PDA

View Full Version : Painting Gavanized Metal

jr45acp
09-25-2002, 11:14 AM
Any thoughts on what I might use to prime a piece of galvanized sheet metal prior to painting. I remember (vaguely) that back during my coast guard days we used zinc chromate fondly referred to as green death to prime such items. The part to be primed and painted will be in a climate controlled environment and not exposed to any deleterious elements.

------------------
John B

Jaymo
09-25-2002, 01:27 PM
Nope, but I like your choice of handgun calibers.

Dave the Nave
09-25-2002, 01:50 PM
I've had good results stipping off galvanized parts with pure muriatic acid.It should take that stuff off in a New York minute.

Chris Fazio
09-25-2002, 03:45 PM
John B.
What you need is something called "wash primer". It is a 2 pt. solvent based system where the one part is composed of phosphoric acid and the other part is the resin cut in solvent. Can't tell you where to get this material,but you might try Sherwin- Williams.

Chris

SGW
09-25-2002, 06:05 PM
I've heard that washing down galvanized metal with vinegar prior to painting will etch the zinc enough so paint will stick reliably. I think Rust-Oleum sells a "galvanized metal primer."

jr45acp
09-25-2002, 08:03 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaymo:
Nope, but I like your choice of handgun calibers.</font>

thaks for that! I believe that any attempt to develp a semiautomatic pistol after mr. Brownings work is an after thought. Of course, I'm an old fa_t, but they've always worked for me.

jr45acp
09-25-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks to all! I'll give it a try. Isn't technology great?!? Ask a question and have all these excellent responses in a matter of hours. Jaymo, I've sent you a personal response! Terminal ballistics forever!!!!

Herb Helbig
09-25-2002, 08:09 PM
I recall reading on a paint can that you should let galvanized metal weather for a month before painting.

------------------

docsteve66
09-26-2002, 10:39 AM
I never stayed in one placelong enough to know if these things worked or not but I used to work on grain elevators with a little painted tin. I have been told (and saw it used), that the vinegar works for fresh tin, coat it, let it work over nite, then paint, that its better to let it stay up a few months then paint.

One of the few things I have finaly taught my wife is that they don't make a paint tool that fits my hand- so I really don't know. And yes, little wife, I did paint a bunch of water tanks , but there was no one looking over my shoulder and seldom got with in 100 feet of my paint job. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
Steve