vert..

http://www.bbssystem.com/computers/8088/index.html

-Adrian

nheng
06-12-2005, 11:00 PM
I'll have to post a sweet little picture of the Otrona tomorrow (although it has been gone for many years). It was the tiniest of the "luggables" and had (hold your breath here) ... graphics http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

This thread reminded me of an old CoCo in another closet. I'll have to give it CPR and see how it works (probably need to disassemble the keypad and clean it).

Wirecutter
06-13-2005, 12:10 AM
I just got back from the Cape.. The wife and I drove down last night. We were sailing all day. Summer is definitely here now.

Wirecutter, what targets does your HP/Agilent JTAG probe support? </font>

Well! I suppose sailing off the Cape beats the snot out of hanging out with this motley bunch. Sounds like a nice time with SWMBO.

The Agilent supports the 486, as I recall. I'm travelling on business right now, so it's not in front of me and I can't tell you the model number. I picked it up cheap with some other stuff, but I've never had the software to drive it. I do still have some cables around here, but I don't have a processor pod or anything. I used to use these (with different driver firmware, of course) on PowerPC 603 and 750 stuff. Very cool.
On a related note, I like the way it's packaged, and if I can't get it into a useful state as is, I may scavenge it for the box.

Finally, you must have some house to be able to accomodate all your (and your wife's) stuff. Envy, envy.

-Mark

[This message has been edited by Wirecutter (edited 06-13-2005).]

Cripes! Wrong, wrong, wrong. There's something slightly different about this model emulator, and it doesn't support the PPC. It's a close relative, though. It's all coming back now... I think this is the one that supports some vintage-1997 Intel stuff, like the 486, maybe some ARM and MIPS, too. But not PPC.

-M

[This message has been edited by Wirecutter (edited 06-13-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Wirecutter,

One of the problems with debugging early 386 and 486 processors was the fact that they didn't have a built in BDM (Background Debug Mode) support. Starting with the Pentium, Intel finally put in BDM. Most processors these days have BDM (Almost all PowerPC, MIPS, ARM, SuperH, etc.) With BDM, you can control the execution unit, cache unit, ALU, etc. And of course, the really nice thing about a processor that has build in BDM, is you don't need to emulate it with a very expensive bondout/full blown in-circuit emulator. I still have an Intel 386 In-Ciruit Emulator (aka the hotplate) that still works. I haven't used it years, but they were worth more than their weight in gold back in the day.

If your unit is for the 486, then you'll also need the 486 POD which will have a real Intel 486 bondout processor. If you want to find out more, you can still get/download the manuals online from Agilent's website for the older HP equipment.

I have a bunch of HP/Agilent 586 probes that only work on Intel debug motherboards that bring out the JTAG signals onto a little Mictor connector.

-Adrian

Evan
06-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Did anyone ever play the game Dambusters on the Commodore PET or 64? I wrote it. It was distributed by Commodore on one of their educational series discs.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 06-13-2005).]