PDA

View Full Version : Tool grinder into surface grinder

lastditch
09-22-2002, 10:11 PM
Recently found this excellent machine forum sight after reading through it for several days all members seem fairly sane people so I think I am ready to take some abuse.

Here is my winter project, I recently bought a used Woods tool and cutter grinder. But with the deal I had to take a LaBlond tool and cutter grinder that was supposedly froze up.

The LaBlond turned out to be froze up from hardened grease from sitting. A little penetrating oil and cleaning she loosened up fine. So now I am toying with the idea of making a surface grinder out it. The biggest obstacle I can see is changing the vertical knee gears/lead screw to decrease the feed . I will probably make the adjustable angle table solid also. Has anyone else tried anything similar that would know of any pit falls.

------------------
there is a fine line
between "hobby" and
mental illness

Gizmo
09-23-2002, 12:47 AM
A line, huh? You sure? Should we be on the lookout for this line, and if so, which side are we supposed to hang out on? This is a fuzzy concept that may need further discussion. A line, really?

chip's
09-23-2002, 11:47 PM
Giz,
Your just worried about the line I'm not sure of the sane part. I am sure I'm on the wrong side of the line either way.
I don't know of anyone who has tried this project. I do know of several who have used a tool post grinder on mills as a surface grinder and it works great.

I hope that is some help, Rick.

Thrud
09-24-2002, 03:26 AM
lastditch:
If that is really what you want to do - go for it. Maybe dumping the Leblond or trading if for a small surface grinder might be a better avenue to persue first. I don't normally suggest bastardizing equipment on the off chance it might work - so I would look for an appropriate surface grinder instead. Less hassles.

MikeHenry
09-24-2002, 10:54 PM
I have an Enco benchtop T&C grinder and toyed with the idea of using it as a rough surface grinder. My intent was for nice surface finish as opposed to tenths accuracy.

I was advised (by folks I respect) that this would not be a very good idea and my limited attempts at surfcae grinding with the T&C grinder seemed to confirm that advice. It was able to reduce the depth of tool marks but getting a decent finish still required emery cloth.

I suspect that T&C grinders have poorer quality bearings than do surface grinders and that may be part of the problem. Perhaps other here can comment on that possibility.

Mike, near Chicago

abn
09-25-2002, 04:50 AM
Yeah, what Thrud said...

It seems that there are plenty of people out there who would pay good cash for a nice tool and cutter grinder...especially considering retail price. I would concentrate on figuring out which grinder you want to keep, and doll the other one up for sale or trade...and use that to get a surface grinder.