PDA

View Full Version : Interesting co-worker / Ex-co-worker shenanigans?

J Tiers
06-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Any lurid stories?

Found out today, a former co-worker was dinged for making and selling half a million illegal cable de-scramblers, AND not paying taxes on the profits.
He has to pay something over $300,000, and is on 5 years probation, 6 mos "house arrest". I actually thought that was pretty light. I knew perfectly well he had been doing {something shady} for 10 years {but wasn't sure what was shady}.
Yeah, the usual, guy with shady income, three expensive houses, big truck, horses, money to burn, the whole deal. Hate to say it, but that kind of person annoys me, I don't feel very bad when they get caught.

Another guy was caught cooking meth in the garage. We think that yet a third ex-employee ratted on him..... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

I'm waiting to see what happens eventually to the one who recently quit. He quit because work interfered with taking care of his very lucrative business of "adult" websites and internet sales of related "stuff".

The things you find out about people......

Edited{}

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 06-29-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-28-2005, 05:29 PM
I've rented over a 100 DVD's from Netflix and never rewound any of them.. Does that count?

-Adrian

snowman
06-28-2005, 06:14 PM
"I'm waiting to see what happens eventually to the one who recently quit. He quit because work interfered with taking care of his very lucrative business of "adult" websites and internet sales of related "stuff"."

I'm actually surprised anyone can make it in this business...it's tough. Lucrative is an understatement for that type of business. Material is expensive, bandwidth is expensive, advertisting, etc...then you have to keep out the hackers.

I looked at it for a while...I wanted something I could run while going to school. If my girlfriend wasn't going in to teaching, I might have given it a go...however all it takes in a small town is to get your taxes done by someone with a big mouth.

One of the previous places I worked just cracked a guy for steeling tooling and posting it on Ebay. Freaking moron...you cant steal custom made tooling!

Another previous place a guy was borrowing lots of laboratory equipment...moisture analyzers, PH, conductivity, a couple old HID lamps, you can see where I'm going. He didn't get busted...moved to new mexico or something.

Sooo many more, but I dont like incriminating people http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Jacob

snowman
06-28-2005, 06:15 PM
You are a jerk Adrian...

I HATE waiting for my DVD to rewind...and it's all your fault!

IOWOLF
06-28-2005, 06:37 PM
LOL, that was good. Oops sorry for the caps.

Careful, snowman he will moon you.

[This message has been edited by IOWOLF (edited 06-28-2005).]

jfsmith
06-29-2005, 12:20 AM
Well, lets see I knew the guy who was king of the illegal concert T-Shirt trade for a while. He took his money and moved to a better neighborhood.

Now I know who isn't rewinding the DVDs, darn you all to heck!

Jerry

ibewgypsie
06-29-2005, 04:27 AM
Yeah, my coworker worked with me six years ago, has a pair of crimp tools that just fits into a toolbox, I have not saw mine in about six years and they look just like them.

Reckon it is the same guy? He professes to be a good christian. Me? I'm just a honest Georgia boy who gets taken by everyone. Read that Niave.

David

chief
06-29-2005, 04:41 AM
If you knew he was doing it for ten years why didn't you report him you are not better than he is. People like this annoy you? You sound jealous.

Your Old Dog
06-29-2005, 06:48 AM
We've got a guy who has management convinced he's half nuts. Likes to brag about his assault rifles and such.

He's also the brightest tech in the shop. Ain't nothing you can drag infront of him that he can't fix. He's in cahoots with another guy who used to work across town at another station. It looks like they fence things taken from our freaking business for each other but management dosen't have the balls to try and proove it. It's pretty much open knowledge. Yet the company is afraid of his alleged assault rifles. Kinda like a woman who is afraid to turn in an abusive husband.

At about the time his marriage was going thru some rough water he missed 6 weeks of work in the hospital. They found him one weekend behind city hall severly beaten up. There was no reason for his being there. Ain't nothing there but parking ramps. The rumour mill has it that his wife's family had him dealt with. He now speaks well of his family but we're still missing **** !!

It's kind of a negative reward for all the employees who try to do a good job.

