View Full Version : anyone seen a vertical shaper

Alistair Hosie
06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Vertical shaper


06-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Even better than that i just found an Elliot 18 with the attachment to convert it to a vertical shaper.

I am hoping i will get it but the fellow who owns it has it stored out side in the open not covered up,and now that i have asked about it no doubt he will think that he has one fine piece of high tech preeeeeeeeeeeecision machinery that is just worth thousands and thousands.

1- people who stick good machines outside to rust should be tortured in the finest medieval tradition.

2 even worse should be saved for those who commit the above offenseand then are reluctant to give it up as it is obviuosly valuble (though they will nevr use it)

06-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Thats not just any old shaper, its actually a toolroom punch shaper.
They have a really weird action where the tool pulls away at the end of the stroke to leave a radius in the root of a punch.
My dad used to have one like it made by Theil.


06-30-2005, 06:06 PM
the scope on it must be worth £40
all the best...mark

06-30-2005, 07:25 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thistle:

1- people who stick good machines outside to rust should be tortured in the finest medieval tradition.

Ah, yes. Where's the kid with the flame-thrower when you need him?

Note also that the seller is hiding his/her feedback score - that's usually not a good sign.

Feedback aside, he'd probably get more for it if he were willing to ship it.

jim davies
06-30-2005, 11:39 PM
I see "no postage" on that Ebay item. Heh.

07-01-2005, 04:58 AM
I can't quite grasp what you were saying about the stroke of that thing.Does the tool move straight up and down like a slotter? Could you explain it in more detail ?
Thanks for your insight .


07-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Its not easy to visualise, but the tool follows a vertical path for a pre determined stroke, then finishes the cut with a radius as it pulls away, its sort of like a clawing action. Dad had one that was going to be usefull for all sorts of jobs (thats what he told mum anyway) but I think once he figured out how it worked it only ever got used once after that.


John Stevenson
07-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Here you are Thistle, this is what you have.


A vertical shaper is another term for a slotter.
These come in various forms,

Fixed bed, adjustable ram type.


Movable bed, toolroom type.


And the add on attachment to the bridgeport mill.


John S.

Alistair Hosie
07-01-2005, 10:20 AM
You have some well deserved nice stuff John one day I will come visit you and see for myself good luck Alistair

John Stevenson
07-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Not mine so no need to visit http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

No seriously only the Ravensburg slotter is mine. The Elliot attachment is from the manual and the other two are off the web.

I used to have an old Butler slotter but parted it out to Tim Leech when he was suffering with his eyes http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

John S.

07-01-2005, 02:00 PM
John - thats the one .

No luck yet .

poor old girl sitting in the elements.