PDA

View Full Version : old boy tells it as it is

Alistair Hosie
06-24-2005, 06:41 PM
An old boy at our local engineers club sat with us one lunchtime and explained quietly to all at the table he was seriously addicted.We were all taken aback because apart from cigarettes he never drank etc well he said I am addicted, as he said I suspect we all are with tools I have been since I was aboy he added.I just love them I never tire of hearing about them or touching using them or buying them.I suspect most of us that love tools are a little bit that way aint we ??? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifAlistair

IOWOLF
06-24-2005, 06:46 PM
How true it is.I know I am, anyone who has been to my shop knows this is true for me also.

Wirecutter
06-24-2005, 06:51 PM
I never met a tool I didn't like, except for the ones that I couldn't figure out how to use. Now I'm known on my street for being able to diagnose, have the tool for, and fix almost anything. The beauty of a shop is that if you don't have some special tool, chances are good that you can make one.

I hate to use the PC term, but it makes me feel, well, empowered.

BillH
06-24-2005, 06:58 PM
With me it just started out with wanting to build live steam locomotives. Once you have a lathe and mill, a whole new world opens up.

aboard_epsilon
06-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Once you have a lathe and mill,...
yeah .....know all about that..you end up wanting more lathes and mills...lol :0

all the best..mark

snowman
06-24-2005, 08:02 PM
and a shaper, hobber, welder, surface grinder, ironworker, VMC, HMC, CNC lathe, cylindrical grinder, centerless grinder....

when the list ends, you start over and get two of everything http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Jacob

PSD KEN
06-24-2005, 08:41 PM
My justification for anything from vehicles to tools is: Because I want it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

WJHartson
06-24-2005, 09:13 PM
You guy have it all wrong. My dad told me that it was just a phase that I was going through and that I would outgrow it. Now 61, guess some phases last longer than others.

Joe

wierdscience
06-24-2005, 09:41 PM
I thought this WAS a tool addiction support group? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

WJHartson
06-24-2005, 10:04 PM
There is no cure so a support group is the only answer.

Joe

J Tiers
06-24-2005, 11:21 PM
I dunno.... I thought about it a while back, and realized that I had MADE quite a bit of non-shop stuff for repairs on things.

I think I am on a fair way to paying for the tools in repairs, actually. That's not counting shop-related stuff. Counting that (sort of regressive) it is clearly money ahead. But If I didn't have the shop I wouldn't have needed the repairs, so......

That is what I like to do. I fix stuff, I make stuff, its fun.

And its one in the eye for the consumer society..... another plus.

lugnut
06-24-2005, 11:32 PM
I don’t think that I have owned a tool that has not paid for it’s self. Now having said that, boys, go out and buy all the tools you have always wanted, “they’re FREE” !!!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Mel

Michael Az
06-25-2005, 12:33 AM
This explains why we are at the top of the food chain.
Michael

Buckshot
06-25-2005, 02:30 AM
........I made my first trip to Reliable Tool in Irwindale to pickup a 6" Kurt I'd been high bidder on ($200), and I don't yet own a suitable milling machine.

I went into their 'storefront' place where you can buy endmills, drill bits, reamers, and other tools by the pound. These were $4 a pound and most are used. Some re-sharps dip-sealed. Some brand new drill bits in 10ea packaging.

Before I knew it I had about 15 lbs of stuff, and had to go back through what I had, to cut it in half. I had no immediate use for anything that I bought. I most likely bought a lot of what I already owned.

However, they were shiney. They were sharp. They were cheap and I had to have some. I don't have a horizontal mill either, but must admit to having been entranced by some of these cutters, slabbers, and slitters. It's like jewelery to a woman and shiney is to a monkey :-)

Rick

bobbybeef
06-25-2005, 03:04 AM
Second wave means you get the bench drill you really should have got in the first place. Still the motor on the first one might come in handy one day.
Scrap bins never have the bit of stuff you need at the time. Another trip to the supplier. Or the tip.
You know you have a problem when you demolish an expensive tool to win a bit of stuff to make a cruddy tool you can get at the store for pennies.
When the pile of blunt drills reaches a drawer full you learn to hand grind. Why do that when you can flush next weeks housekeeping on a motorised sharpener that produces a worse job than hand grinding. And you liked doing it.
What problem.
bobby.

Smtty58
06-25-2005, 06:39 AM
-- I thought this WAS a tool addiction support group? --

Lol, this would be like an alcohlic joining a winetasting group

ibewgypsie
06-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Exwives, Childsupport, house payments are the cure for buying unwanted tools.

Yep.

I am a addict. Can't help myself. Now I need more building to put more tools.

David

Wirecutter
06-25-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm for all of us getting together and having a barn-raising for Ibew. I just want to see the stuff he makes when the stuff is spread out and easier to use.

No fair if he just gets more stuff and fills in all the spaces.

Your Old Dog
06-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I like putting these goodies in the shop because to me it's a kind of freedom. I'm now free to dream and think about projects I'd like to make because I have the where-with-all to make most of my ideas. Now, if the knowledge to use them and the raw materials would just come a little quicker!

I grew up helping my Dad and hearing him say, "Raymond, if we just had a welder we'd be done with this" (I got 3 welders) Same with the lathe and mill! I'm living my Dad's dream. I wish he knew just how good a dream it was. Life is good (when the supreme court ain't in session)!