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 06-29-2005).]

bob308
06-29-2005, 08:06 AM
i worked at a place where they supplied all the tools. well this guy and his wife was going through a divorce. she showed up at the front gate with her trunck full of company marked tools and truned them over to the man . well he got his divorce, canned and jail time too.

bobodu
06-29-2005, 08:14 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by snowman:
You are a jerk Adrian...

I HATE waiting for my DVD to rewind...and it's all your fault!

</font>

It's not that bad if you know the trick...just turn em over and use the fast foreward.

Had a guy get fired for stealing toilet paper! Ya don't try to sneak out 24 rolls at one time...spread it out...plus the women will notice your new boost of self confidence!
Another couple got fired for having sex in the bathroom.Clearly,they had not read the employee handbook.Page 46 plainly states that "Sexual activity is permitted in designated areas only."

[This message has been edited by bobodu (edited 06-29-2005).]

J Tiers
06-29-2005, 08:25 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chief:
If you knew he was doing it for ten years why didn't you report him you are not better than he is. People like this annoy you? You sound jealous.</font>

Because

1) my "knowlege" did not amount to proof, or even "reasonable cause"...there are such things as false police reports, libel laws, harassment, etc.

2) What a third party SAYS is happeneing is not proof.

3) There is no requirement to investigate and GET proof, and I am not a "government informer".

4) I see folks run red lights every day, and I don't call the cops, AND NEITHER DO YOU.

Jealous? Of getting 5 years probation? Nope..... annoyed that crime pays but no good deed goes unpunished.

Look at Richard Scrushy..... free, can't be prosecuted again, and IMO does not deserve to be free.

topct
06-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Ooooh I got a good one. At the local Kiaser aluminum plant many years ago their was this group of maintanance workers. Three of them if I remember right. There are lots of tunnels and various rooms underground. They were where they routed a lot of the electrical and plumbing needed to run the large rolling and sheet proccess machinery.

Well these guys found an unused and aparently forgotten room that used to house some electrical panels or whatever. Anyway under the cover of graveyard shift they procceded to set themselves up a mariyawna growing operation.

I don't remember how long it lasted. If I got the story strait it was discouvered by an engineer walking down one of the tunnels with a set of blueprints and counting the doors. He discouvered a door not noted on the prints with a padlock on it, and just had to look inside.

By the way these guys had a average of about about fifteen years with the company.

------------------
Gene

[This message has been edited by topct (edited 06-29-2005).]

chief
06-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Please don't assume to know or not know what I do, You stated you knew what he was doing for ten years, You remind me of the the tired "I was just following orders "
line.
Not everyone has your low standards of integrity.

jkilroy
06-29-2005, 11:21 AM
All of my friends AND family know, if they are breaking the law and I find out about it, I will turn them in myself. I don't break the law and I will turn in anyone that does and is stupid enough to tell me about it or let me see it happen.

tankdriver
06-29-2005, 11:26 AM
This one can not be beat. This is for real. Worked there shortly after it happened. Place Smyrna Tn., right outside of Nashville. Drug mfg co., CMC Drugs. Make products for Target, Wal-mart, Malone and Hyde, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, and their labels of Swan, Carroll, Dr Lane. I was Production Maint. Super... Before the dropped all the laws on interstate trucking, companies could have their own truck line, but they could not carry common freight back, so they would come back empty. The Company dispatcher started running his own business on the empty back hauls. He had several drivers who he would pay to haul freight on the way back. They would turn that log book into him, with fuel the fuel bills and such. They now know it went on for at least 5 years. It all came to an end when 1 driver gave the wrong log book to the company. They figure that he was clearing over $500,000 a year AFTER expenses. He went to jail on Tax laws, and company had LARGE fines to pay.

