PDA

View Full Version : Interesting weekend



John Stevenson
06-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Not so much a busy weekend as an interesting one.

Probably like a lot of people on these lists I get a lot of email off list especially from newbies who don't want to post simple things and be made to look an idiot.

First thing I tell them is we all started somewhere and there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.
Anyway a lot of these queries are general but it's obvious that the person concerned is capable of reading a book but has never seen the actual process they are interested in being done in the flesh.

To many coming from a different trade it's hard to adapt.
Some have tried College classes and scored but some have still been either intimidated or just been out of their depth.

So on Saturday afternoon by previous arrangements I had two guys come round to have a hands on lesson.
Basic settling in tour to see what they knew and then into screwcutting which both wanted to do.

Both could screwcut but with not acceptable results [ their words] so first off no normal lesson but I got them to do a simple thread from a complete dead start.
Had to help a bit as they were not familiar with the lathe being used, ratio's levers etc.

Names changed to protect the innocent http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

First guy Bill, did his, I didn't comment and asked the second guy Fred, not to, then the second guy did his.
Then I got Fred to comment on Bills work and visa versa.
Half the problems over come in one stroke.
Thrashed the various points out, still no input from me and got Bill to do a second thread with Fred teaching him and it was a lot better.
Then Fred did one with Bill teaching him and it was better still which proves you do learn by seeing.

Then I did a thread with the two watching and we had another chat about it.
This time Fred went first with Bill teaching him what he had seen off me.
Then Bill did his.
Another chat about how to improve and they did another thread each and both were passable.

Broke off for a coffee and another chat and I asked them their opinions on what they had learnt. They came out with all textbook answers and procedure but what they hadn't realised at this point was I had told them nothing at all.
They had watched me doing one thread to their eight

They hadn't learnt by me but by their mistakes.

All in all a good afternoons work.
Better than Sunday as I had to go hunting the length and breadth of the UK collecting Gerts latest Ebay purchases but did get a decent cup of coffee and a natter over at Tim Leech's boatyard and was able to have a look at a later CVA lathe than mine is.

John S.

Alistair Hosie
06-13-2005, 05:41 PM
John keep up the good work nice to see you have a little time for the new boys well done Alistair p.s the Fritz work you did is lookin good laddie Alistair

cuemaker
06-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Good for you!

Wish I had somebody like you around here to help me.

Of course never asked for help either.

Any body in the columbus ohio area willing to answer a bunch of newbie questions and show me how to cut threads properly??

Ohh as an addition, I can host. Have lathe and donuts!!!

[This message has been edited by cuemaker (edited 06-13-2005).]

aboard_epsilon
06-13-2005, 06:00 PM
"Fritz work you did is lookin good laddie Alistair"

I'll second that Alistair.
if thats the quality of Johns other manuals..Tony's going to be out of work soon.
all the best.mark

bikenut
06-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Good on Ya, John. Planting some more seeds.

IOWOLF
06-13-2005, 06:03 PM
There is one guy in the Omaha area who can show the basics.and much more.

ACF
06-13-2005, 06:33 PM
The school of hard knocks, AKA experience, is the best teacher.

Chris

Mcostello
06-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Cuemaker, need help? I am available as needed.
Lancaster area.

cuemaker
06-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Mr Costello,

I would like a chance to at least see how things are done and ask a few questions.

I am in Marysville, so its a 45min to an hour to your area.

I will send you an email.

Timleech
06-14-2005, 06:21 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:

All in all a good afternoons work.
Better than Sunday as I had to go hunting the length and breadth of the UK collecting Gerts latest Ebay purchases but did get a decent cup of coffee and a natter over at Tim Leech's boatyard and was able to have a look at a later CVA lathe than mine is.

John S.</font>

Forgot to show you my new garden shed, John

http://web.onetel.com/~duttondock/Pictures/Slottershed-2.jpg

Recognise the contents?

