PDA

View Full Version : New Truck Again

madman
06-11-2005, 12:23 PM
I made a mistake.(Imagine That) The truck i was looking at is a1984. Yeah old but in very nice shape. Propane dual fuel. (.47 cents a litre compared to .89 for gas.) It has headers abd a msd system. I know it has no air conditioner freon in it and thought of a conversion. One mechanic i spoke to said it couldnt be converted. I think it can or ill put propane in it. Low budget operation thats why im looking at a 1984 not a 1994. Thanx

Carl
06-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Propane in the air conditioner? I guess it will be easy to find leaks, just light a match. Hope you're not smoking a cigar next time you get in a wreck. Maybe you could paint the entire truck like a big NO SMOKING sign.

jim davies
06-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Make it about 80% propane and the rest Butane. These percentages strictly from memory...but converting R-12 to -134A is no problem now that they have an oil that solves the compatability problem. Ask a jobber...

junkin duck
06-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Just go to the Wal mart and pick up a $35.00 R-134a conversion kit. I have done several older cars and trucks with no ill effect. My work car AC went out 6 yrs ago during its life as my wifes good car and I converted it. I have topped it off once in 6 years and it still cools just as good as it ever did. Propane is not used because it is dangerous in the event of an accident. Please don't put rescue workers at risk by using a combustable gas/liquid.

Your Old Dog
06-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Make sure, if you're going camping and you have a wreck that you have no propane lanterns on board. Don't buy any Coleman fuel either till you get in the woods. Zero risk is a worthy goal. Hell, take lunch meat and you won't even need a campfire.

If it passes your state inspection I'd say go for it. With the Nanny Attitude that most states have these days they wouldn't let anything happen to you. Don't forget to buckle up, put on a helmet, stay off the cell, lights on for safety etc.........

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 06-11-2005).]

Carl
06-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Hey, he can do what ever he wants, the Darwin awards are always needing new contestants. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't propane a flammable liquid that flashes to a gas at ambient pressure and temperature and would flash even faster after it has been run through a compressor. I just hope I'm not in the other vehicle he hits. Wouldn't want to be his insurance man either.

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 06-11-2005).]

C - ROSS
06-11-2005, 06:47 PM
A BOMB on wheels. Let me know what way he is going, I'll go the other way.

Ross

BillH
06-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Propane works as an AC coolant?

madman
06-12-2005, 06:52 PM
I havent done nthe propane yet but nthere are quite a few driving on the streats today. Propane works well.

ibewgypsie
06-12-2005, 07:29 PM
I've made a deal for a old flatbed too. A 85 chevy dually-flatbed. Trading my old shop truck for it sight unseen. The Chevy truck list prices for a lot more than the ford.
It too has a propane system installed. I wonder where all these have came from? Utility companies?

David

Carl
06-12-2005, 09:01 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A BOMB on wheels. Let me know what way he is going, I'll go the other way.</font>

http://www.learnersonline.com/weekly/lessons04/week4/012604-2.jpg

RobertLC
06-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Sounds like a 1984 PINTO in the making! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

[This message has been edited by RobertLC (edited 06-12-2005).]

madman
06-13-2005, 09:46 AM
I had too laugh. A very good mechanic came with me to take the propane powered truck for a test ride. Later on i noticed he ran his truck on propane also. At .46 cents a litre its half the price of gas. I asked what he used in his air conditioning system and he said propane. He mentioned he might remove it someday though. I dont understand everyones paranoid delusions of propane usage. If you think a couple of pounds in the air conditioning is akin to a nuclear bomb just think of the hundreds of thousands of vehicles driving around with a hundred litres or more in the fuel tanks under there vehicles. Maybe now you will pay more attention driving. You could run into someone while daydreaming and blow up real good.

ibewgypsie
06-13-2005, 10:11 AM
I kinda took it in the "@@@" with the trade I did, I hope you do better.

Rust to repair, dents, engine troubles. I made the deal sight unseen on a friends word. Ohh well.. it's just money, right?

It is a 12' bed 1 ton.. I kinda was wanting a 8 foot dump bed, easier to cut them down then add to them thou. Kinda tempted to go ahead and build a ramp truck with this one. I move more antique cars than machines anyways.

MickeyD
06-13-2005, 09:08 PM
I used to hunt with an old boy for years who filled his tires with propane whenever one went down away from compressed air. Never seemed to hurt anything and he said that he always warned them at the tire place. I did always wonder what would happen when a big nail went through the steel belts. Last time that I talked to him he was alive and happy with no mention of a really big blowout. Guess that it is not really much different than the old WD-40 that used propane (a big wasp nest, WD-40 and a lighter always made a fun Saturday morning).

CCWKen
06-13-2005, 09:53 PM
It's like any risk a fool is willing to take. Some rob banks, some weld without goggles and some put propane in AC systems.

The charge will be closer to 3lbs. in that system--at about 250psi on the high side (in 80 degree weather). Three pounds is enough to level a two story house. But hey, what do I care. You're far enough away from me that I wouldn't see the mushroom cloud. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

madman
06-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Gee you guys are starting to scare me. I wonder if that 100 litre tank under the rear bumper would explode in a rear end collision. I remember a ralph nader guy saying pintos would blow up if rear ended. Well to make a long story short im going to retrofit my air conditioning with 134a if it can nbe done on a 1984 ford. Thanx for the replies. By the way im using the truck to haul a 1000 pounds at a time of CIL Stumpex 60..40 and 70. .30. Its my new blasting truck. Take care. Madman

Carl
06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Propane in the AC of a blasting truck...well at least you live up to your name (at least for now)...MADMAN