[This message has been edited by tankdriver (edited 06-29-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-29-2005, 11:31 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkilroy:
All of my friends AND family know, if they are breaking the law and I find out about it, I will turn them in myself. I don't break the law and I will turn in anyone that does and is stupid enough to tell me about it or let me see it happen.</font>

I can picture it..... You're in your friends car (soon to be x-friend)... You glance over and see he's driving 65 MPH in a 55 MPH zone... You pull out your cell phone and call the police to report a speeding car... The police ask you what the license plate number is... You hesitate for a second, then tell them you can't read it from inside of the car... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Adrian

jkilroy
06-29-2005, 11:51 AM
3 Phase, thats all bull droppings. Everyone always brings up traffic laws when this topic comes up. There is varrying degrees of breaking the law, same reason there are different penalties otherewise we would give speeders the chair! So the logic doesn't hold, "Well they are breaking the law, why don't you turn them in" Trust me, if I felt there were going to harm other, like driving drunk, you can bet your bottom dollar I will bust em.

In Japan they convict over 95% of those that break the law, you know why? Because people don't tollerate it and turn them in. We need a lot more of that in this country.

J Tiers
06-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Please don't assume to know or not know what I do, You stated you knew what he was doing for ten years, You remind me of the the tired "I was just following orders "
line.
Not everyone has your low standards of integrity.</font>

chief, it has been said and repeatedly shown to be correct that when a person strongly criticises another, they are likely themselves guilty of the very acts they criticise..... you might want to consider that....
Judge not, that you be not judged likewise

To set the record straight....I had heard he was manufacturing cable stuff....even that it might be a bit shady..... However, every piece of info I have is at least second hand even now.

But thank you for your input and condemnation from afar.... pull ahead please....

jackb
06-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Back between my sophmore and junior years in college, I spent a couple years working in a grey iron foundry in an effort to replenish the funds available for tuition. One night I stayed to do some overtime on the second shift. I was walking with the shift foreman past the storage room for molding and core sands when we heard what, at first, sounded like a scuffle. However; when we looked in the store room we found one of the female employees (and this was an industrial strength woman in every sense of the word http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif )"buck naked", legs in the air with one of the other shift supervisors on top of her. His pants around his ankles. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif "Going for glory" so to speak. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif The pair of them using the bags of molding sand for a mattress. Needless to say, they both ended up looking for new employment. I don't know if this rates with all your light fingered coworkers, but it sure livened up the evening for once.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Jack http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-29-2005, 12:57 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jackb:
Back between my sophmore and junior years in college, I spent a couple years working in a grey iron foundry in an effort to replenish the funds available for tuition. One night I stayed to do some overtime on the second shift. I was walking with the shift foreman past the storage room for molding and core sands when we heard what, at first, sounded like a scuffle. However; when we looked in the store room we found one of the female employees (and this was an industrial strength woman in every sense of the word http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif )"buck naked", legs in the air with one of the other shift supervisors on top of her. His pants around his ankles. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif "Going for glory" so to speak. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif The pair of them using the bags of molding sand for a mattress. Needless to say, they both ended up looking for new employment. I don't know if this rates with all your light fingered coworkers, but it sure livened up the evening for once.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Jack http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif</font>

"industrial strength woman"? Ouch... If I saw that, I think I might have to file a workers comp claim against the company.. Seeing that would definitely cause some damage...

-Adrian

psomero
06-29-2005, 06:42 PM
line.
Not everyone has your low standards of integrity.</font>

"I knew perfectly well he had been doing {something shady} for 10 years {but wasn't sure what was shady}."

remember that whole thing innocent until proven guilty? well, there's a lot of lawyers out there who do. you gotta watch your ass these days...

psomero
06-29-2005, 06:45 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:

"industrial strength woman"? Ouch... If I saw that, I think I might have to file a workers comp claim against the company.. Seeing that would definitely cause some damage...

-Adrian</font>

seriously. i hope your company had good blindness insurance coverage...

wbleeker
06-30-2005, 04:20 AM
We recently had an incident happen that we couldn't prove but we felt obliged to take preventative action.
Our family business is a Pie Shop (Australia) my wife and I got home from Greece about two and a half weeks ago, the next day one of our bakers gave me two weeks notice that he had found another job closer to home and would be leaving, at that time I warned him that under no circumstances was he to use any of our recipes etc at his new job, a couple days later we went to get our recipe book to use a recipe that we don't use often, it was gone! I talked to a lawyer immediately, he sent letters to our now ex employee and his new boss outlining common law obligations of employees etc nicely telling them both what would happen if our recipes were used.And then the funniest thing happened- our recipe book came home!