Tim

aboard_epsilon
06-14-2005, 06:34 PM
TIM
In the words of Victor Meldew
"I dont believe it"
in fact it looks like part of one of the scenes from his show.
what have yopu got in your other sheds.
all the best...mark

Timleech
06-15-2005, 12:08 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aboard_epsilon:
TIM
In the words of Victor Meldew
"I dont believe it"
in fact it looks like part of one of the scenes from his show.
what have yopu got in your other sheds.
all the best...mark</font>


Well the other garden shed has typical garden shed stuff, but my workshop (the building behind the slotter shed) is roughly 20' x 25' & has a TOS 400 x 1500mm centre lathe, CVA centre lathe, Ward 2A capstan, Ward (no connection) T&C grinder, J&S 540 surface grinder, J&S miniature cyl. grinder (non-working project), Elliott O2 Universal Omnimil, Bridgeport SerI CNC, Arboga radial drill, Mikron gear hobber, D/E pedestal grinder. There would be room, just, to get round all the machines if it weren't for all the cr*p which always accumulates between them. The workshop is for work and play, but it's subsidiary to the day job so sometimes weeks go by when the machines don't get serious use. That's when the cr*p achieves a sort of solid state which is difficult to shift http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

Tim

John Stevenson
06-15-2005, 03:36 PM
I like visiting Tim's workshop, it's one of the rare few that makes mine look organised http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

John S.

solson
06-16-2005, 09:38 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
There is one guy in the Omaha area who can show the basics.and much more.</font>

Wolf,
I'm in the Omaha area. I didn't think anyone around here did much machine work. Are there any clubs or groups here?

Alaric
06-16-2005, 10:49 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Timleech:

Well the other garden shed has typical garden shed stuff, but my workshop (the building behind the slotter shed) is roughly 20' x 25' & has a TOS 400 x 1500mm centre lathe,
</font>

What is the vintage and model of the TOS lathe? I have a 1959 MAS SN20A1500. It is my understanding that TOS and MAS are made by the same Company.

Richard Chase
Gray, ME USA


[This message has been edited by Alaric (edited 06-16-2005).]

Timleech
06-16-2005, 12:21 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alaric:
What is the vintage and model of the TOS lathe? I have a 1959 MAS SN20A1500. It is my understanding that TOS and MAS are made by the same Company.

</font>

Mine's an SN40C by TOS Trencin, probably late 1980's but it had a hard life before I got it. My understanding is that TOS is actually an association of Czech machine tool makers, Trencin is where my lathe was made. I'm pretty sure there's at least one other lathe factory in the group, & another factory or two where mills are made.

See
http://www.bellmachineryltd.com/used_tossn40c.htm
for a pic of a smart version of mine.

Tim

Alaric
06-16-2005, 12:47 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Timleech:
Mine's an SN40C by TOS Trencin, probably late 1980's but it had a hard life before I got it. My understanding is that TOS is actually an association of Czech machine tool makers, Trencin is where my lathe was made. I'm pretty sure there's at least one other lathe factory in the group, & another factory or two where mills are made.

See
http://www.bellmachineryltd.com/used_tossn40c.htm
for a pic of a smart version of mine.

Tim</font>


Mine is like the one pictured Here 8026_mas-lathe.jpg (http://www.cascoind.com/RHC/8026_mas-lathe.jpg)

MAS is made by Kovosvit who I think was part of the TOS group at one time


Richard Chase
Gray, ME USA

John Stevenson
06-16-2005, 01:51 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Timleech:
Mine's an SN40C by TOS Trencin, probably late 1980's
See
http://www.bellmachineryltd.com/used_tossn40c.htm
for a pic of a smart version of mine.

Tim</font>

Wow, £100 less for a used model than a new one.

http://www.vikingmachinetools.com/machtool.htm?plngArea=2

Timleech
06-16-2005, 03:30 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
Wow, £100 less for a used model than a new one.

http://www.vikingmachinetools.com/machtool.htm?plngArea=2</font>


But the used one is nice & shiny http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Mine was a fraction of that price, but it didn't owe anybody anything by the time I got it. It's served me pretty well for a few years now, though. I've had an offer of a DSG on permanent loan which would be better for my job in some ways, not overkeen on all the heavy moving though.

Tim

IOWOLF
06-16-2005, 04:45 PM
I am about 50 miles east of you in crescent,Ia.
I have a shop full of tools.And trying to get a biz. started.