PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ebay questions

Tony
06-19-2005, 04:57 PM
i realize this is way off topic. but it seems quite a few folks here use ebay.. and this forum is one of the few places on the internet where i can trust what i read.

is ebay a place where people auction things they already HAVE or do they also offer things like services and/or custom-made (when ordered) products?

are people supposed to be selling things they don't have ready to ship? i see some entries with unusually long delivery times. makes me wonder if people aren't making things (like woodwork) only after its found a buyer.

i've only bought one thing off of ebay.. and that wasn't even off of ebay! i saw a post for a 400W wind generator at a decent price. when i emailed the seller about it, it seemed like i was talking to a salesman. i gave him my creditcard info and a few weeks later a brand new in-the-box never used 400W Air403 generator showed up. (works great!)

just trying to figure out how ebay is supposed to work.

can i put an ad on ebay for a box of bolts, (for example) then make them if somone wants to buy? seems backward / almost unethical if i could.

-tony

[This message has been edited by knucklehead (edited 06-19-2005).]

bobodu
06-19-2005, 05:01 PM
About anything can be done so long as you put the conditions up front...remember the guy selling his forehead for a company logo??
Someone even had their soul up before ebay pulled it...

snowman
06-19-2005, 05:08 PM
I make an item that I put on Ebay and often make it either in process of the auction or after the auction ends. Mostly due to one thing, the number of times I have people ask after the auction if they can change something.

Yes, you can sell services on Ebay.

-Jacob

IOWOLF
06-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Here is a good one....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41369&item=8198805195&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Happy
06-19-2005, 05:14 PM
almost anything goes on ebay, as long as it isn't banned, or illegal. Realize that there are 10 million items a week on ebay, and all ebay does is run a computer program to search for illegal and banned items. so, if you sell something completely out of the ordinary, and ebay's program doesn't find it because it is banned, then as long as no one makes a complaint, or it hits the papers because it is outlandish, than it will sell.

but, if you have really long delivery times, or something else out of the ordinary, and the bidder doesn't notice it, they may complain.

snowman
06-19-2005, 05:49 PM
damn...

wish that was closer to me

-Jacob

Alistair Hosie
06-19-2005, 06:32 PM
My son bought an mp3 player on ebay he paid buy it now with paypal week after week he was politely told they were stll out of stock till eventually they had to give him his money back .That seems wrong to me how can you auction something you don't yet own for sale this is not the way auctions are supposed to work is it?Alistair

sauer38h
06-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Many eBay sellers use the "drop shipping" system, and don't maintain any inventory themselves. They sell orders on eBay, then send names and shipping addresses to a manufacturer or wholesaler. The manufacturer or wholesaler then ships the goods directly to the buyer. The seller never handles (or even sees) the goods at all.

Buckshot
06-20-2005, 01:23 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sauer38h:
Many eBay sellers use the "drop shipping" system, and don't maintain any inventory themselves. They sell orders on eBay, then send names and shipping addresses to a manufacturer or wholesaler. The manufacturer or wholesaler then ships the goods directly to the buyer. The seller never handles (or even sees) the goods at all.</font>

.........True and sometimes the reason for rather large 'Flat Rate" shipping quotes. Had ordered an assortment of MT3 enmill holders and had one size short and another duplicated. The company I was buying from was in Ohio and the items shipped from an importer in Chino, CA about 30 miles from my house.

Come to find out too, they do will call so I could have dispensed with shipping and my expense would have been time and fuel.

Rick

Tony
06-20-2005, 06:35 AM
so whats the point of the "Auction"?

say i've got a drill press that i'd like
to sell for $500.

do i start the auction at $500?
if I start it less, how do i know if it will
sell for the $500 I wanted?

and whats the point of an auction price if i can just put it up for $500 with a BuyMeNow
option?

Alistair Hosie
06-20-2005, 06:39 AM
That's exactly what they do buy it now they lose nothing if they have a reasonable price they sell ok.Trouble with the shipping direct from the wholesalers is this will the invoice not go direct to the buyer in the container /package it arrives in exoposing all.Alistair

JCHannum
06-20-2005, 07:19 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by knucklehead:

to sell for $500.

and whats the point of an auction price if i can just put it up for $500 with a BuyMeNow
option?

</font>

eBay is a selling tool that offers several mathods of presenting your item. Using any of the three methods may result in selling your drill press for $500.

The Buy It Now feature may or may not be used. If there is an opening bid less than amount and someone bids that, the BIN goes away, and it is a normal auction.

My advice is list it for the minimum amount you will be happy with, and hope it goes higher. eBay may not always get the best price, but it is probably the best method of being sure something gets sold.

As to the drop ship sellers, this is an aggravation, and is usually seen in electronics, digital cameras and similar items. The best protection is to ask the seller if he is hands on or drop ship and the inventory situation and hope for an honest answer.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 06-20-2005).]

Happy
06-20-2005, 07:28 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by knucklehead:

to sell for $500.

option?

</font>

My guess is no one will buy your drill press until you lower your price. Or, start a real auction at $10, and let the market decide what it is worth.