Tuckerfan
06-30-2005, 04:36 AM
Oh, I've got lots of stories. Numerous ex-coworkers have been drug dealers, kidnappers, bank robbers, child molesters, and (at least attempted, if not actual) murderers.

Of course, that kind of pales, IMHO, compared to my ex-employer who was shipping scrap parts to the military. Yes, I DID report them to the Feds over this, but so far nothing's come of the investigation (other than I can't seem to find work as a machinist).

moldmonkey
06-30-2005, 06:14 PM
I used to work at a plastics factory that was "interesting". Several incidents of sexual activity at work. I called one guy the "tunnel rat" because of an incident in the tunnels where the power and chilled water ran to the presses. Some of my favorites:

_Guy decided to smoke a joint on the loading dock... at noon ...about 20 feet from the production floor...about two days after they announcec the new tougher drug policy. Funny thing was they hired him back a couple years later, like there would be a different outcome. They fired him again after a couple of months.

-Apparently noone told the new temp from Guatemala that a floater would cover for him if he needed a bathroom break. He whipped it out right there and p###ed on the floor.

And the ultimate in I wish I didn't know that:

-We had a dumpster for metal back in the far corner of the property. One day they send out a facilities maintenance guy to clean up around it because a bigshot was coming through. He finds a pair of mens underwear and a condom both covered in feces and blood.

Jon

IOWOLF
06-30-2005, 06:34 PM
When I was single,I worked at Fruehauf L.B.T. Omaha, A gal and I used to have sex in the tanks.There is nothing like getting a BJ standing in a tank, but they are only 5' tall I am 6',my head was out the manhole smileing.I wonder where she is now.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-30-2005, 07:12 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
When I was single,I worked at Fruehauf L.B.T. Omaha, A gal and I used to have sex in the tanks.There is nothing like getting a BJ standing in a tank, but they are only 5' tall I am 6',my head was out the manhole smileing.I wonder where she is now.</font>

I think I found her http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/pics/color/pics/ilc06.jpg

IOWOLF
06-30-2005, 07:19 PM
OK, 3ph, I have had enough of your ****,You dont have to hijack everyones thread to be an A hole to me and make this personal. Please stop, that was the nice way I ask.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-30-2005, 07:24 PM
IOWOLF, I'm Sorry. I was under the impression that since you give it, you also can take it. I'll stop giving it.

-Adrian

Your Old Dog
06-30-2005, 07:25 PM
IOWOLF, was that a tank round? Kind of like Bill's Oval office!

I was a grinder at GATX. They make railroad tank cars. They had a midnight turn nurse who would rest her womanhood on your elbow as she worked at taking debris out of your eyes. It was the best luck of all to go to first aide! Rumour has many got lucky. I didn't, my eye really hurt http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

IOWOLF
06-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Dog, it was wider than tall.Hummm that would be oval also.

IOWOLF
06-30-2005, 07:43 PM
3Ph, I have never given it to you, you just jump in and be a dick. If any one is offended by me or my words they will tell me ,You stay out of it.

[This message has been edited by IOWOLF (edited 06-30-2005).]

spope14
06-30-2005, 08:30 PM
I worked in Yellowstone for seven summers and a winter back in my college days. we used to get ALL SORTS!!!!

had a guy fired one morning for getting real drunk the night before. Seems he went down to the field where a moose was known to graze in the late evenings and nights. Tried to ride the moose bareback. Obviously against the law, and more obviously stupid, seeing a moose weighs in about 1500 pounds or better. He was fired late morning after he arrived back on site from the Lake Yellowstone hospital. I was there for that one, wht a sight!!!!!! I would have thought the terrible beating he took would have served good enough, but federal laws mandated his removal.

had another person and his girlfriend fired for being stupid in Yellowstone. Sems they decided to have a bit of fun with the tourists in the campground, would go up in the middle of the night and start scratching on camper sides and tents. Growling all the while. Nearly got shot in the process, or tranquilized, or whatever they do to griz when they are endangering humans. I was not there for that one.

