PDA

View Full Version : HF tool grinder

johnc
06-17-2005, 05:21 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46727
Does anybody here own one of these grinders? They are on sale for $119 and I'm wondering if they are worth the investment or if I should just build a adjustable rest for my 6" grinder. Thanks in advance, John

jrmason
06-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Hey...I checked it out at harbor freight and it is pretty rough..It would take a lot of work to get one good enought to work like you would want.

------------------
jmson

japcas
06-17-2005, 06:07 PM
I have that same grinder. Got if for $119. It actually does a real good job. I installed a AO wheel from KBC on one side for grinding tool steel. The toolrest helps me to grind more consistent tools. Others on here have them and seem to like them and at for $119 it is a steal. I just couldn't afford to lay down the money for a Baldor.

Joel
06-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Lots of people here have them. Do a search and you will find a lot of good information.

I have one and it works great. It required no tweaking before putting it to work. I did add a guard for the switch to keep from accidentally switching into reverse.

JRouche
06-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Yep, also have one. Can't beat the price. I have used Baldors also and I cant tell any diff. Just get good wheels, bad wheels can make any grinder useless.JRouche

rangerod
06-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Where are you getting the sale price? I have been waiting for it to go on sale but don't have a reference for that sales price. Any help would be appreciated.

Your Old Dog
06-17-2005, 08:28 PM
I sure like mine. I've made no mods to it and find my tooling is coming out better and faster. I chuked $159.00 down for mine about 6 months ago. If you're a real machinist used to using highquality tools then you might find it wanting in quality. I work in the back yard and it works for me.

johnc
06-17-2005, 08:37 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rangerod:
Where are you getting the sale price? I have been waiting for it to go on sale but don't have a reference for that sales price. Any help would be appreciated.</font>

I live in the Denver area and that price was in a recent flyer.

BillH
06-17-2005, 08:43 PM
That price is usually a store special price, I have this grinder and I like it a lot. Also have the AO wheels from KBC on it for HSS. Only source I know of though for those AO wheels for that grinder, no one else seams to sell type 2 AO wheels. For that reason alone, perhaps a nice adjustable table for your 6" grinder may be safer bet, plus the wheels are cheaper and more plentiful.

andy_b
06-17-2005, 09:51 PM
i also bought this grinder a few months ago. i've used it a few times and it is 1,000,000 times better than the crappy bench grinder i was using before. i figure if i ever get around to putting on a set of good wheels it will be perfect. it works fine for me as-is though.

andy b.

Norman Atkinson
06-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Might I suggest that the cost is less than 1/3rd that of my kit for a Kennet from Model Engineering Services in the UK. What the additional freight charge is does not bear thinking about.

Looking at it from the picture, it seems possible to put a small jig on it to do drills and the ends of slot and mill drills.

Interesting- very interesting- even as part machined castings.
As an after thought, I wondered whether one would come home in October on my vist to Halifax, NS. Damn, it's 110 lbs!
For those who are able to make another sliding top and a -Ahem!- Quorn type tool holder. What a toy!

Norman

[This message has been edited by NORMAN ATKINSON (edited 06-18-2005).]

Mark Hockett
06-18-2005, 01:50 AM
I have the same grinder from HF and the one from Enco. The Enco one is not reversable and the HF is. Both grinders run very smooth and have plenty of power. The only work I have done on the HF one is deburr the edges of the work tables, Although the next time I change the wheels I will also have to change the socket head bolts that hold them on as they are starting to round out. The price of the Enco model is about double, so if I was going to purchase another carbide grinder I would get the HF model.
Mark

WJHartson
06-18-2005, 03:08 AM
Best grinder for the money anywhere.

Joe

Michael Az
06-18-2005, 10:24 AM
I feel lucky to have bought an old Ex-C-Ello grinder a couple weeks ago for $200. Very heavy and mounted on a pedistal. Going to take it apart, check, replace bearings. Does anybody else have one?
Michael

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-18-2005, 10:49 AM
I bought mine last year when someone on here announced they were on sale on-line for $129. I like it a lot.

I do have a question though... I want to re-dress my wheels and was wondering what's the best type of dresser for this type of grinder? Does anyone have a link to a good precision dresser?

-Adrian

BillH
06-18-2005, 10:53 AM
I bought a diamond mounted to a 3/8th shaft and made a holder out of aluminum for it. I need to re-do it with a screw feed so I can finely feed it in. Also the aluminum holder seams to stick to the table despite deburring the table. Think i'll make the next one out of steel when my shops back up and running, but for now its in storage.

PaulA
06-18-2005, 11:05 AM
I picked up an Excello at a plant auction a year or so ago. One of my better auction scores, I got it for $25. Needed a couple of new wheels and I had to surface the tables. I'll get around to painting it some year, but it's a great tool grinder. Makes grinding lathe tools a snap.

Michael Az
06-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Dang PaulA, you make me ashamed that I paid $200 for mine! I agree it should make a hell of a grinder. I decided to tear mine apart and put in new bearings before I paint it. Last grinder I painted all pretty and sure enough, the bearings were bad in the motor. Have you found a manual for yours? I have been watching ebay for one.
Michael

WJHartson
06-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Adrian, Take a look at this thread it shows some modifications I made to the grinder including a diamond dresser.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/010671.html

Joe