PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky brass.....

J Tiers
06-22-2005, 11:38 PM
I have a stick of "normal -looking" brass a few feet long and 1.25 diameter.

Hadn't used any until now. It is the squeakiest chatteriest stuff to cut, I guess its mystery metal.....I just wanted to make a fitting out of a short piece (actually a sight glass for an oiler).

Is there any "normal-looking" brass that cuts OK, but is very chattery and squeaky?

I've already pretty much decided it must not be leaded brass..... and it shouldn't be any sort of odd bronze.

I'm more-or-less wondering if it is ideantifiable and if it might be anything with "interesting" properties. I don't think a spark test will get far on it.... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

BillH
06-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Your cutting tools, I find 2 flute endmills work best in the mill, and for lathe, you want zero rake.

tattoomike68
06-23-2005, 12:10 AM
if it is realy "brass" crank the feeds way up and it will "howl" but cut nice, dont baby the stuff. hog it hard and fast.

leaded brass? that would be butter soft, run the rpm balls out and let the chips fly.

I bet you have some aluminum bronze and its not soft at all.

good stuff though.

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 06-23-2005).]

J Tiers
06-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Had zero rake.....and high speed. It does cut nicely on OD.

It just likes to howl and leave chatter marks when boring, even with short fat boring bars, and went crazy drilling, even with edge flatted.

What does aluminum bronze look like? This stuff looks like brass.

pgp001
06-23-2005, 07:39 AM
I once spent hours making a new spring barrel gear ring for a musical box from a lump of brass I had in my scrap box, it too was a bugger to machine but I persevered until it was done.
I then tried to solder the actual barrel into it. NO WAY, it just would not solder at all.
I ended up making another from different scrap brass which was OK to solder.
I reckon it must have been aluminium bronze.

Its back in the scrap box !!

Phil

[This message has been edited by pgp001 (edited 06-23-2005).]

Swarf&Sparks
06-23-2005, 07:46 AM
Oz $1 and $2 coins are made from ali bronze. It has more of a gold sheen than brass and doesn't oxidize so readily. Dunno if this will help you in the US of A tho http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

SGW
06-23-2005, 07:46 AM
There's a gazillion alloys called "brass" that all look more or less alike. Also a gazillion "bronze" alloys that look pretty much like the brass alloys. And they all have somewhat different properties.

You may have a piece of some kind of bronze. Although generalities are dangerous, in general bronze tends not to machine very well because the crystalline structure of a lot of the bronze alloys doesn't have well-defined slip planes.

Of course, for any given alloy the generality may be completely invalid....

J Tiers
06-23-2005, 08:13 AM
One further clue:

The usual brasses I am familiar with machine with short chips.

This stuff likes to form ribbons, and is "not impressed" by chipbreakers. The ribbon tends to flow over them.

chief
06-23-2005, 08:23 AM
I agree sounds like bronze.

John Stevenson
06-23-2005, 08:25 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J Tiers:
One further clue:

The usual brasses I am familiar with machine with short chips.

This stuff likes to form ribbons, and is "not impressed" by chipbreakers. The ribbon tends to flow over them.</font>

Sounds like ali bronze to me.
Chips as ribbons.
Tough as old boots, squeals like a pig.
Good for rubbing surfaces, selector forks, valve guides, chucking at next doors cat, bandsaw blade guides.
Blunts reamers quicker that a grinding wheel.
Used as a bushng it will wear the shaft out first.

John s.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 06-23-2005).]

J Tiers
06-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Hmmm... That would actually be nice... I have a meter or so of 30mm dia stuff....got for $3 or thereabouts....

And I have wear-type applications that it would be good for.

Is there any sensible way to check it? It does seem to cut harder than most brass, and really doesn't "pull in" a drill.

'Course if I "had" to have aluminum bronze, I'd buy it as that........