Late one evening, Loud series of bangs in the parking lot at Grant Village Yellowstone. Seems a redneck employee had had enough of hiding his 45 from the rangers, also had had enough liquor, and decided to sight in his gun on a Lodgepole Pine (whatever that tree did to him, I will never know). Guns are quite illegal in YNP, we all know that as employees. 1 million acres of land to be an idiot in where you most likely NOT be found, but he decided to do it in the parking lot by the employee housing that also housed the local rangers.......

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 06-30-2005).]

BillH
06-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Why are guns illegal at Yellowstone? What about grizzly protection?

IOWOLF
06-30-2005, 08:36 PM
they don't need guns silly, they have teeth.

wierdscience
06-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Well lets see,I have worked with....

A guy who stole a John Deere 410 backhoe one piece at a time.A guy who stole a city lamp post while it was in use.

Oh and a buddy who was kicked out of the Army(during Vietnam)for stealing helicopters.

I worked with a few girls that were a bit wild too,one in particular skanked around with EVERYBODY,AC/DC she was,not me thou,I caught on to her quick and didn't want anything I couldn't wash off http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

dvideo
06-30-2005, 09:50 PM
When the old USSR was crashing, everything imagineable was being sold off by soviet troops in Germany. I have seen some of the things... Stories of someone with a vintage T-72 they bought ($500) still in a basement today.

--jr

chief
06-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Tucker,
Don't feel bad I am kind of in the same boat
for the same problem.
One day at work we were remarking about a recent episode "America's most wanted", it
was about two older guys who decided SS wasn't enough and thought armed robbery was a better pension fund. One of the welders
lifts his helmet and starts to point out errors in the show and then another guy says how do you know, the welder goes to his locker pulls out a photo and the robber was dear old dad.

mochinist
06-30-2005, 11:06 PM
I think I found her http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/pics/color/pics/ilc06.jpg

</font>

Oh cmon IOWOLF that is a funny response. lol

J Tiers
07-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Not so lurid, but....

Saw a co-worker out in parking lot doing something to his back bumper (vehicle is a 70's Cadillac). Knowing him, and not seeing any duct tape, I knew it wasn't a major repair. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Later I found out that what he was doing was sticking adhesive-backed shiny foil over the rusted-through spots on his bumper.....

This same guy fixed a car that had an engine fire...rewired it himself http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif .

Afterwards, to turn on the headlights, you went out front of the car, picked up the lump of duct tape, and switched the wall-switch type switch that was nearly buried in duct tape.

Same car had a plumbing gate valve for a heater control......

IOWOLF
07-01-2005, 01:48 PM
HERE is one not R rated,

A contractor I know stole a bobcat and trailer, he would take it to a jobsite and leave it there till the next job, did this for 2 years till it broke something then sold it as is where is.Never got cought in 12 years, statute of limitations expired now, he made enough to buy a used one and then a new one since.

Your Old Dog
07-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Chief, reminds me of a photo story while in Army.

We're standing barracks inspection. If the U.S.Army didn't give it to you they didn't want to see it. One of our older guys had a great sense of humour. He put a B&W glossy closeup of Sophia Tucker just dripping in pearls and cheap costum jewelry at about 60 years old and looking like a whore. The Captian opens his locker, burst out laughing and says, "who's this Monty?" Monty replies in a reverant and very sober face, "It's my mother sir!" The Captian takes his boot out of his mouth and moves on. We we're all able to keep it in check till they left, then all hell broke loose http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Monty tested LSD for the USGovernemnt in the early 60's He was brilliant but his nerves were so shot he may have been the only E5 with a guy to act as his secretary as he could neither write or type but served in the JAG office working on Congressionals. No light waits in those MOS's !

spope14
07-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Grizzly Protection? Sorry, no guns allowed, and the griz do quite well for themselves anyway.

Seriously, and maybe a few of you have read this information from the National park service web site - as you have prepared to go to Yellowstone - Please read in full:

"The best protection in Grizzly country is to wear little bells on your backpack while hiking, and carry a recommended grizzly repellant - Pepper Spray. The key to personal safety is to let the Grizzly know where you are, and in the event of an emergency, have a tool to protect ones self with.

