X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x39
    • Nov 2002

Slightly OT: another good dump find!

Today's trip to the dump yielded a complete set of the "Encyclopedia of Science and Invention", 23 volumes in what appears to be unread condition. I'm happy!

A trip to the book sale at the puplic library Yeilded a copy of, Manufacturing and machine tool operations, by H.W.Pollack $1.50 a good read, Mine is 3rd ed.

Comment

• wierdscience
      • Jan 2003

Yep,library scrap sale is coming up here too,they are cleaning out the tech and mechanical stuff to make room for the gay children's cartoon book and cultural sensitivity training for infedels section.Oh happy day
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• x39
        • Nov 2002

Some years back I found a book called the "The Book of Knowledge" at the dump. A portentous find.

Comment

• Doc Nickel
          • Mar 2003

Is that the thin tan book, with red and gold lettering? Printed in England?

I have a set of those my dad got me back in 1978 or so. I damn near read 'em to tatters. Incomplete, and often lacking in crucial detail, but it was a great way to learn a lot of general technology.

Last summer I found two entries of a later edition of the same set (these printed in the mid eighties) that of course had some newer things not found in the earlier works- a store bar-code scanner for example.

I'd be interested in finding a later edition of the set for myself.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• BWS
            • Nov 2004

Cool deal!Does your dump have that no BS return policy?Ours does...haha

Latest greatest here:Tin,Shmirnoff(sp)and Carlsberg signs.Shop has many many cool azz signs.Prior to above,'bout 3 months ago found a 10'x 3' New Ideal Farm Equip sign.

Oh yeah,got a hundred ft. 12 gauge pwr. cord along with a 50' 10 gauge a month ago.Of the four plug ends,one was missing.'bout coughed up a lung,picking my slackjaw up when seein the 10 gauge.Little thankyou to the man upstairs and the stupid wifey who no doubt tossed her ole man's cord.

Comment

• x39
              • Nov 2002

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doc Nickel:
              Is that the thin tan book, with red and gold lettering? Printed in England?</font>
              Yes, exactly! I've been having a hard time putting them down!

Comment

• DBW
                • Nov 2003

My dump story!
                I was working as a sales engineer in the Chicago area back in the 80's. While making a sales call one morning I couldn't find a parking spot in front of the customers office complex so I drove around back and found one next to a 20' trash dumpster. As I got out of my station wagon, I noticed that the dumpster was filled with old Xerox machines. WOW what a find! As I started to take off my coat and tie, I remembered that Xerox machine are filled with a messy black tonner. Not wanting to appear like a bum in front of my customer, I decided to make the sales call first and come back afterwards and take my time to get some goodies. Besides my wife would kill me if I got my good white shirt black with toner. After cooling my heels for forty minutes waiting for my potential customer who realy didn,t know what he needed, I rushed out back only to find the dumpster GONE! It seems the Xerox sales office in the same building gets rid of their old tradeins once a year buy dumping them. By the way I didn't make a sale either.

Comment

I Think I told this one already, but here it goes. My uncle going to the dump drop off noticed a man throwing away what appeared to be a like new Stihl backpack leaf blower. ASked him if he was throwing it away, he said yes, uncle asked him if he could have it, man said yes. The man said he put a new sparkplug in it and it just wouldnt work.
                  My uncle got home, re-gapped the new spark plug to spec and she started right up!

Comment

• Evan
                    • May 2003

Some years ago my dad, who is a semi-pro dumpster diver was at the Berkeley dump. He spotted something there and bought it for $100 scrap value.

It was a NASA satellite from the early chimp-in-space program. He hauled it home and hung on to it for a decade or so and then sold it to a space museum for $5000.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• jero100
                      • Jan 2003

What are old xerox machines good for?

Comment

• Evan
                        • May 2003

Lots of bearings, gears and sometimes chains and belts. Good for small motors too.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• ricksplace
                          • Feb 2005

Old photocopiers often have EXCELLENT lenses in them too!

Comment

• Mcostello
                            • Apr 2001

One time I found a doctors exam table tossed out from a business. Ya know the one with stirrups, sold on Ebay for $100. Sure kept wifey out of garage till it was gone.
                            mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Working...
                            X