PDA

View Full Version : Polish Drill Chucks

lenord
06-22-2005, 02:53 PM
All,

Just got the new HSM mag.
New England Brass & Tool has some Polish made, keyless, ball bearing, heavy duty, drill chucks on sale. The prices are good from what I can see. US$80 for a 1/32-1/2".

Does anyone have one ? Comments ?

The Jacobs models from Enco are over US$200.

Lenord

BillH
06-22-2005, 02:54 PM
I wonder if Bison makes them. They sell Bison lathe chucks.

lenord
06-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Well, they are on the same page as the Bison lathe chucks. I have one and rather like it.

Lenord

precisionworks
06-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Made by Bison. Superb Polish quality. 100% guaranteed by Bob Cummings, owner of NEB&T http://www.brassandtool.com/

------------------
Barry Milton

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-22-2005, 04:03 PM
I was expecting to read a funny Polish joke or something.. Booorrrring.. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

-Adrian

Norman Atkinson
06-22-2005, 04:55 PM
? Skoda?

How do you increase the value of your Skoda?
Fill it with petrol.

The drill chucks are probably made by them.

Norm

Fred White
06-22-2005, 05:29 PM
I bought a keyless drill chuck from Enco. Made in Taiwain. Surprisingly I am very impressed with it. Almost put it up against my Albrecht.

nheng
06-22-2005, 05:39 PM
I like Bob and have bought from him in the past but you might want to consider the Rohm Supra series. On Enco sale, price is $54 at the moment. One notch up is their Spiro series which is high precision with low runout. You'll need a Jacobs to MT shank. I've been happy with the Supra as have others on this board. Den

lenord
06-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the replies guys !

Lenord

Doozer
06-22-2005, 09:35 PM
One difference I notice between Albright and Rohm is the tightening screw pitch, and thus the grip of the self tightening feature. The Albright you have to spin more turns to close than a Rohm. The Rohm closes quicker, but I suspect has less holding power. I have used both brand chucks without a problem, but I have found the Albright to grip the drill so tight, it leaves three little lines on the bit where the chuck jaws bite in. One note of caution with any keyless, self tightening chuck, if you use them on a hex shank tool, like a hole saw arbor, they tighten themselves like the bejesus! Some chucks are available with wrench flats for extra tightening, I say they are there for loosening really tight drill bits. I wonder how "quick" tightening these Polish chucks are, more like a Albright or more like a Rohm?? I have taken apart many Albright chucks; the machine shop at work screws them up and throws them out. I have combined the usable parts of them to make good ones. Once I ordered a set of balls from J&L for around $7. I recieved one ball. I had to convince the sales girl on the phone that the price was for 20 or so balls, not $7 for one ball. They figured it out with my help. --Doozer in Buffalo

JPR
06-22-2005, 11:56 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The Albright you have to spin more turns to close than a Rohm. The Rohm closes quicker, but I suspect has less holding power. --Doozer in Buffalo </font>

Thanks for the explanation on the difference between the Rohm and Albright chucks. I have one Albrecht which I like, but have been looking at the Rohm chucks due to cost of the Albrecht.

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 06-22-2005).]

Allan Waterfall
06-23-2005, 06:47 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NORMAN ATKINSON:
? Skoda?

How do you increase the value of your Skoda?
Fill it with petrol.

The drill chucks are probably made by them.

Norm</font>

Norman,

I've had a Skoda Octavia diesel now for six years,it's the best car I've ever had and I get an average 55mpg including 70-80 mph motorway runs.

The most unreliable car I ever had was a brand new Toyota Avensis built in this country.The engine was OK but the rest of it kept falling apart.

From what I hear, Mercs aren't very reliable and cost a fortune to service.

Allan

John Stevenson
06-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Hey Norman,
Don't extract the urine out of Skoda http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

They have a very good reputation on machine tools and always have had.

http://www.skoda.cz/produkty.asp?Q853A=C0J2P1T1K62

I have a couple of thier revolving centres and they are streets better than the others I have including one by Jones and Shipman.

I also have a good selection of chucks and in my opinion they go best to less:-
Skoda
Rhom
Metabo
and Albricht.
I dislike the Albricht's, although they hold well but you often need a set of grips to release a large drill, the fisrt three you don't.

I purposely haven't mentioned Jacobs because in my opinion they ought to stick to making crackers.
The two new keyless ones supplied with the last new lathe lasted about one week longer than warranty before snapping the jaws.