The other way to protect yourself is to know how to identify the difference between Western Black Bear (Ursus meanus blackus) and Grizzly (Ursus horribulus and biggus) droppings (scat). One must remember the primary diet of a black bear is berrys, roots, and ferns. Grizzly Bears will eat rodents, dead animals, and some live prey.

To sum up the differences in "scat", Black Bear "scat" will be filled with little seeds, and parts of plants in it. Grizzly scat will have little bells in it, nylon, and will smell like pepper spray."

decoy91288
07-01-2005, 06:33 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
. . . he could neither write or type but served in the JAG office working on Congressionals. No light waits in those MOS's !</font>

This is very similar to a situation at Fort Ord in the early 70's. The installation congressional correspondent spoke at least four languages competently - English was not one of them. He was a 2LT and a Porteguese (sp) citizen drafted shortly after reaching the States to attend graduate school. I always thought the fact he could neither read nor write English well was a humorous army "accident" -- having read your story I am not so sure anymore.

Wirecutter
07-01-2005, 08:25 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
OK, 3ph, I have had enough of your ****,You dont have to hijack everyones thread to be an A hole to me and make this personal. Please stop, that was the nice way I ask.</font>

IOWOLF, I'm Sorry. I was under the impression that since you give it, you also can take it. I'll stop giving it.

-Adrian</font>

Honestly, I'd been thinking all along that you two were just razzing each other. Hell, we all do it. And we all know how weird Adrian is, anyway.

3 Phase Lightbulb
07-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Wirecutter,

I think most people, including myself, take their sense of humor for granted. Not everyone has one.

-Adrian

Wirecutter
07-02-2005, 01:54 AM
Wirecutter,

I think most people, including myself, take their sense of humor for granted. Not everyone has one.

-Adrian</font>

Well, If I were to choose, I'd like to pick the brains of you, ibewgypsie, IOWOLF, and precisionworks for starters. Probably Evan, too. Hey, we're all big boys here, at least in the physical sense. How do you get through life without a little humor? Those who don't get it can kiss my marbled butt. (Now there's an image for you.)

IOWOLF
07-02-2005, 06:51 AM
HEY, I have a sence of humor.I am sometimes too quick witted,ask my wife.

I just know who I can joke with and who I won't, And I will not with 3ph. However he rubs me the wrong way, prol'y since he got here.
I know,CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!

[This message has been edited by IOWOLF (edited 07-02-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
07-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Wirecutter, here is a scary image for you http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/pics/color/pics/ilc08.jpg

Orrin
07-02-2005, 09:49 PM
One of my fellow sailor/instructors at a US Navy prototype reactor had more adventure in him than common sense.

We were both lab technicians and our work station was adjacent to a big laboratory that the civilians used.

I noticed that this guy brought frozen pot pies for his lunch. We didn't have a kitchen or an cooking oven, so I wondered where he was baking the things. One thing I did notice, though: The crusts always came out charred black.

So, one day I asked him where he cooked his pies and he told me. In the civilian laboratory there was a small scientific oven. It didn't have a thermostat, so that's why his crusts always got a bit more than crispy.

When he told me what he was doing, I almost messed my drawers. That oven was used to dry reactor coolant samples for subsequent analysis! When the water gets hot in those things it always boils and splatters the insides.

Hoping that I was worried about nothing, I grabbed one of our G-M radiator detectors and checked things out. The oven pegged the meter on the highest range, 500 mili-REM/hour. So, I got out the big-un, the one that was only used in cases of ultra-high radiation levels, the AN/PDR-45. It read in Roentgens/hour.

Let me digress. If someone is exposed to 450 Roentgens, they have a 50-50 chance of being dead in 30-days.

I don't remember the exact reading on that AN/PDR-45, but I seem to recall it pegged out the lowest scale and I had to switch to a higher one!

The radiation wouldn't hurt his pie, but the radioactive crud falling off the insides of that oven and landing on his lunch went into his gut and probably lodged in his body, permanently. There, his own body zapped itself 24/7/365

This was the same guy who'd stick his head into a garbage bag full of hydrogen and breathe deeply. He did it for grins. It made his voice sound like Mickey Mouse.

A few years later our paths crossed, again when we were both civilians. It surprised me he was still alive.

