PDA

View Full Version : Just curious about Sheet Metal equipment

alumtuna
09-21-2002, 11:19 PM
Hello All,

Thanks for all the replys before and its great having this forum to call on.

I was just curious about your sheet metal equipment that you may all have to add to your machining equipment. The reason i ask is im a long time bargain hunter (no suprise) and would like to add some bargain sheet metal tools to my collection. I would like to add more than the 2x4 to bend sheet metal. I do some fabricating to .125 " in aluminum, auto work and eventually to do some enclosures or more precise work. Also maybe some shapping. What do you suggest?

abn
09-22-2002, 01:43 AM
I don't really have enough experience to help you...but I recently joined www.metalshapers.org (http://www.metalshapers.org) which is more sheetmetal oriented. I recently met up with some of the guys in Los Angeles for a "Toolfest"...we made some simple T-dollys from scrap (free as opposed to ~$125 retail) and some wooden slappers...great event.

There are some nice galleries of home built and purchased equipment on the site.

SGW
09-22-2002, 08:17 AM
There are plans to build sheetmetal rollers and brakes. Dave Gingery has some plans (see Lindsay Publications catalog). There have also been plans in Model Engineer. George Thomas designed a really nice roller, which is described in his "Model Engineer's Workshop Handbook," or some such title. You ought to be able to get it from TEE Publishing, in England, if you can't find a U.S. distributor. With the magic of credit cards, buying from England is not a big deal.

Thrud
09-22-2002, 12:25 PM
alumtuna:
A plasma cutter is nice. Mig is great for welding sheet metal such as cars. for enclosures if you could expand further as to this and the precision sheet metal aspect I can help there.