PDA

View Full Version : Will it go bad?

wierdscience
06-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Oldman down the road keeps bees and sells honey on the honor system.

He told me the otherday a lady stopped and asked him how long honey will keep and if it was okay to leave it in the glass Mason jars.

He told her that it would keep quite well for a long time,but if she wanted to store it properly for an extended period she needed stone vessels as glass begins to breakdown after 3,000 or so years http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

NiftyNev
06-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Good story.I've heard honey never goes off.Is that true?

Neville

[This message has been edited by NiftyNev (edited 06-17-2005).]

J Tiers
06-17-2005, 10:37 PM
It doesn't go bad fast, its too concentrated for many of the spoilage bugs.

It will certainly crystallize, then it has to be warmed up . When crystallized, I think the concentration of sugars is lowered, and it can spoil. Not certain.

Evan
06-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Honey contains some sort of natural antibiotic that helps to preserve it.

Norman Atkinson
06-18-2005, 02:15 AM
I have had a part used jar of honey in my place 6500 feet up a French mountain. It has been there for some years and is now quite sugary.

It doesn't seem to have affected me, affected me, affected me!

Norman

wbleeker
06-18-2005, 02:15 AM
As an ex beekeeper, I can tell you that the old man is dead right, they found honey in the pyramids.As the bees collect the nectar from the flowers they store it in the comb and from hazy memory they reduce the moisture content and ripen the honey, they then put a wax cap over the cell. When the beekeeper robs the hive he only take frames that are fully capped or very close to being so.If you were to rob a hive and take a lot of uncapped comb out of it the honey may go off but if it is done properly it will last for an extremely long time.Honey will not spoil when or after you warm it up to return it to a fluid state.We have the Yellow Box tree here in Oz that is the most prolific honey producing tree in the world and the honey fron this does not crystallize.Last but not least if you want to make creamed honey crystallize some honey in the fridge add this to some uncrystallized honey and beat it with a whisk in a mixer until firm honey does not require refrigeration either.
Will

Evan
06-18-2005, 03:22 AM
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/alternative/03/08/honey.healing.wmd/

johnhurd
06-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Darn this is a picture I didn't need in my mind so early in the morning

" an abscess oozed in an English woman's armpit long after it had been drained. "

Michael Az
06-18-2005, 10:18 AM
I had a swarm on my place a couple years ago and wanted to keep them. I talked to beekeepers and the state ag people. Couldn't do it because all the bee's in Az are now Africianized. I had to kill them because they were at my shop door, sure hated to do that.. If you live southwest, beware of them.
Michael

Norman Atkinson
06-18-2005, 11:41 AM
In another posting, I mentioned that my wife was the No2 Lady Fellow in Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.

Her favourite quotation is

"Never let the sun set on undrained pus"

That's right, Honey, isn't?

Norman

Ryobiguy
06-18-2005, 12:51 PM
My father casually kept bees when I was younger. Come to think of it, it was one of the first times I got paid to use tools: gluing, nailing, grommeting, wiring up, and waxing the frame blanks.
I say "casually" because he had to relocate the dozen or so hives across town when one stung the neighbors (they were always drinking from his pool,) and my dad never filled out official paperwork or got a license for bees (or something to that effect.)

Any case, something I was told was that once you heat honey past a certain point, it looses some of it's special nutritional value. Does this ring a bell to anyone? He also said something like store bought honey is required by the FDA to be strained with some fine mesh. Of course, to be productive, the viscous honey would have to be heated for quick straining, which of course (supposedly) zapped the magic out of the honey. So is my old man crazy (well, on this topic at least,) or does heating it actually reduce it's benefit?

wierdscience
06-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Awhile back we had a Army surplus place that sold 50lb blocks of bees wax.He had 10 pallets with 50 blocks each when I saw it he was selling it for $3.00 a block!
I bought one block and had I known what it cost and how many uses it has I would have got more.

My question is,WTF would the Army be using that much bees wax for?

I knew about Garlic juice for treating cuts and burns,but didn't know about honey.
I will say if you ever try Garlic,you will cry http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif
I put some on a cut once and Yeeeeow!Sonofabitch that burned,but it did work good http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 06-18-2005).]