PDA

View Full Version : turn-pro 7x12 problem

MMurphy
06-17-2005, 11:39 PM
The vise on my turn-pro is one of those that can be slid to size. Then with a turn or so tightens on the work. When your done, a part turn to loosen will allow it to slide freely.

The sliding part still works. But when I attempt to tighten the vise, it starts to firm up, then abruptly loosens.

Anybody have a suggestion on fixing this?

Thanks

Mike

Forrest Addy
06-18-2005, 03:09 AM
Couple of things.

One is the nut can gather up chips and crap. Reach undeneath and blow it out with the air hose. Be careful of your eyes and facial appertures the crap will fly everywhere.

'T'other is you have to back off the screw a turn or more each time you loosen it to position the nut for a full bite on the vise screw threads.

Ries
06-18-2005, 10:42 AM
I have another brand of chinese bandsaw, and we had the same problem- it turns out there is a partial acme nut down there, which is designed to slip for the rapid advance, then lock in place when pressure is applied, for final tightening.
This nut, like many chinese metallurgical marvels, is not made very well, or from very high quality material. After it wears down with some years of use, it no longer grips for tightening- it slips into rapid mode.
My solution was to remove it, and just replace it with a standard acme nut, which I brazed onto the bottom sliding clamp part.
I no longer have the jim-dandy rapid adjust feature- but I havent missed it yet- instead, if I want the vise open, I have to crank it open. Just like every other vise I have ever used in my life. Not a big problem.

Thing is, I cant remember if it was a right hand or left hand acme- I just measured the threaded rod, then bought one of each, on the theory that one would have to fit, and sure enough, one did, at a total parts cost of about 2 bucks.

MMurphy
06-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Cleaned it out. Works now..

Thanks

Ries...Saw is still new, but will keep your advice at hand.

Mike