Orrin

chief
07-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Orrin,
When I was at NSSF San Diego in the mid 70's
I got a call from the base CDO about a radcon
waste spill in the parking lot. I went to the window and looked the through the binoculars and sure enough there is yellow radcon waste bag.
I sent some patrolman to secure the area, called EOD and the tender radcon team. No one could move on the base for about 6 hours. It turned out that someone used the radcon bag to clean the burger king wrappers
and old beer cans out of his car. After that
the bags were under lock and key. Also had some clown throw a die marker into the water
and call up a say sub had a leaking reactor, the EPA found no humor in this at
all.

x39
07-02-2005, 10:57 PM
the EPA found no humor in this at
all. </font>

When you find something that the EPA does find humorous, you let me know.
About twenty years ago I worked in a factory with a silver foundry. The guy that more or less made things work there was a longtime employee who didn't make a lot of money. His wife worked on the production line for even less. Nonetheless, these folks also owned a popular bar and had a retirement home in the south. An ingot (they weren't real big) or two a week over twenty five years had financed a pretty nice lifestyle. Worst thing is, when he was busted, charges were dropped and all he lost was his job and benefits. The reason he wasn't prosecuted was that the silver belonged to a customer, and the missing quantities through the years had been written off as loss through fumes (at least that's how it was explained to me). This put the management in a rather delicate position. The thief's wife kept her job.
I always enjoyed working in big factories, the stuff that went on never failed to entertain.

Steven G. Trosper
07-04-2005, 01:07 AM
I work in a small factory-88 employees and there is very little that anyone would want to steal! What would you do with an empty aerosol can?

A kid I went to school with was all the time getting in trouble. But he honestly believed he was too smart to get caught!!!! He got caught everytime!

Last I heard, in 1996 at our 30th high school reunion, this same guy was living in Mexico-too many arrest warrents were out standing for him.

RobertLC
07-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Do any of you guys do "g-work" on the side?

x39
07-04-2005, 02:47 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RobertLC:
Do any of you guys do "g-work" on the side?</font>

Guilty as charged, but I never did paying work on some one else's time. Once at the aforementioned factory I was planning to refinish the rear brake drum off my Harley during lunch. I decided to get an early start on things and was making a stub mandrel to hold it when up walks one of the company VPs and asks me what I'm making. I told him I was making a stub mandrel and kept right on working. He looked on for a few minutes, said "Nice work" and walked off. Never told him what the mandrel was for... Another one, when I got my first job in a machine shop I was eighteen years old and was green as hell. I was hired as a "machinists helper", basically I handed stuff to one of the toolmakers and picked up after him. Anyway, the guy I was assigned to played rugby during his free time. One morning he told me to go out on the back loading dock and bring in his lime spreader ( or whatever they call the thing they make lines on field with), but to be cool and not let anyone see me because it was a "government job". I went and got the thing and was wheeling it through the shop leaving a faint white line behind me as I went when I encountered the owner of the shop, a big bull of the woods kind of guy who always had a cigar in his mouth. He asked me what the hell I was doing, and I shrugged my shoulders and told him it was something for the government and went on my way. He damned near swallowed his cigar. When I got the spreader to it's owner, he asked if anyone saw me, and I told him about my encounter. He just shook his head. That's when I learned what a government job was.

IOWOLF
07-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I used to work at "Omaha Standard" the truck body company, and in the 80's alot of people had flatbeds on there pickups.Most didn't pay a dime for them,company finnally got fed up with all the so called scrap going out and ending up in finished product and sitting in the employee parking lot.

Orrin
07-04-2005, 04:25 PM
This one come close to qualifying for a Darwin away. I didn't see it, myself, but I don't doubt the fellow who told me about it.

A fellow took a shine to a heavy-duty electrical extension cord he found on the job. So, he got the brilliant idea of taking off his shirt, wrapping it around his chest and mid-section, and then putting his shirt and coat back on.

Everything went according to plan. At the end of the shift the guy made it past the guards at the gate, just fine.

But, the cord was a bit too snug and it restricted the guy's breathing. On the bus ride back to town he eventually passed out--wasn't getting enough oxygen.

Lucky for him that someone found out what was the matter before it was too late.

Orrin