John S.

PS Skoda is Czech, not Polish.

Timleech
06-23-2005, 08:04 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:

I purposely haven't mentioned Jacobs because in my opinion they ought to stick to making crackers.
The two new keyless ones supplied with the last new lathe lasted about one week longer than warranty before snapping the jaws.

John S.

</font>

I'll second that on Jacobs, keyless at least.
I bought one of their 5/8" keyless chucks, it's *never* gripped anything more than about a 3/8" drill without it slipping.
I've got a couple of Chinese chucks which are much better than the Jacobs, no complaints about them for the price. (One Vertex, the other 'Golden Goose' or some such)

I had a Rohm self-destruct after I'd used it to hold a hole saw, since realised that hole saws and keyless chucks don't mix well.

Tim

John Lawson
06-23-2005, 10:23 AM
So, you want to hear a funny Polish joke?
Polish companies make products superior to those now made in the U.S. (if you can find any.) They make them for less money, even with the importer's markup. They have a long history of quality control.
Sad, isn't it? We have become a cnc paradise. But ask yourself "How many workers does it take to turn out a part by cnc?"
Don't junk out our turret lathe yet.
As we speak, the Chinese delegation is working in D.C. to further devastate the U.S. economy with their slave labor imports. After a few slugs of booze, our government officials will agree to anything they want, and our slim grip on economic stability will slip even farther into the abyss of disaster.
I guess that, after all, the Chinamen won the Korean war and are now demanding reparations for the big time.
Guess I'll go to Penney's and buy some clothes for sumer...all of which will have been made by slave labor in China. (And when Kathy Lee had some things made by child labor, everybody yelled and screamed and howled that she was terrible. How about everything we buy, practically, made by SLAVE labor? My how things change!)

Norman Atkinson
06-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Allan, If you have the odd Merc or two, what you pay for fuel and servicing is purely academic. It's a bit like the bloke who asked Rolls what the Horse power was of his new car. The reply was "adequate"
You missed seeing my car at Harrogate but BikePeter did.

John,
Having experienced the mechanical products of both Poland and the Czech Republic from the days of Dubcek- the first period of office, I can testify just how good these are. I'm sure that those who lost loved ones in the Lockerbie Bombing will reluctantly agree. Down the road South from Hradec Kralove which is on the way to Poprad, 60 miles from the Russian border there is or was a factory.Makes something which looks like brown salami.

Where on earth can a body get a classical education like that?

Norman

Evan
06-23-2005, 11:21 AM
John Lawson,

You may find this interesting reading.

http://www.iie.com/publications/papers/lardy0304.htm

Michael Az
06-23-2005, 11:38 AM
I would like to know the true story of what is really going on in China. I watch programs on tv that show a lot of capalism is going on with manufactering. Then friends tell me, no things are still slave labor. Is it a regional thing? From what I understand communism is still alive and well but the people now have a choice.
Michael

Allan Waterfall
06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NORMAN ATKINSON:

You missed seeing my car at Harrogate but BikePeter did.

</font>

Nah....I didn't miss anything,I went there to buy and look at things that interest me. I'd only be interested in a car if it was something special,not a lot of time to go wandering round a car park.

Allan

J Tiers
06-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Even 10 years ago, slave labor may have existed some places, but not where I was around Shenzen. There were jobs advertised, and people changing jobs on account of wage differences.

More of that now.

Apparently nobody wants to work in the Guangdong area (Shenzen), they don't like the low pay and dirty work. They want to work near Shanghai, where wages are higher.

Some folks thought that dormitories meant slave labor. Maybe low pay, but not slaves. Folks from the interior, who come to work in the city. Yes, something of a "Pullman Illinois" deal I am sure, but not slavery.

I understand there are prison factories, can't speak to that, never saw one. We used to have prisoners make things here too, until that was nixed by the "do-gooders". They apparently wanted the prisoners to have more time for gang killings and classes on how to commit crimes, so that society would be further de-stabilized.

JPR
06-23-2005, 09:23 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J Tiers:
... I understand there are prison factories, can't speak to that, never saw one. We used to have prisoners make things here too, until that was nixed by the "do-gooders". They apparently wanted the prisoners to have more time for gang killings and classes on how to commit crimes, so that society would be further de-stabilized.</font>

There are factories at Federal Correction Institutions. http://www.unicor.gov/index.cfm
Some of the furniture is very well made with only plywood or solid wood materials.

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 06-23-2005).]